You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don

Major disappointment and another 2 points dropped.

People are wrong imo to harp on about keepers having their best game against us. I doubt that's true and even so, you could expect players of, ahem, lesser teams to raise their game against us.

I think we're using this line about keeper's have a worldie when they play us is over stated. Last season we hit the post so often and, nearly every keeper we played against had 'the game of their lives' etc, etc.

The bottom line is we arent clinical enough. We dont have the guile to break down stubborn teams. That's hardly surprising when you have to rely on one or two players to win you games.

Roll on end of the season. Oh almost forgot, got to find over 800 quid for next season in a few weeks too!

We re more vulnerable to conceding without henderson but we lack balance in an attacking sense when he plays over downing.

We were far better offensively when he went off today but we looked a lot more open.

we were snatching at chances again today. A bit of composure would have seen us win that game easily

Worth binning the declining Lucas then?

I thought we were more than a tad sloppy at times today.

But being honest we had more than enough chances to win the game. Just a shitty day for our forwards and a great day for their keeper.

I really find it hard to blame Rodgers for that.And I'm still very much in the 50/50 camp when it comes to him.

The next match thread is going to cause the forum to implode. I think we'll see the return of people who were thought lost to The War of 06-10 and a few people offering each other out.

It will be one for the ages.

rafa-benitez-wink.jpg

I think you should start the match thread early, even today maybe to give it time to get the juices flowing.

It was never going to last. Even Cherouy had a few good games at the start, remember.

I disagree.

And I wouldn't bracket Sturridge with that waste of a kit.

Johnson and Lucas were carried today. Need a rest - ie being dropped. Too weak for too long.

And I rate both of them highly.

Whys sturridge gone so poo?

Not sure of the answer to this question, but he is one of the most one-footed players we've had recently, isn't he? Worse than Riise, even.

The way he dribbles at times, whenever the ball's on his right side he still stretches his left boot all the way across his body like some sort of contortionist to make sure he doesn't have to touch it with his right foot. As long as he's scoring no one will care, but when he's losing the ball that way like he was today it's irritating.

I don't like this 4-3-3 lark.

I'd to a sort of a 3-2-3-2 however, in reality it's an old fashioned back five with the two wing backs given license to move up the wing, without worry, as the three centre backs with Lucas in front, still provide cover.

Having the wing backs work the wings, leaves Gerrard and either Coutinho or Hendo to work the centres. Downing will be sold anyway, so if he's dropped, so be it.

With Coutinho and Stevie thrusting through the middle of the final third, and options of both Suarez and Sturridge in front of them, with Johnson and Enrique offering the wing play / cross plan B alternatives, I think we'd offer more strike capability and not be so stretched at the back.

Woeful finishing in that game, and all the promise of the Suarez-Sturridge synergy is gone.

Rodgers obviously dislikes Henderson despite us not looking as good without him on the pitch.

Dont think playing both Coutinho and Sturridge works as it leaves us with no striking option from the bench.

Coutinho is a brilliantly skillful player but doesnt look a 90 minute player yet.

Sturridge is looking like the player i hoped we wouldnt buy.

I understand their GK had a blinder but failing to score against two of the worst teams in the league leaves questions to be asked.

Im not sure we can even keep Suarez with Rodgers in charge let alone attract the players we need.

I wouldnt be gutted to see Rodgers go if we were able to keep Suarez and attract a better quality of manager who could also attract better players too.

Im just scared we have become satisfied to be a top half team packed with average players.

My worst fears about Sturridge are coming true. No game intelligence, the reason Chelsea shipped him out. I've nothing bad against Suarez who was wasteful as well, but just a dip in form. On another day at least three of those goal attempts would go in. It's just one of those days, no reason to blame Rodgers at all.

Not sure of the answer to this question, but he is one of the most one-footed players we've had recently, isn't he? Worse than Riise, even.

The way he dribbles at times, whenever the ball's on his right side he still stretches his left boot all the way across his body like some sort of contortionist to make sure he doesn't have to touch it with his right foot. As long as he's scoring no one will care, but when he's losing the ball that way like he was today it's irritating.

ask any serious chelsea fan

because he is poo

Worth binning the declining Lucas then?

No he's the only dm we have.

Look what happened against Southampton in the first half without him and we ve been far better this season after he came back from injury.

His job is to break up play and protect the defence.

We havent conceded in last 2 games. Ok his passing has been poor at times but the problem is we ve stopped scoring. Nothing to do with lucas.

Look what happened against Southampton in the first half without him and we ve been far better this season after he came back from injury.

We havent conceded in last 2 games. Ok his passing has been poor at times but the problem is we ve stopped scoring. Nothing to do with lucas.

Lucas is a bit of an enigma.

I always think we look better with him in the side, but he arrived as an attacking midfielder and has said in interviews that is where his heart is.

Although we have not conceded in two games, those games were against West ham and Reading.

Since January when we bought Sturridge and Coutinho, we are the leagues second highest scorers.

Suarez is still the league's top scorer. But he hasn't scored in four league matches since Spurs, and we've had back-to-back goalless draws. If we're in a slump now, towards the end of the season, is that mental, physical? Is it the manager? If our fortunes are tied to Suarez, how do we get him scoring again? Not directing all of these questions to you, but as you pointed out, our scoring form since January has been very good.

I think in the first half we looked like a team who's manager had told them he didn't give a shit about qualifying for Europe. Now, I think we can all agree that the Europa League is a shitty knock-off CL with no luster to it mainly because of the format change and the fact that winning it gets you a few million and then fuck all as it no longer has the CL tie-in, but a manager just should not be saying those things and certainly not to fucking press. I thought we only truly became urgent when Reading decided they were going to try to win the game and you could argue that it was later, when we were running out of time. Sure McCarthy was out of his skin, and we had some bad luck as well but this is a team that had only kept 3 clean sheets all season prior to playing us. We had the advantage man for man across the park, every single one of our players is better than theirs (yes even Downing) and yet we could have very easily lost.

As far as Lucas goes he's clearly not at his best. We have no one else so he'll continue to play but we need competition for him. Him being an attacking midfielder is probably never going to happen at this club. I think he has it in him, but he's not going to beat out Gerrard for that role anytime soon, though if we had another DM then I'd have him over the rest of our midfielders next to Gerrard (assuming we play the 1 dm - 2 CM/AM midfield going forward).

I always think we look better with him in the side, but he arrived as an attacking midfielder and has said in interviews that is where his heart is.

Although we have not conceded in two games, those games were against West ham and Reading.

I doubt he ll be an attacking midfielder for the remainder of his career.

Carra played up front when he was 11.

Plsyers dont always immediately find their true position.

There is nothing in lucas game that says he should be anything other than a dm

I agree. I don't think our scoring problems have anything to do with Lucas.

Lucas is a defensive midfielder. The interviews I've seen, he's accepted that role. I don't think he's flirting with becoming an attacking midfielder now, not with Gerrard and now Coutinho in the team.

I think we have 13 clean sheets this season. That may have more to do with the quality of the opposition (e.g. Southampton, Reading, Fulham, Norwich at home etc) but that doesn't mean that Lucas isn't doing his job as a DM.

My worst fears about Sturridge are coming true. No game intelligence' date=' the reason Chelsea shipped him out. I've nothing bad against Suarez who was wasteful as well, but just a dip in form. On another day at least three of those goal attempts would go in. It's just one of those days, no reason to blame Rodgers at all.[/quote']

I blame Rodgers because he's the manager that picks the team, the system, makes the subs (and keeps taking off the same player despite him not being the poorest player, etc etc.)

We have just drew 0 0 twice in a row against Real Madrid and Barcelona you know, sorry I mean West Ham and Reading.

He cant keep usi g the same excuses every time we fail to win and expect us to accept them.

And if the likes of Ashley Williams is the type of player we are looking at signing we will be having the same discussion in 12 months time.