You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Borini be sold in the summer?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should Borini be sold in the summer?

• Yes - He's not good enough, cut our losses.
    • No - He deserves more time and did well when used.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is proposing something completely different altogether. This thread is asking whether it's a good idea that the manager should sell a young player, who he bought, who has struggled with injury and has thus only had limited time to adapt to a new league in a new country, in a team still developing a new style. As such a sale would be at a significant loss, the question this thread asks is "Is Borini a write-off?"

It's a preposterous question. There was a time I would have called it a question unbecoming of Liverpool fans, but I've seen too much of this sort of nobheaddery to be surprised any more.

It is a simple question. If you think he needs more of a chance and time, that's fine and it is why I have asked the question.

I agree with that. But if we got an offer for what we paid, I'd probably sell as he has struggled thus far and sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

Now nob off!

The lad has only started 9 games and made 6 sub appearances.

Fucking hell, give him a chance.

Surely by your own admission he has already been given 15 chances?

To summariise the comments throughout this thread he hasn't managed to impress anyone at all. The best anyone can say is to keep giving him chances. Why? What can you see that in him that justifies giving him more chances?

If I could see something that justified such optimism then I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I do not see that he has any attributes that will contribute to a team capable of winning the PL.

He lacks pace.

His shooting is poor.

He isn't good in the air.

His positioning is poor.

He can't beat a man.

He is not very brave.

He doesn't make runs through defences.

I just don't see any part of him that could be coached up to a standard that will make him good enough to play in a team capable of winning the PL.

If you are just hoping that a miracle will occur and he will become a top class striker then I would prefer to sell him now.

Surely by your own admission he has already been given 15 chances?

To summariise the comments throughout this thread he hasn't managed to impress anyone at all. The best anyone can say is to keep giving him chances. Why? What can you see that in him that justifies giving him more chances?

If I could see something that justified such optimism then I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I do not see that he has any attributes that will contribute to a team capable of winning the PL.

He lacks pace.

His shooting is poor.

He isn't good in the air.

His positioning is poor.

He can't beat a man.

He is not very brave.

He doesn't make runs through defences.

I just don't see any part of him that could be coached up to a standard that will make him good enough to play in a team capable of winning the PL.

If you are just hoping that a miracle will occur and he will become a top class striker then I would prefer to sell him now.

The Sonae smoke is having an effect.

The Sonae smoke is having an effect.

More likely to be the alcohol. :)

But what can you see in Borini that makes you think he will come good?

As written above I just don't see any basis for great optimism. To me he is about a similar standard to Neil Mellor and should go the same way. He may pull a great goal out once or twice a season but that is nowhere near what we need even from a squad player.

As written above I just don't see any basis for great optimism. To me he is about a similar standard to Neil Mellor and should go the same way. He may pull a great goal out once or twice a season but that is nowhere near what we need even from a squad player.

Put it this way. He's 21 years old, has struggled for form, fitness and confidence, hasn't played 10 games for us. The lad has barely even started his career with us. He's scored goals everywhere else he's been and did enough last year to get called up to the Italian national side for the Euro's he's highly rated in Italy and by Rodgers.

I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do. It's up to you if you don't but I think it's really fucking hasty to write such a player off after less than 10 games. I suppose it's just symptomatic of modern football.

I don't think that he's even began to justify the faith that the manager has shown in him, by signing him. Injuries have played a part obviously but the fact remains, HE'S ONLY STARTED 9 GAMES.

"I sold him on fifa because his rating was 75 so we need to get rid of him because he's shit".

Have a fucking word, NINE GAMES!

Sure.

What should I be looking for, what are his best qualities?

Again:what are his talents?

You're right; he's completely devoid of any talent. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. We should bin him, sign another young player and then you can write him off after 3 games if you don't like what you see.

Everybody involved in Borini's career so far is wrong and you are right.

Seriously? If we are reduced to deciding whether Borini is "fucking garbage" or just "pretty shit" then it must be time for him to see alternative employment opportunities.

In answer to the second part, IMO Henderson was "fucking garbage" last season if we are using the same scale of measurement. He has been one step up from "pretty shit" this season. If someone offered £16m for him I would snatch their hand off.

Think you misunderstood the point I was making about Borini.

I don't think that he's even began to justify the faith that the manager has shown in him, by signing him. Injuries have played a part obviously but the fact remains, HE'S ONLY STARTED 9 GAMES.

"I sold him on fifa because his rating was 75 so we need to get rid of him because he's shit".Have a fucking word, NINE GAMES!

I have no idea what this sentence means.

I've seen dozens of players over the years who only needed a bit of time and for someone to show a bit of faith. And I can't think of any who have ever really turned it around.

If I could see something in him that made me think he could come good then I would say keep him. As for other people rating him they can carry on supporting him and picking him for Italy or whatever. It doesn't make him good in our team. A few months ago everyone was telling me that Sahin was the answer but he has gone and probably had less game time than Borini has already had.

Compare him to Ngog. He wasn't good enough either and was quite rightly shipped. But everyone was using the same types of messages - he needs time - he needs a run in the team etc etc.

If we signed Sahin on a permanent deal in the summer he'd still be ere now. No question about it. He was shipped out because we couldn't afford for him to get fit only to sed him back to Madrid at the end of the season

I half agree and disagree. If we had signed him on a perm deal he almost certainly would still be at the club. I don't think affording to get him fit was an issue.

My view was that he wasn't good enough to improve us from an eighth place team to a top four team and this was recognised by the rest of the coaching staff.

If we signed Sahin on a permanent deal in the summer he'd still be ere now. No question about it. He was shipped out because we couldn't afford for him to get fit only to sed him back to Madrid at the end of the season

I think Rodgers original plan has changed a bit with our personnel... so Nuri was surplus to requirements.

I half agree and disagree. If we had signed him on a perm deal he almost certainly would still be at the club. I don't think affording to get him fit was an issue.

My view was that he wasn't good enough to improve us from an eighth place team to a top four team and this was recognised by the rest of the coaching staff.

I agree but I don't buy into this idea that Rodgers is some kind of ruthless guy who'll just cut players off if they have a bad spell. He wanted to sell Henderson, Enrique and Downing at the start of the year and now they're arguably three of his most important players.

If Sahin had been on a permanent deal then Rodgers would've had a lot more patience with him. As he will with Borini I expect.