You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

mancs away 13/1/2012

Bjornebye

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to dredge up the Rodgers Out thread but having reflected on it for a bit have to lay responsibility for the defeat at his door again.

- Picked a defensive time with no goal threat and isolated Suarez up front in the first half as the line-up suggested would happen.

- Persists with Allen, Downing. Sterling offers a threat but needs to be dropped for a bit. Don't understand why Shelvey isn't getting a game. At least he offers us something going forward.

- Great managers (Benitez being one) admit it when they've got it wrong and bench or move on players who aren't playing well or good enough, even if they are their own buys. Allen needs to be dropped (not even sure he's good enough to cut it for us).

On the plus side at least he realised how bad things were and made a positive change at half time bringing on Sturridge.

I still don't think he's good enough and a better manager would get more out of these players. Hope he proves me wrong but he needs to learn from his mistakes today.

Edited by Red22

I think it wlll be 2-1 to them. They will go two nil up and we will start playing and get a consolation.

Any idea of Monday's Euro-Million numbers ?

The most baffling thing to me is that when we press we do OK , when we stroll ( The Hodgson Plan ) we look awful, so what to do we do at Old Trafford for an hour ? We were outworked easily in a Utd / Liverpool game & that is unforgiveable.

Looking forward, we have attacking options now so I want to see a distinct improvement over the next 16 games, starting next week.

On a player personnel note, I am probably one of the most mildest posters on here & can't ever remember me giving any player ott criticism but if we can get £5m for Downing I would take it. An earlier poster nailed it for me. At times he deliberately takes up positions to ensure he doesn't receive the ball.

Allen was awful ( but was one of the few that put a sweat on first half ) & Sterling was totally ineffectual ( but has showed earlier promise ) but Downing's lack of effort fair took my breath away.

Pointing out our managers failings in selection, preparation, tactics and stubborness is not "Sky Generation Bollocks".

Rodgers is at fault today.

Utd have shipped goals all season and we respected them FAR too much from the off.

This is not a matter for debate.

It happened.

By sky generation bollocks I am referring to the over the top ranting and doom merchant hyperbole rather than a reasoned sensible debate. Although I have come to realise in my brief tenure on this site that I have more chance of nailing Pippa Middleton up the wrong 'un that I have to the reasoned debate bit. *Pippa! Don't run away!

I thought Allen was garbage first half but excellent second half and dont think he contributed to us losing,certainly didnt go missing like Downing always does.

The formation and attitude cost us because once we went 2 down there was no way back,despite Sturridge great efforts.

Its a must that we play two strikers as much as possible,a 433 simply doesnt work just yet.It might in the future but not yet.

Expected a bumming and although we got roughly fingered for an hour, we never quite got the full length - is that even a positive?

Amazing to see the difference when we get extra players on the pitch to support Suarez, almost gives me hope for the rest of the season. You can put it down to them taking their foot off the gas but they very rarely do that, especially not in this fixture.

I'd be happy if we just encased Downing in Carbonite and hung him over the Shankly Gates as a warning to other shithouse footballers looking for a big payday. I've tried not to be negative about him but the fucking neck on him giving us the shhhh gesture then turning in performances like that? The cheeky cunt. I remember him getting the ball out wide and the commentator saying "here goes Downing on the counter attack" sure as shite, stops, turns and passes the ball back...infuriating.

Anyway, I hope with our added attacking options we start going into games actually believing we might win, if we do I think we might surprise a few, here's hoping.

Heres an example. Buying Sturridge was an excellent decision and shows that he can spot a good player. Buying Allen for £15m, though, was a terrible decision.

Allen was the classic "voice and ear" in the dressing room,someone whom Rodgers could trust. His value to Rodgers transends the stuff you see on the pitch.

I am staggered that you feel able to pass judgement on Sturridge, a Chelsea reserve, who has immense promise, but has only shone at Bolton.

Allen was the classic "voice and ear" in the dressing room,someone whom Rodgers could trust. His value to Rodgers transends the stuff you see on the pitch.

I am staggered that you feel able to pass judgement on Sturridge, a Chelsea reserve, who has immense promise, but has only shone at Bolton.

A £15m voice and ear hey. Great use of money.

Be staggered then. I've followed him for years and your claim that he has "only shone at bolton" is the lazy stuff i'm used to. In other words, just wait and see. I bet you, as long as we have players able to supply him in midfield, he will score a hatful for us and make his name here.

Worst part was Martin Tyler saying something like "fair play to Liverpool for making a game of it in the second half, it's great to see!". Like we're some sort of fucking QPR.

Suppose it's more of a sign of how far we've fallen.

Frustrating and yet so predictable.

No disgrace losing to United. They are probably the best team in the league this season, are very good at home and they have lots of players who can win games for them.

But we all knew that before the match. We all said we can't do what we did last season and have Suarez isolated upfront and that's exactly what we did.

We played Suarez upfront, when it was clear to nearly everyone (and people said this on this topic days before the match), that we needed Sturridge to support Suarez, some pace on the counter attack and give United more to worry about.

When we did that in the second half, we looked the better side. Just like we did last season when we brought Carroll off the bench and then got a goal and nearly snatched a draw.

Rodgers totally gets the blame for this defeat IMO. His team selection was cautious, played into United's hands and it cost us.

But I have l little problem with the result in isolation it is a tough place to get a result. I didn't like the tactics or team selection.

I also don't see why Allen got picked over Henderson. Allen nearly gifted United a goal with that poor back pass. He is weak defensively. He doesn't offer much going forward. If that was Jay Spearing who played like that today he would have been slated.

Allen wasn't the only poor performance. Agger and Johnson made two mistakes to cost us goals again. I don't like criticising Johnson as he is very good for large parts of matches. But he is still making too many mistakes, he must have made 5 individual mistakes which have cost us goals this season, that is not a world class player who does that.

Totally agree with Paul and others about Downing, he was awful and I would love to see us sell him in January.

Overall it was positive how we played when Sturridge was on the field. But Rodgers has to learn from this and has to be more bold in the future.

Expected a bumming and although we got roughly fingered for an hour, we never quite got the full length - is that even a positive?Amazing to see the difference when we get extra players on the pitch to support Suarez, almost gives me hope for the rest of the season. You can put it down to them taking their foot off the gas but they very rarely do that, especially not in this fixture.

I'd be happy if we just encased Downing in Carbonite and hung him over the Shankly Gates as a warning to other shithouse footballers looking for a big payday. I've tried not to be negative about him but the fucking neck on him giving us the shhhh gesture then turning in performances like that? The cheeky cunt. I remember him getting the ball out wide and the commentator saying "here goes Downing on the counter attack" sure as shite, stops, turns and passes the ball back...infuriating.

Anyway, I hope with our added attacking options we start going into games actually believing we might win, if we do I think we might surprise a few, here's hoping.

:laugh:

Top wordage sir. How I would love BR to come out and say that in his post-match interview.

It was a perfect day for BR to take a gamble and start Sturridge instead of Downing or Sterling. So what if he only lasted 65 minutes. We went into the game as underdogs so he really didn't have much to lose. Instead we just went for boring ineffectual predictability and paid the price. In terms of quality and experience throughout the team they have an edge over us at the moment. But in terms of work rate they were in a different league particularly first half. I recall an interview with Souness many years ago and he said that they have to go out and earn the right to play their football in each game. We just don't have that determination or backbone anymore.