You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You'd have to be mental to even consider leaving him on the bench.

Can't agree with that... He's shown nothing to guarantee him a start this season (or the last three). We're short on options, yes, but given the same playing time I'd expect Shelvey, Suso (and even Sahin) to produce better performances than Steven has done this season...

Hes not finished, but hes definitely on the wane and right now looking a shadow of himself.

You'd have to be bonkers not to see that.

But, I've been saying it for months, his best position of use to the team would be as close to Suarez as possible.

Playing him deep is providing no benefit to us at all, even if it is because Lucas is out. Its not doing any good.

If we start keeping him further up the pitch he'll finish the season with a decent haul of goals and definitely set up more than a few.

Its down to Rodgers to have the balls? brains? whatever to do it.

We can't keep going on like this anyway.

Hes not finished, but hes definitely on the wane and right now looking a shadow of himself.

You'd have to be bonkers not to see that.

But, I've been saying it for months, his best position of use to the team would be as close to Suarez as possible.

Playing him deep is providing no benefit to us at all, even if it is because Lucas is out. Its not doing any good.

If we start keeping him further up the pitch he'll finish the season with a decent haul of goals and definitely set up more than a few.

Its down to Rodgers to have the balls? brains? whatever to do it.

We can't keep going on like this anyway.

While his passes surely will lead to a few goals, I'm not quite sure we'll see Gerrard with a lot of goals from open play wherever we play him. Looks like he's lost some pace and is hesitant about shooting. His power, pace and determination was what really set him apart from the rest in his heyday, now that it's gone (at least temporarily) I can't see him being as effective...

While his passes surely will lead to a few goals, I'm not quite sure we'll see Gerrard with a lot of goals from open play wherever we play him. Looks like he's lost some pace and is hesitant about shooting. His power, pace and determination was what really set him apart from the rest in his heyday, now that it's gone (at least temporarily) I can't see him being as effective...

He will not fluff a gilt edged chance like Henderson or Enrique did though. If he is around the play with Suarez he will not need anything other than to finish.

There is some talk of Torres now being fucked due to the high workload with us in those last Benitez yrs, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true; isn't it also a reality that we worked Stevie just as hard?? Isn't he now paying the price for being our talisman through the thick and thin of the last decade???

There is some talk of Torres now being fucked due to the high workload with us in those last Benitez yrs, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true; isn't it also a reality that we worked Stevie just as hard?? Isn't he now paying the price for being our talisman through the thick and thin of the last decade???

So these two players are fucked from games they played years ago? That fucking Rafa! What did he do make them run a marathon to warm the pair of them up before the games or something?

Funny Gerrard always seems to get a bit more motivated when ever he gets that England shirt on! I'm surprised its taken till this season for people to notice, can probably count the games on both my hands he's been brilliant in for the past few seasons.

So these two players are fucked from games they played years ago? That fucking Rafa! What did he do make them run a marathon to warm the pair of them up before the games or something?

Funny Gerrard always seems to get a bit more motivated when ever he gets that England shirt on! I'm surprised its taken till this season for people to notice, can probably count the games on both my hands he's been brilliant in for the past few seasons.

For England though even when hes in midfield he seems to have less responsibility than he does for us.

Right now, hes basically seems to be spending 70% of his match in a deeper role than hes ever had before.

For England though even when hes in midfield he seems to have less responsibility than he does for us.

Right now, hes basically seems to be spending 70% of his match in a deeper role than hes ever had before.

Why though? By design? He has always retreated further and further back if the team is struggling. The only time he trusted any one behind him with the ball was when Alonso was at his best. Do we really want/need him taking the ball off the CB's foot in our own third?

Last night was a good example how Gerrard gets judged differently to others.

I thought he was below average by his standards, but his stats are still better than Allen and Henderson:

From 442 stats zone:

Gerrard:

Passes 62/69

Completion Percentage of 90 percent.

Tackles 2/2

Interceptions 2

Allen:

Passes 60/69

Completion Percentage of 87 percent

Tackles 2/3

Interceptions 0

Henderson:

Passes 23/29

Completion Percentage of 79 Percent

Tackles 1/1

Interceptions 2

It is not like all of Gerrard's passes are basic like Allen or Henderson either.

He also did the header for our goal!

This is true; it makes me question the value of Allen (playing the Lucas part) if it isn't freeing up Stevie G to work his magic.

He was one of the best players at the Euros so I doubt he's "lost it" in 4/5 months.

However, I'd imagine he's being overused in a system which requires a shitload of work from a midfielder, which would be pretty tough for a 32 year old who's not had a proper rest over the summer.

Personally, I think he's a bit burned out and playing him in a 3 exposes it

He is a man going through the motions. We no longer see the dynamic bursts from midfield, the 25 yard screamers into the top corner. What we see is a shadow of the greatest player ever to wear the shirt, ambling around in midfield, the occasional 30 yard pass still finds its man, his corners are shit, but they always were.

Its very sad to see, if he was a pet we would have had him put down by now . maybe, after 10 years of being unbelievable in midfield we expect too much from him, but in my opinion its time for Jonjo to take over .

Just play him as a fucking forward.

We don't score any goals so we're willing to try a leftback there but not one of the greatest players to have ever played for the club.

1225021_o.gif

Same last year as well. Can't score, but allow best finisher at the club to hang around the centre circle or deeper. Own worst enemy.