You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Maybe, but would you not agree there are many on here who are skirting round the issue. Personally I think its fucking clear as day.

I don't know mate, I think many are still riding that fence and willing to complement what he does right and criticise what he does wrong. Still very early days, but respect is earned in my book, not granted.

EDIT: I probably mean adulation there, not respect.

I don't know mate, I think many are still riding that fence and willing to complement what he does right and criticise what he does wrong. Still very early days, but respect is earned in my book, not granted.

And that I dont have a problem with and its the way it should be. It's the snide bollocks that irks me. The same as it was with any other manager (bar Hodgson granted)

This is about where I am at the moment, although I'm not entirely convinced he's "good" yet, until he shows he can balance the defence with the attack. Still think it was a daft thing to say though.

For me he's clearly a good manager after what he did with Swansea. I didn't want him here, I'd have preferred Kenny to have been kept on and backed with more money, but FSG have gone with their own man and they're entitled to do that.

The problems Rodgers will face are keeping the squad together, fixing a leaky defence and keeping pace with the top 4 who will not hang about this summer. It will be tough next season.

Guest San Don
And that I dont have a problem with and its the way it should be. It's the snide bollocks that irks me. The same as it was with any other manager (bar Hodgson granted)

The snide bollocks in your opinion robbie.

I've said time and time again, judge him at the end of the season. That doesnt mean Im not going to make any comment about him during the season.

Before you go around painting all and sundry with your 'snide bollocks' talk, go on that abortion of a thread 'is rodgers becoming a laughing stock?'

You wont find a single post from me robbie. Do you want to know why that is? Its because I wont give that thread the time of day. Its shite and its contemptable. IMO.

But you carry on with your holier than thou cardie type responses to anyone who doesnt share your POV.

The snide bollocks in your opinion robbie.

I've said time and time again, judge him at the end of the season. That doesnt mean Im not going to make any comment about him during the season.

Before you go around painting all and sundry with your 'snide bollocks' talk, go on that abortion of a thread 'is rodgers becoming a laughing stock?'

You wont find a single post from me robbie. Do you want to know why that is? Its because I wont give that thread the time of day. Its shite and its contemptable. IMO.

But you carry on with your holier than thou cardie type responses to anyone who doesnt share your POV.

To be fair tho, Robbie seems a good lad, whereas, your a complete fuckin prick.

- Carra tonight failed backpass (great game from him otherwise)

- Skrtel v City failed backpass (ditto for him that night)

- Pepe v City away recently with a kamikaze imitation

- Gerrard's missed peno v West Brom

- Suarez away at Zenit with a load of good chances for a crucial away goal

- Jones' handling error at Oldham

- Shithouse linesman at the pit

All glaring individual errors (Suarez away is more of a collection, but the pain of that is being felt especially now) that have fuck all to do with Rodgers, yet ultimately they have resulted in having booted Liverpool from two cup competitions and cost 6 or 7 more points in the league and still with a shout of 4th.

If there is anything on Rodgers for this season, perhaps the weakened team that went out to Swansea in the League Cup tie, but I've mentioned in a thread somewhere (this one maybe?) that the timing of that game meant that whilst it was an unpopular decision by Rodgers to rest some players, it was probably a prudent one.

Also, you could say, with the benefit of hindsight, that not getting Sturridge in the summer has not only cost league points but cup-tied him to Chelsea and denied the team his services against Zenit. However, there were definite worries about his attitude, which I even wondered about in his fleeting appearances for Chelsea, as he virtually never passed the ball, regardless of his position near goal. There have even been glimpses of it in a red shirt, though possibly knowing that he is guranateed more starts here, he isn't trying so hard to impress. At Chelsea, Torres was his competition, even when they were both on the pitch, whereas it is pretty clear that with Suarez, he has a strike partner and has gelled very well with him.

For me, the remainder of this season, or 'Kenny Time' as I think of it, is a great chance to get some continuity in the side and put some others on notice for next season. It's a damn shame that Borini got injured when he did, as it would have been a great opportunity for him to get some precious game time and hopefully put away a few chances. As Rodgers clearly rates him though, he isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and even more to next season, as with a more settled squad (with hopefully a bit more depth), I can see good things on the horizon.

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”

2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”

4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”

5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)

6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”

8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”

9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”

16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”

17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”

19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

20. ”We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

You can see why he takes stick?

No 4 is my favourite, complete lack of perspective, like the bloke who's been promoted above his ability, yet tries his hardest to not let it slip that he knows it as well.

I'm honestly not arsed by what he says. Ye he is a bit wishy washy, talks a bit of overly romantic shite from time to time. The fact is that you can say what the fuck you want when you're managing a winning team. Take many of Shanks' quotes. They'd have been hammered in this day and age if he wasnt a serial Champions League winning manager.

Ill judge my manage by what I see on the pitch rather than what I see in a press conference. It's going to be a long road but I do think we are moving forward. Our own individual errors have cost us big time. As an attacking unit by and large we have been great. He deserves the opportunities to iron out the defensive issues because once that is sorted and a balance is found there isn't going to be a hell of a lot wrong with us. It's going to take time to find that balance, it took Rafa time, it took Houllier time.

I'm honestly not arsed by what he says. Ye he is a bit wishy washy, talks a bit of overly romantic shite from time to time. The fact is that you can say what the fuck you want when you're managing a winning team. Take many of Shanks' quotes. They'd have been hammered in this day and age if he wasnt a serial Champions League winning manager.

Ill judge my manage by what I see on the pitch rather than what I see in a press conference. It's going to be a long road but I do think we are moving forward. Our own individual errors have cost us big time. As an attacking unit by and large we have been great. He deserves the opportunities to iron out the defensive issues because once that is sorted and a balance is found there isn't going to be a hell of a lot wrong with us. It's going to take time to find that balance, it took Rafa time, it took Houllier time.

Pretty much spot on. He needs to be a bit more nil by mouth but that will come i hope.

I like watching us play this season bar the very odd game and that's half the battle for me.

Yes, but it was harmless and he was trying to compliment the fans.

Yes but it was harmless...

was here for the first one, for the ‘ghost goal’. For me, it wasn’t a goal,” said Rodgers

Liverpool v Zenit St Petersburg: Brendan Rodgers calls for spirit of 'ghost goal' to help seal Europa League progress - Telegraph

If Hodgson had said this, you wouldn't say it was harmless, would you? harmless hypocricy...

the degree of tolerance for this incompetent idiot called brendan rodgers tells me this club is lost and may be lost forever

those fans who continue to tolerate him are now part of the problem

every day that passes with this guy in charge is a further nail in the coffin

great clubs do not tolerate this

we are no longer a great club

this guy is getting the breaks on the back of an above average season with swansea and on his ability to sell a concept of fluid football - not winning football

the guy has no idea how to spot a good player and has no idea about how to win games as opposed to trying to maintain posession

he has absoslutely nothing to contribute in a manner which would start addressing the clubs real problems

the liverpool way has lost its way

we are a laughing stok

and while getting rid of brendan rodgers won't solve everything it will be the best possible start

people say the heart of our club is the fans and i agree with that

but many fans seem to have forgotten what made liverpool a great club

Guest davelfc

and while getting rid of brendan rodgers won't solve everything it will be the best possible start

It would be the worst possible start.

FSG have some vision of building a great team for the bottom, maybe something that you could have achieved 40 years ago (and let's be honest ourselves and quite a few others did) but not now.

Clubs with far more resources than ourselves will (as we have done in the past) cherry pick your up and coming players and set you back again. Rest assured that if Rodgers starts to show the kind of management of our club that he was employed for then he will be taken as he was from Swansea.

This is the cold hard truth of where we are, we have owners with a crackpot plan, one that would have had fans up in arms years ago. Their saving grace is that they're not hicks and gillete. What hurts is that they have appointed absolutely nobody with the footballing knowledge of how to implement that plan.

They send their best legal team over to fight a compensation claim against Commoli but allow Suarez to flounder when we really needed them then. They have appointed a salesman as CEO, he's a great salesman but he really needs someone as manager that isn't experienced enough to point out his flaws as a football CEO. Hence a young inexperienced manager.

If they sack Rodgers they appoint Martinez. We have owners that are happy to cream off the commercial profits while we float around mid table. We know what happens to teams that are mid table, they lose their best players to teams with more ambition that are higher, we should know because we've been buying those players ourselves for many years.

Sacking Rodgers while we have FSG here is pointless. Any decent players we bring through the ranks will be sold or leave to win things, I have absolutely no doubt about that. Amazing what fans will swallow when it's wrapped up nicely.

It would be the worst possible start.

FSG have some vision of building a great team for the bottom, maybe something that you could have achieved 40 years ago (and let's be honest ourselves and quite a few others did) but not now.

Clubs with far more resources than ourselves will (as we have done in the past) cherry pick your up and coming players and set you back again. Rest assured that if Rodgers starts to show the kind of management of our club that he was employed for then he will be taken as he was from Swansea.

This is the cold hard truth of where we are, we have owners with a crackpot plan, one that would have had fans up in arms years ago. Their saving grace is that they're not hicks and gillete. What hurts is that they have appointed absolutely nobody with the footballing knowledge of how to implement that plan.

They send their best legal team over to fight a compensation claim against Commoli but allow Suarez to flounder when we really needed them then. They have appointed a salesman as CEO, he's a great salesman but he really needs someone as manager that isn't experienced enough to point out his flaws as a football CEO. Hence a young inexperienced manager.

If they sack Rodgers they appoint Martinez. We have owners that are happy to cream off the commercial profits while we float around mid table. We know what happens to teams that are mid table, they lose their best players to teams with more ambition that are higher, we should know because we've been buying those players ourselves for many years.

Sacking Rodgers while we have FSG here is pointless. Any decent players we bring through the ranks will be sold, I have absolutely no doubt about that. Amazing what fans will swallow when it's wrapped up nicely.

i agree

no decent owners would have brendan rodgers anywhere near this club

Guest davelfc
i agree

no decent owners would have brendan rodgers anywhere near this club

I didn't say that, with the right support and structure it would have been far less of a gamble than it is.

Different owners may have waited a year to give Kenny more time and allow Rodgers another year to prove himself in the premiership. Trouble is we can't go back and change it now.