You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

5 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Yep, claim you made the decision for the good of the party, but under-cut the (apparent) winner at the same time by pointing out that had you crossed the 100-MP threshhold and decided to run, you would have won the member vote.

It also leaves questions about what sort of deal Sunak made to get him to drop out, assuming such a deal was made.

Sunak didn't get him to drop out. He dropped out because he didn't have the nominations and everyone knew it. He threw his hand in when after leaking he reached 100, the media reaction was "you said that yesterday" as yet another MP declared for sunak. 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Essentially he's done this to undermine Sunak! 

What a sad, vein,narcissistic cunt he is!

His statement kind of undermines sunak, but he's done this as he thought he'd get the backers. He's just trying to walk away while looking like the winner. It's classic trump shit, who claimed the only way he could lose the election was if it was rigged. I'm hoping our media take the piss out of him over it. 

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Ha ha i reached out for the unity of the party and my opponenrs rebuffed me.. he is going to tear that cunt of a party apart

Yup.

Snide cunt:

From BBC:

Parliament.

Quote Message: "I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

"I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

Quote Message: "A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the Government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.

"A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the Government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.

Quote Message: "I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.

"I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.

Quote Message: "There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

"There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

Quote Message: "But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.

"But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.

Quote Message: "And though I have reached out to both Rishi (Sunak) and Penny (Mordaunt) - because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest - we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.

"And though I have reached out to both Rishi (Sunak) and Penny (Mordaunt) - because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest - we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.

Quote Message: "Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds. "I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time."

"Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds. "I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time."

It's got to be embarrassing for the cunts who did back him. Who do they back now?

Sunak? "Oh we're so sorry we didn't back you in the first place, we would of course have but Elephant Man promised us a stick of rock from his holiday if we backed him but now we'd rather have a place next to you in your cabinet"

Mordaunt? "Now we have to work together to stop Sunak being PM and our plan was always to back you, we just didn't want to show our hand too soon. We can be great in your cabinet."

22 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yup.

Snide cunt:

From BBC:

Parliament.

Quote Message: "I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

"I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

Quote Message: "A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the Government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.

"A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the Government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.

Quote Message: "I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.

"I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.

Quote Message: "There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

"There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

Quote Message: "But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.

"But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.

Quote Message: "And though I have reached out to both Rishi (Sunak) and Penny (Mordaunt) - because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest - we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.

"And though I have reached out to both Rishi (Sunak) and Penny (Mordaunt) - because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest - we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.

Quote Message: "Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds. "I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time."

"Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds. "I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time."

Get the papers, get the papers. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Yes, hopefully the end of the cabinet jobs for the likes of him, Patel and the Britannia Unchained cabal. Need to keep an eye on Braverman and Badenoch though. 

I'd guess they'll get jobs (maybe they'll wait until the new year with Braverman).

It'll be more of the 'normal' conservatives, Hunt, Mordaunt, Shapps, Javid, Zahawi, Wallace to keep the few batshit ones he throws an olive branch to in check.

Mogg, Dorries, Coffey  etc can all be fired into the sun.

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd guess they'll get jobs (maybe they'll wait until the new year with Braverman).

It'll be more of the 'normal' conservatives, Hunt, Mordaunt, Shapps, Javid, Zahawi to keep the few batshit ones he throws an olive branch to in check.

Hopefully so, that Tugendhat is the only one I have the slightest time for at all.

Coffey to get thrown out of a window

31 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yup.

Snide cunt:

From BBC:

Parliament.

Beyond arrogance.

What will we be up to by friday then - about the 4th or 5th different person in most of the top cabinet jobs in a little over a year...

For example since June 21 we have had following as health secretary...

Hancock

Javid

Barclay

Coffey

All in a period where the nhs has faced its biggest ever issues.

Since the scum won the last election we have had 5 chancellors:

Javid

Sunak

Zahawi

Kwarteng

Hunt

And of course here comes PM number 3 since that election.

Strong and stable government.....

27 minutes ago, an tha said:

Good point from bbc....

Expect opposition parties to pounce on the fact Johnson said he was "uniquely placed to avert a general election now".

He knows exactly what he is doing there.

The central plank of the Johnson supporters since Friday has been he is the only one with a mandate to govern from 2019. The opposition parties should be finding every MP who's said that in recent days and making sure it's brought up in PMQs this week. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The central plank of the Johnson supporters since Friday has been he is the only one with a mandate to govern from 2019. The opposition parties should be finding every MP who's said that in recent days and making sure it's brought up in PMQs this week. 

Is right

The article Zahawi had deleted.

The choice Conservatives face this week is critical for the nation. Our next prime minister will have their work cut out for them. We are now in unchartered territory. They must unite the Conservative Party and guide the country through the rough seas ahead.

I entered politics because I wanted to help make sure Britain succeeds. Having fled Iraq under Saddam Hussein, I feel an ineffable debt of gratitude to this most special country. We are a nation of fighters. We bounce back. With a renewed focus on delivery and the right leadership, we will weather the storm. 

That leadership must once again come from Boris Johnson.

After apologising for his mistakes and reflecting on his failures, he is a reinvigorated man. He retains his razor-sharp wit, ability to inspire and common touch. But he has also evolved.

The evolution of Boris

This summer as chancellor of the exchequer, I saw Boris 2.0 emerging. After that undeniably difficult time, he was genuinely contrite and honest about his mistakes and his part in where things went wrong. He finally had the headroom to focus. This manifested itself in real, if unheralded, delivery successes.

Together, Boris and I unlocked more investment in nuclear energy. We finally got the Aria advanced research organisation up and humming to drive cutting-edge innovation. 

We committed even more billions of pounds to both the defence of Ukraine and its reconstruction as brave Ukrainians repel Russia.

He is now absolutely clear on the renewed importance of organisation, good governance, and party unity. He has committed to building a broad Cabinet. I hope that my friends Penny Mordaunt and Rishi Sunak will be in that team as well.

Boris will not only reunite the party, but he will deliver on the winning mandate granted to him by the British public in 2019. Let us not forget who it was who led us to that 80-seat landslide and the highest percentage of the vote for any party in more than 40 years.

Never underestimate the underdog

Nobody else can better face off the threat posed by Sir Keir Starmer and win elections. After all, Britain loves an underdog.

The latest polling shows this, with Boris once again fighting fit and performing best in this race on who would be the better prime minister. He commands an even bigger lead among those who voted for us in 2019 – voters in the Red Wall who trusted him to deliver for the communities Labour failed for so long. As the co-founder of YouGov, I can see the best route to victory at the next general election in Boris.

Our manifesto delivery was disrupted by events – few foresaw the pandemic or war in Europe. But through both of these, he provided the leadership we needed. Firstly, he broke the deadlock no one else could and got Brexit done – we’re out!

Next, during my time as vaccines minister, we worked together to deliver the world’s best vaccine campaign, saving countless lives. At a crucial moment in our fight against Covid, he backed me to order many more doses of vaccine than most thought necessary, in the event of another mutation. That’s how we kept schools open and hospitals working through omicron.

He also backed Ben Wallace to arm Ukraine early against the advice of some, and the UK led the international response to Russia’s brutal illegal invasion. It is no surprise that Ukraine’s official Twitter account tweeted its support for his return. His clout on the world stage will help ensure our alliance stays strong.

Getting on with the job

In two years' time, we need to look back on a legacy of delivery. That means delivery on the immediate energy and cost of living crisis, and on our promises made to the British people. Levelling up, turning Global Britain into a great trading nation once again, giving our NHS the backing it needs – the list goes on. Now is the time to get back on with the job.

While his return is sooner than many of us expected, Boris 2.0 is best placed now to unite our party, deliver for the country and win the next election. The stakes couldn’t be higher. Now is the time for everyone to get behind him.

From a beeb journo…

Johnson’s ‘reaching out’ to Sunak and Mourdant consisted of telling Mourdant to stand down and tell her backers to vote for him and telling Sunak he should stand down and he’d let him be chancellor again if he did. 

He didn’t even have 80 votes let alone 102! 

• Upvote 1