You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

i5 or i7

Going to buy a new computer and cant decide between these two.

There basically exactly the same computer,but one is a i5 the other i7.

Basically the i7 is 60 pound dearer than the i5,but I have been told the i5 is just as good as the i7.

Does anybody know or advise spending the extra cash to get the i7.

Heres the two computers.

Processor

Intel Core i5 2500k Quad Core Processor @ 3.3GHz

Memory

8GB DDR3 RAM running at 1333MHz

Hard Drive

1TB SATA2 Hard Drive - Fast 7,200RPM spindle speed

Graphics

Intel HD3000 Graphics Technology

VGA Output

Motherboard

ASRock H61M-VS

Optical Drive

DVD write speeds of up to 24X and read speeds of 16X

CD write speeds of up to 48X and read speeds of 48X

Audio & Rear Connections

1 x PS/2 Mouse Port

1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port

1 x VGA/D-Sub Port

6 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports

1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)

HD Audio Jack: Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone

Front Connections

2 x USB2.0

1 x Microphone in

1 x 3.5" Audio out

Hers the i7.

Processor

Intel Core i7 2600k Quad Core Processor @ 3.4GHz

Memory

8GB DDR3 RAM running at 1333MHz

Hard Drive

1TB SATA2 Hard Drive - Fast 7,200RPM spindle speed

Graphics

Dedicated ATI Intel HD3000 Graphics Technology

VGA Output

Motherboard

ASRock H61M-VS

Optical Drive

DVD write speeds of up to 24X and read speeds of 16X

CD write speeds of up to 48X and read speeds of 48X

Audio & Rear Connections

1 x PS/2 Mouse Port

1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port

1 x VGA/D-Sub Port

6 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports

1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)

HD Audio Jack: Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone

Front Connections

2 x USB2.0

1 x Microphone in

1 x 3.5" Audio out

l believe this is one of the major differences between the two

Another significant performance difference is how the Core i7 and Core i5 products will be handling hyper-threading. Hyper-threading is a technology used by Intel to simulate more cores than actually exist on the processor. While Core i7 products have all been quad-cores, they appear in Windows as having eight cores. This further improves performance when using programs that make good use of multi-threading.

All Sandy Bridge Core i5 processors have hyper-threading disabled, and all Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors have hyper-threading enabled. This is a major feature difference of Core i5 vs Core i7 processors, and it will give the Core i7 products an advantage over Core i5 processors in some heavily multi-threaded applications.

Yep. Core i3's also have hyper threading too.

With Intel CPU's it really is quite simple, you pay for what you get. The i5 2500k is a cracking cpu that overclocks really well. But if you are going to run the cpu as standard then i7 beats i5, i5 beats i3, i3 beats pentium & so on. The 2nd generation i5 is about the equal to the 1st generation i7 & in some cases of the top i5 better.

What are you going to use the PC for?

Yep. Core i3's also have hyper threading too.

With Intel CPU's it really is quite simple, you pay for what you get. The i5 2500k is a cracking cpu that overclocks really well. But if you are going to run the cpu as standard then i7 beats i5, i5 beats i3, i3 beats pentium & so on. The 2nd generation i5 is about the equal to the 1st generation i7 & in some cases of the top i5 better.

What are you going to use the PC for?

It s just for some gaming and videos but very high usage as in daily use.

I might get the i5 2500k but with 16 gig of ram and a graphics card.

I watch a lot of movies etc online.

I was going to say.... budget dependent it would be worth investing in a video card than using the on-board graphics (much improved as they are).

tbh i doubt you will see any difference between 8 & 16gb of RAM unless you are using photoshop and such intense programs.

I've built quite a few pcs for my mates recently for gaming etc. Relatively low budget for a gaming system around £600-£700. Have tended to go for an i5 or top i3, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd + 1tb hdd, & gtx 550ti or hd6770.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If you're overclocking - and I assume you are, as you're looking at unlocked processors - then the difference is minimal. I depends on how budget dependant you are. Personally, I'd wait for the Ivy Bridge chips.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
overclocking really isn't necessary

That's a bizarre statement. Why would you buy an unlocked chip, at a premium price, aimed directly at enthusiasts and overclockers, and then not overclock it to get another 1ghz or more out of it? It's perfectly safe to do on these chips, even at low voltages, especially with decent cooling, like H60 or H100.

That's a bizarre statement. Why would you buy an unlocked chip, at a premium price, aimed directly at enthusiasts and overclockers, and then not overclock it to get another 1ghz or more out of it? It's perfectly safe to do on these chips, even at low voltages, especially with decent cooling, like H60 or H100.

because even at Intels default settings the i5 & i7 will do everything a person needs & then some.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That would completely depend on what they're doing, mate. If you don't want to overclock, don't get either of those chips, just save money and get the 2300 or something. I find it quite easy to max out four cores at 4.5ghz.

because even at Intels default settings the i5 & i7 will do everything a person needs & then some.

Have to agree with George, NV, we're running i7's at work with 8 GB ram and a decent graphics card and it's easily running 3d cad & modelling software.

No real need to overclock as much anymore, especially when consider the voiding of warranties etc.

Plus water cooling for a pc just seems like a bad idea!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Have to agree with George, NV, we're running i7's at work with 8 GB ram and a decent graphics card and it's easily running 3d cad & modelling software.

No real need to overclock as much anymore, especially when consider the voiding of warranties etc.

It doesn't have to void the warrenty. This chips are made for the overclocking scene. Hell, Intel has a whole section on their site devoted to it.

I repeat: if you're not going to overclock, don't get the K series, unlocked chips.

Plus water cooling for a pc just seems like a bad idea!

You don't need watercooling. Any half-decent aftermarket aircooler will do the job.

You go into your bios, set a couple of settings, done. That's what they're designed to do. You two sound like noobs ;)

Looks like I going to be buying this.

• i7-2600k Intel (3.4GHz) + Fan
  • 8gb DDR3 Ram (16g Max)
  • 500g Sata III Hard Drive
  • DVDRW +/- DL
  • High Performance Asus Motherboard USB 2.0/USB 3.0
  • NVidia GTX550Ti 1.0g DDR5 VGA/DVi/HDMi
  • Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
  • Black Micro ATX Case 500W
  • Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

450 pounds

It doesn't have to void the warrenty. This chips are made for the overclocking scene. Hell, Intel has a whole section on their site devoted to it.

I repeat: if you're not going to overclock, don't get the K series, unlocked chips.

You don't need watercooling. Any half-decent aftermarket aircooler will do the job.

You go into your bios, set a couple of settings, done. That's what they're designed to do. You two sound like noobs ;)

Ha ha, just been out of the loop for a couple of years thats all.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You can't lose either way. They're nice and quick at the stock speed, and nice and quick overclocked. Great chips, these new Intel ones.