You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa

Bjornebye

I honestly believe that it would be a good solution for Rafa to come back to LFC once upon a time. I believe he is an incredibly undervalued manager.

But please, for the love of everything that's holy, have a little faith in the guy we have right now. 1 year into his (and the owner's reign) and we talk about a failed project? Please.

Spot on

Is it a possibility Rafa would have made a just as good a Director of Football as Commolli?

I think he will make an excellent DOF at some stage.His attention to detail, his vast experience of what makes Real Madrid tick, and the absence of any media work would suit him down to the ground - and I think he would be very effective.

Obviously if he actually replaced Comolli, Kenny would spontaneously combust!

Rafa as DOF wouldn't work. It's a totally different job to what he'd consider himself best at, and what he wants to be doing, coaching players.

Also makes me laugh that anyone could seriously suggest that he'd of done a better job than Commolli, when you know so little about what one or the other actually does on a day to day basis.

Rafa as DOF wouldn't work. It's a totally different job to what he'd consider himself best at, and what he wants to be doing, coaching players.

Also makes me laugh that anyone could seriously suggest that he'd of done a better job than Commolli, when you know so little about what one or the other actually does on a day to day basis.

Rafa doesn't want to coach players, he wants to do EVERYTHING.

I could not disagree more.

Rafa was defined by a ten year managerial apprenticeship at Madrid, following on from his time as a player. Few men understand the mechanics of how a great club works better than a man who has played at one, and worked at every staff level other than First team Coach, and that includes Kenny, Slurgie etc.

A friend is an FA Coach and spent a few days at Melwood, meeting Rafa and the staff. He was amazed at how involved Rafa was in everything - to a fault.

Rafa has proved himself to be an excellent impact manager, not least by implementing the things that he knows make a difference. Having a position where he could implement that from the Boardoom, with out the day to day pressures which can blow any manager off course (Suarez) would play very much to his strengths.As manager he couldnt let go- and couldn't do everything. As DOF he would be in a position to see through a strategic plan which is his real love. There was no legacy of players pining for him after he left any of his jobs - but the results shone through nonetheless.

Edited by xerxes

My heart overrules my head with regards to Rafa. With that in mind Id take him back in a heartbeat if Kenny left.

Then I think about it and Im not too sure. It would be a tough decision and most people who dont hate him would have a serious think about it before making a decision. That shows the class of the man.

I'd love Rafa back, though I can understand why others perhaps don't. As has already been mentioned by a few, I miss the European nights and the subsequent feeling of confidence when we came up against another European giant; I always felt we could beat anyone in Europe under Rafa. It's the sort of expectation of victory that United have instilled in the league under Ferguson, in my opinion.

Yeah, the rotation and consistently timed substitutions were frustrating, as was his handling of the media at times. But every manager has his weaknesses.

I miss how he pronounces "quality" and his describing every single new signing (including Voronin) as having "game intelligence". I love Kenny and I love Rafa...where's Harry Hill when you need him?

The sooner Rafa gets a Job the sooner we can all fucking move on.

He's had a job since leaving us. It doesn't stop people pining for for him. Less than a month since we won a trophy as well as being at Wembley for the F.A Cup semi and some people are talking about bringing him back.

It's creepy bordering on infatuation.

He's had a job since leaving us. It doesn't stop people pining for for him. Less than a month since we won a trophy as well as being at Wembley for the F.A Cup semi and some people are talking about bringing him back.

It's creepy bordering on infatuation.

I know, I mean from now because like you say the constant pining for him is beyond sad.

He was a great tactician, he took us to great heights, I respect that, but its over.

There should be no question of Kenny leaving this summer! I am not convinced he is the right man, but it's Kenny, and there has been enough this season to warrant another season.

I just hope that you can teach an old dog new tricks, because he needs to learn a few things.

Like it or not, the minute Kenny signed his current 3 year deal everything started at .

Now we have to rebuild, yes its boring, it takes time, weve done it a thousand times before but this is the way we have to do it, unless you throw billions at it for short term success, which we cant do and probably wouldnt want to do, so those saying he deserves at least another season are being short sighted IMO. Lets give him his actual deal at least, he deserves that much and see where we are.

I agree, never wanted kenny to go when i started this thread, just found myself typing and got all sentimental about those european nights. Fucking pains me to watch chelsea enjoying the european cup whilst we are licking our wounds from a wigan defeat....

Kenny deserves and will get another season, i think he can turn us around but so much hinges on this summer and who we bring in.... a nice fa cup to go with the cc might tempt people a bit more though....

This thread is like many similar threads in that they are basically about changing (or not) the present manager because we've had a shite season.

In the League at least.

When Dalglish took over, most of the posts I read at the time were in favour of giving him at least 3 years to clean up the mess left by Cancer & Aids.

I find it strange then that after just over 1 full year in charge so many seem to be asking or hinting that he should step down/be sacked.

If, by the same time next year, we haven't made decent inroads in the League then maybe Dalglish should be questioned about his ability/inability to do the job and not before.

As for Benitez, I thought he was great when he was here.

But he did the one thing you never do if you want to stay anywhere, he took on his bosses.

I accept he did it for the multitude of reasons many have posted about (us/himself/the club, delete as appropriate) but that he did will stick with him and I suspect many prospective employers will run shy of a man who would dare to take them on.

And, finally, he took on ferguson and lost, thanks to the biased media.

He is likely to always have that hanging over him in an industry where, unfortunately, you need the media on your side most of the time.

I agree, never wanted kenny to go when i started this thread, just found myself typing and got all sentimental about those european nights. Fucking pains me to watch chelsea enjoying the european cup whilst we are licking our wounds from a wigan defeat....

Kenny deserves and will get another season, i think he can turn us around but so much hinges on this summer and who we bring in.... a nice fa cup to go with the cc might tempt people a bit more though....

This is another line that gets put across all over the internet, the 'this summer is so important' line, i mean is it ? Is it really ?

Small details Id say, I mean IF we had won just 2 more games we'd all have a completely different outlook id suggest.

I dont think this summer is that important at all really, no more important than others anyway.

People are making mountains out of molehills for me.

This is another line that gets put across all over the internet, the 'this summer is so important' line, i mean is it ? Is it really ?

Small details Id say, I mean IF we had won just 2 more games we'd all have a completely different outlook id suggest.

I dont think this summer is that important at all really, no more important than others anyway.

People are making mountains out of molehills for me.

this summer is important though with or without wins in the last 2 games, if you think it isn't then your deluded. We are 31 points off the top and 13 away from 4th.... wake up

I wonder what Ant thinks about bringing Rafa back?

I'd say he thinks you are a wool who wears shit clobber. Jamie Carragher is scouse lid. And Rafa would never get the team to play to that level of our all-time great performance, winning 5-2 against Fulham.

A lot of whinging and attention seeking may also be involved in his post.

Like it or not, the minute Kenny signed his current 3 year deal everything started at .

Now we have to rebuild, yes its boring, it takes time, weve done it a thousand times before but this is the way we have to do it, unless you throw billions at it for short term success, which we cant do and probably wouldnt want to do, so those saying he deserves at least another season are being short sighted IMO. Lets give him his actual deal at least, he deserves that much and see where we are.

I agree.

We are all entitled to a mumble and a groan, but the club suffered from three managerial changes in seven months. Maybe Kenny will get it right, maybe he won't. It took Rafa four years to have a proper title tilt. Any new manager will inevitably want new money to spend and authority to cut and run on some of our not so wise recent purchases.

I think there is much to be said for FSG saying, "We gave you a three year contract, we backed you in the transfer market - make it work."

"Suffering" from managerial stability and continuity may be no bad thing.

Rafa doesn't want to coach players, he wants to do EVERYTHING.

Rafa wanting control of everything was more to with the political situation in the club at that time. If he was back here again, if FSG deemed a change was necessary, I think we would see a different Rafa. One that doesnt have to chose sides in a boardroom melt down.

Such a shithouse comment from Mark Bright.

Has he got anything better to do with his life? Retired from footy, tons of money in the bank, casual work on telly when everyone else is unavailable, is there any need to be such a wind-up merchant? Could he not do some charity work, or spend some more time with his family, or do something with grass-roots football? Nah, I'll continue to badmouth the only other manager aside from Alex Ferguson, from this country, to win a European Cup for the last 30 years, tee hee, that'll make me look clever...

Fucking pack it in you spastic, you sound like a bitter, xenophobic, cunt. Oh, and the Chelsea fans fucking hate you as well.