You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa

woodylfc

I was just thinking actually, the one positive I'm still taking form this season is our back five, and i realised of course that four of those five were Rafa signings......

But yeah, Rafa with that kind of money i think would have shown a bit more imagination than Kenny/Comolli and their buy british policy(handicap) have anyway. Then again, we have still signed some very good players too. Jose and Luis are genuine players. Coates, though still all potential, looks excellent.

It all just seems very obvious to me, buy on the continent. There's a few reasons many British players don't play abroad, and quality is one of them, so why spend so much time money and effort with singing the likes of Downing, Carroll and Henderson, when you could have a Mata, or a Vidal, or a Klose? For not much more, and in most cases, a good deal cheaper. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Sometimes we were, lets not paint a picture like it was all perfect, there were many league performances like today under him.

It wasnt perfect, what team is, but good players were kept and bad ones shipped out.

When Agger is the most competent on the ball and has had pretty much the only attempt on goal, theres clearly something wrong.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's hard not to feel a touch nostalgic towards the better days of the Rafa years, but that's natural when you're doing poorly on the pitch. I think we need to ride the wave, back the manager with some cash for new players, or we sack him and let somebody else buy players. It's an easy choice. I say back him.

Rafa could attract big stars to the club. The down side was big wages. We cannot overlook that. As long as we had CL football, big wage bill was sustainable. Rafa got us to finals and semi finals which meant good money. So he had every right to spend what he did.

It's hard not to feel a touch nostalgic towards the better days of the Rafa years, but that's natural when you're doing poorly on the pitch. I think we need to ride the wave, back the manager with some cash for new players, or we sack him and let somebody else buy players. It's an easy choice. I say back him.

I agree. Got to give him more time but it makes me want to cry thinking what could have been with the 1st real massive cash injection into the club if it was spent wisely. It's almost like the diouf transfer window.