You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

What made things extra special today was the fact the Aussies had a load of their ex players dressed up in Aussie coloured suits in the crowd, the dumbfounded look on their faces was a rite treat. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I have to say I wasn't as pessimistic as many before this series started albeit I thought we would lose a close fought battle. Our performances against NZ came just at the right time and also the way we played in the 50 overs game, the momentum thankfully has stayed with the test squad and barring a miracle we are going to regain the Ashes Urn in style!! 

I'd love to have been sat just behind that huge bunch of Aussies today, it must have been hugely enjoyable giving them shit.

The thing that's always impressed be about the Aussies, their positive approach, has actually been their undoing in these last two matches. They don't have anyone who can dig in when the situation dictates that's what is needed. Ponting was reluctant to go too critical but he must have been appalled. I'd love to know what former batmen of real class like Steve Waugh, Justin Langer, Mark Taylor, Matt Hayden and the rest make of it all. Steve Smith comes here as the number one batsman in the world and apart from the flat pitch at Lords he's looked like a rabbit in the headlights, no way is he better than AB De Villiers, and I'd rate both Kane Williamson and Joe Root as better based on what I've seen this summer. As for Root, the improvement in him since the Ashes series here in 2013 is unbelievable, he used to stay in but the scoreboard went nowhere, now he ticks along at 4 an over and always looks in control.

• Upvote 3

Smith's 'standing' has come on the back of a shitload of runs on flat tracks in Australia last summer against a pop gun India. He is finding his level now.

I think he'd generally have been better sticking at 5.

Coming in at 3 has exposed him to the moving ball and he gets in trouble.  When it didn't move at Lords he got 250 runs.  Coming in at 5 the top order would have got through the morning - not yesterday obviously! - and he'd have less movement to deal with.  Mind you then Australia are stuck with who to bat at 3.  Shocking how bad Australia have generally become on English pitches and at playing the seaming ball.

Traditionally, the truly great batsmen bat 3 or maybe 4... they might have started lower down.

Richards, Chappell, Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara to name some...

You are right, JJ.  Quite simply, there are no great batsmen in this Australian side.  None.

Now, whether this "good at home, crap away from home" is a batting technique/temperament issue - using three England v Australia test series as the sample over the last 2 years - and is to be put down to the increasingly pervasive influence, importance and priority of T20... that becomes a more interesting philosophical topic. And a very real one in my book.

Right boys - bat all day and stick them in for the last 15 overs of the day to see if we can pick up a couple of wickets. Then have another nice overcast morning on Saturday to really get at them.

Would be the perfect day. Pick up 2-3 wickets and I'll be able to watch them regain the Ashes live on Saturday