You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny critical of Cup tie date

JohnnyH

Just been thinking about the rest of Kenny comments about "What if Spurs.... etc, well we maybe able to move to another date but can Chelsea? their still in all four comps there fixture list full.

Thats the thing, they would have had to have fitted it in somewhere, maybe even after the scheduled semi-final dates. The Europa schedule was already down for that week so the Football League always ran the risk of a fixture conflict involving one of the Europa League teams.

As it turned out, they came up smelling of roses. The fact that Liverpool and indeed Man City are being shafted is being put down to the suits saying......."bad luck old boy, nothing can be done, fixture congestion and all that you know"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His view is that the FA and Football League etc would fall over backwards if it was Utd for example so its about time they started listening to us.

He's a brilliant example of somebody who will not let our club be bullied by anybody,no matter who.

If Kenny had displayed your bravado and positivism on this, Vladi, we would not be having this discussion.

We would all agree that we have a case.That should be made behind strongly, behind closed doors. By going public, and failing to get the date changed ( as seems likley) it actually DOES show him being bullied and being ineffective. Always pick fights you can win.Suggesting that we as fans should consider whether to travel in the circumstances was a big gaffe, we give it 100% every game - even if others are not.

The Liverpool Way is to say that we would play Chelsea at 9am the following morning- and still put out a team to beat them.

The League Cup in practise is our easiest route back into Europe, there is a case for playing a weakened team in the League game, not the Cup one.

Now all of this may not amount to a row of beans, a careless aside on Kennys part, not a hanging crime. But as a club we HAVE to return to a winning mentality, on and off the pitch, let's hope that this was a minor blip, and that in practise we have a team at The Bridge confident, and able, to turn these Cockneys over - I would love that

I just don't get why people have seen their arse so much about Kenny's comments.

It's nothing more than a public berating of the authorities. Kenny knows we will travel in our numbers as usual. He's making this statement to suggest that Liverpool, one of the competitions biggest pulls in the standout fixture of the competition so far which will be broadcast world wide, may not take it seriously now due to the action of those in power, which in turn will piss off the competitions sponsors and so on. It's a way of ensuring that maybe in the future should a situation like this arise again, Liverpool may be dealt more favorably.

Any suggestion of a 'defeatist' mentality or 'getting his excuses in early' is absolute bollocks. Read between the lines and look at the bigger picture. The lads will be fired up and there is no way on this earth we will be fielding a reserve side. He is defending the club and looking out for our best interests.

I just don't get why people have seen their arse so much about Kenny's comments.

He's making this statement to suggest that Liverpool, one of the competitions biggest pulls in the standout fixture of the competition so far which will be broadcast world wide, may not take it seriously

If, as you are suggesting, Kenny is saying that LFC cannot cope with two games in three days, one in London and one in Liverpool, we are in big trouble and do not deserve to progress further in the competition.

The idea that the competition cannot cope without us is embarrassing, they managed without us after Northampton and Burnley.

We are in three competitions. LFC exists to compete and win. We are in no position to pick and choose which competitions we can be bothered with. Some argued that it was a good thing that we are not in Europe ( not me), because it meant that we could concentrate on the league and domestic cups. Now some are arguing that we cannot even cope with that!

It is hugely dispiriting to see how after a fallow period of five years that winning mentality is seeping away from some.

In years gone by it was said that the opposition had lost before they had even stepped on the pitch to play us, I never thought that I would hear us sounding as though we were that opposition.

We are LFC. We are going to Stamford Bridge to win. An LFC team should approach the game with that attitude whoever is playing in the side. We will play them on Monday- if they are up for it? And the fans DEMAND nothing less.

I am giving Kenny the benefit of the doubt on this one, getting it right every time at interview is an impossible task, it was a blunder, move on ,no damage done. Plenty of time to get it right on the pitch for the day.

Edited by xerxes

If, as you are suggesting, Kenny is saying that LFC cannot cope with two games in three days, one in London and one in Liverpool, we are in big trouble and do not deserve to progress further in the competition.

The idea that the competition cannot cope without us is embarrassing, they managed without us after Northampton and Burnley.

We are in three competitions. LFC exists to compete and win. We are in no position to pick and choose which competitions we can be bothered with. Some argued that it was a good thing that we are not in Europe ( not me), because it meant that we could concentrate on the league and domestic cups. Now some are arguing that we cannot even cope with that!

It is hugely dispiriting to see how after a fallow period of five years that winning mentality is seeping away from some.

In years gone by it was said that the opposition had lost before they had even stepped on the pitch to play us, I never thought that I would hear us sounding as though we were that opposition.

We are LFC. We are going to Stamford Bridge to win. An LFC team should approach the game with that attitude whoever is playing in the side. We will play them on Monday- if they are up for it? And the fans DEMAND nothing less.

I am giving Kenny the benefit of the doubt on this one, getting it right every time at interview is an impossible task, it was a blunder, move on ,no damage done. Plenty of time to get it right on the pitch for the day.

Mate, you are the one that started all the negative shit on this thread.

We know you are going to Stamford Bridge, we know what Shanks would have said (according to you), we know Liverpool fans demand nothing less than a win (thanks to you), and we're pretty clear you think Kenny made an error complaining about the timing of the fixture.

Now, fuck sake man, can you give it a rest?

This is getting a tad mypost-ish.

Edited by Skaro

That isn't at all what I am suggesting.

I am saying that he is making a point that we should not be forced to play two crucial games in 3 days and he is 100% right about that. No matter how you dress it up it isn't an idea situation, and I can't see why you have a problem with him kicking up a stink about it. He's saying it for the club's benefit.

Thank fuck for that. I doubt Kenny would be able to sleep otherwise.

We have a big enough squad to cope with 2 games in 48 hours. So we play a weaker team against Chelsea, that just means Kelly instead of Johnson, Robinson instead of Enrique, Bellamy instead of Suarez, Maxi instead of Downing etc. Should still be a decent team and if Chelsea field a team similar to the one that they fielded against Everton in the last round, they won't be playing their best 11 anyway.

Kenny wont be too worried by this, he is just pushing back a little to let the FA know that we are no pushovers and we wont dance to their Baconface serving tune. Its probably a matter of principal more than conditioning and recovery with Kenny. While playing 2 games in 3 days does give us a slight disadvantage, us being LFC actually means it gives us an advantage. We always perform when the odds are against us.

With a bit of luck our players would have had alot of time to think during this break and look at where they have been going wrong and about each others game. Wouldnt suprise me if the team just clicks and goes on an unbelievable run of form.

Guest San Don

It's nothing more than a public berating of the authorities. Kenny knows we will travel in our numbers as usual. He's making this statement to suggest that Liverpool, one of the competitions biggest pulls in the standout fixture of the competition so far which will be broadcast world wide, may not take it seriously now due to the action of those in power, which in turn will piss off the competitions sponsors and so on. It's a way of ensuring that maybe in the future should a situation like this arise again, Liverpool may be dealt more favorably.

Any suggestion of a 'defeatist' mentality or 'getting his excuses in early' is absolute bollocks. Read between the lines and look at the bigger picture. The lads will be fired up and there is no way on this earth we will be fielding a reserve side. He is defending the club and looking out for our best interests.

Top, top post. Shame it will be lost on many of the mongs though.

Relax shouter. He was fishing. I don't really appreciate the fishing as there are that many tools, wums, and idiots on here that it can be hard to distinguish who is what, but in this case, I'm pretty sure he's just messing.

The odd fishing trip is an excellent pastime. If all your posts are fishing then that's a little bit sad IMO. Although Kevin D is a master of the art ...