You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was genuinely shocked by Arsenal in this transfer window i've never seen anybody do suck a u-turn and change their philosophy like Wenger, he was scrambling around buying players who are way past their best, it just looked like complete panic and desperation.

Here's the thing though, i think there's a chance it wasn't panic and desperation at all. They have had ages to prepare. I think there's a good chance they held onto Nasri and Fabregas that long so they could keep hold of the money. Something is not right at the club.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am writing them off. Guess why. Because they are fucking shit.

They've been shit bottlers for at least a couple of seasons now and towards the end of last season completely threw in the towel.

Being shit last season an loosing Fabregas and Nasri doesn't improve that position it seriously deepen it. Jossi is average at best and not who you want in fight. Arteta is ok but even Evertonians I know aren't that arsed as he is passed his best.

Mertsacker has the turning circle of the Nimitz and will get bummed by Suarez. The Arsenal defence will now have to play a lot deeper or teams will just go over the top.

They are fucked

I am writing them off. Guess why. Because they are fucking shit.

They've been shit bottlers for at least a couple of seasons now and towards the end of last season completely threw in the towel.

Being shit last season an loosing Fabregas and Nasri doesn't improve that position it seriously deepen it. Jossi is average at best and not who you want in fight. Arteta is ok but even Evertonians I know aren't that arsed as he is passed his best.

Mertsacker has the turning circle of the Nimitz and will get bummed by Suarez. The Arsenal defence will now have to play a lot deeper or teams will just go over the top.

They are fucked

Yep. Crazy stuff. They don't buy players over a certain age as policy for several years, then rush in three with various question marks over their suitability in the closing minutes of the transfer window.

Serious dearth of strikers too.

In my opinion, (as the alcoyte just pointed out) something isnt right with Arsenal. Theey are in turmoil in the boardroom and the manager has lost the plot. That Kroenke is another Hicks. He's going to screw them big time and it has already started. They are selling their best players and replacing them with 30 year old has-beens.

Some of their fans are delighted with this. I dont see how they can be. If my club (which we were last year) was selling our two best players and replacing them with rubbish I wouldnt be happy at all.

If we dont get fourth we only have ourselves to blame.

Stan Kroenke may be many things but another Tom Hicks he is not.

Stan Kroenke may be many things but another Tom Hicks he is not.

Perhaps not as bad but he did take out a huge credit line from Deutsche Bank to buy the shares & refused to rule out dividends in his offer letter. The repayments have to come from somewhere & long-term he will be expecting a profit. I suspect he's building the cash pile for himself but Usmanov is preventing him from taking it just yet

I have always been impressed by Mertesaker, but apparently he is quite slow, and Arsenal don't do slow! They will have to defend deep with him in the side, which isn't exactly a strength of theirs (see us with Roy last season).

Van Persie will get injured, and they will get suspensions, lego head looks quite good, but not Nasri/Fabregas good, they are still miles better than the rest but look considerably weaker than last season.

Put it this way, who would get in our team from Arsenal? Song, Van Persie, possibly Diaby, and Gervinio from what I have seen.

Most importantly Wenger has lost the plot. He has had 6 years of studious youthful football. Buy cheap and hope they come good with precise technical coaching. It has been a failure. It worked well when he had a strong core of bedded in pros, solid at the back with tremendous world class flair up front. To replace that flair and solidity is expensive and takes time. Time has run out and he has no plan B. Chuck a few quid at it and hope it buys him another season.

I love Arteta as a player, but he's been dogged by injuries and hasn't looked the same in the last 12 months. He's not a patch on Fabregas.

Yossi could fit in very well with the Arsenal ethos, but he can't go past players like Nasri. It's another downgrade.

Andre Santos looks pretty useful, I think he can play centre back as well? Perhaps marginally better than Clichy.

Mertesacker is pretty good, probably their best defender now, and that's the problem, he's got nobody there to learn from or lead him, he's immediately the best defender at the club, the most experienced. Koscielny, Vermaelan and Squillaci will drag him down amid a flurry of botched rotation from Wenger in an attempt to keep them all happy.

And it's all underpinned by a goalkeeper who isn't very good. He's alright like, but he isn't very good.

Ahead of that you've got Song, Ramsey and Wilshire, and neither are particularly disciplined in terms of protecting a back four. Considering that Arsenal will now concede posession of the ball a lot more without Fabregas and Nasri, they are going to have to be careful in terms of midfield, and I don't think they've yet got the person to do that role well enough.

In attacking positions, it's a gypsy carnival. Gervinho, Yossi, Van Persie, Walcott, Park, Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh. First, not one of them is good in the air with the exception of Chamakh who once won a header. Second, all of them are lightweight with the possible exception of Gervinho, who is still lightweight for a big African striker.

It's a fairly limited set of attacking options for Wenger, once more he's going to attempt to pass it into the net.

Let's face it, Arsenal aren't going to win the league. Wenger has done fuck all for 6 years WITH some big players. Are you seriously suggesting he's bought the right players in to challenge, all brought in over the period of 3 days?

There will be things that will happen that will get journo's talking for a day or two.

Mertesacker will score a header or two, and all of a sudden people will talk about a 'different dimension' to Arsenal. He will then stop scoring goals.

Arsenal will score a couple of superb team goals manufactured by Arteta, Yossi and Park, and the press will label this a 'dream team', they will then fail to pick up points for 3 games on the trot, and will eventually register a draw in the fourth game.

Andre Santos will possibly score a blinding goal, and Lee Dixon will waste 4 minutes of everyone's time to highlight just how potent Santos and Sagna were in a game at the Emirates against Swansea.

Wenger will also feel outraged at a narrow loss to Chelsea at the Emirates, despite them already being 28 points behind United.

The thing that winds me up about Arsenal or more specifically their fans is their constant belittling of our players and squad. They all either seem to suffer from collective amnesia or Bi-Polar conditions. They'll all admit that Lucas is a very good player, Downing is an astute signing, Reina is the best keeper in the league, Suarez is world class and that perhaps they should have signed Enrique.

But after a few minutes of rational thinking they revert back to their ovine nature and start banging on about our shit squad, hoof football and anachronistic manager.

So I hope they suffer badly this season, I hope Wenger gets sacked, half their squad catches syphilis and we batter them at Anfield and for the perfect denouement, they lose out on a champions league spot. And with regards to the Arsenal fans, "God Damn You All To Hell" as Charlton Heston once eloquently put it.

I'm getting the feeling the board have done a Cancer and AIDS and have swallowed the cash and told Wenger to mush on with what team he has left. So when they got tanned 8-2 they gave him some pocket change and told him to make do with that and be grateful.

Wenger can practically pick any club he wants to manage,so I cant see that being the case.

To me Wenger is just stubborn its his way and his way only,similar to Rafa in believing there system is best.

The money thing is a bit baffling though,though Wenger has stated in the past theres money there if he wants it.

The way everything looks there at moment I would say Benny and Arteta are certainly panic measures.

"Wenger can practically pick any club he wants to manage."

Whoa there Tonto, no he can't, not even close.

Any club that has 15 years to spare to see if they want to be mildly successful for a spell MIGHT take a punt on him.

But big clubs don't want him anywhere near them, he's a meddler, he's stuck in a French 90's timewarp, and he's tactically awful. Allied to that, he's getting on a bit. Just like Madrid or Barca don't want Kenny, or Ferguson, or Sacchi, it doesn't fit in with their uber-cool persona and unisex players.

Wenger needs time, not money, that's his ethos. Clubs don't have time anymore, there's no patience for managers to get to work on 'projects'.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wenger is very good at spotting talent and developing talent, and he's a clever chap, and well thought of around the globe in footballing terms.

He should be one of those ambassador, or directors of football talent, or a chief scout. He has a place in a massive club, but it's not as manager.

I love how the league is already decided after 3 games. i remember this time last season after 3 games people were saying hand the title to Chelsea. And now we are seeing liverpool fans think top four is done already. We had a poor start to the season with shambles of summer. Now thats behind us, we have made signing and will get our players back very soon. This break came at the right break. Watch us regroup and get ahead of you within 7 games.

Also best thing of all is Liverpool fans trying to convince each other Caroll is not a donkey. The sooner you realise you have young Duncan Ferguson instead of a Shearer, the easier it will become for you. I remain not very impressed by Liverpoool and you will be found out:yes:

I can tell by this post that you're scared Abs. Remember you are already SIX points behind us.

The next seven league fixtures for Arsenal are:

Arsenal v Swansea, Blackburn v Arsenal, Arsenal v Bolton, Tottenham v Arsenal, Arsenal v Sunderland, Arsenal v Stoke, Chelsea v Arsenal.

I can see you winning 2 , drawing 2 and losing 3 of those games. Points : 8

(And don't forget you also have 3 CL games squeezed in between these fixtures).

We have:

Stoke v Liverpool, Tottenham v Liverpool, Liverpool v Wolverhampton, Everton v Liverpool, Liverpool v Man Utd, Liverpool v Norwich, West Brom v Liverpool.

We can very possibly win 5, draw 2 and lose 1 of these games. Points : 17

(Remember, we are fully focused on the League this season so no distractions)

My prediction is that not only will you not pass us in the next 7 games, we will have increased the gap by a further 9 points, meaning we will be 15 ahead of you in total.

You slag off Carroll. Ok, let's say he doesn't score another goal in these games (unlikely), we still have Suarez and Bellamy as out and out strikers and we have plenty of other players who can score.

Face it dude, you are shitting yourself, because you know losing Fab and Nasri is a heart-breaker and you haven't replaced them. Wenger has made some very un Wenger like signings on the last day of the window. Desperation move. He is one of the favourites to go by Xmas and you kno wit. Hard times up the Arse.

Guest ShoePiss
I love how the league is already decided after 3 games. i remember this time last season after 3 games people were saying hand the title to Chelsea. And now we are seeing liverpool fans think top four is done already. We had a poor start to the season with shambles of summer. Now thats behind us, we have made signing and will get our players back very soon. This break came at the right break. Watch us regroup and get ahead of you within 7 games.

Also best thing of all is Liverpool fans trying to convince each other Caroll is not a donkey. The sooner you realise you have young Duncan Ferguson instead of a Shearer, the easier it will become for you. I remain not very impressed by Liverpoool and you will be found out:yes:

Duncan Ferguson was good player but often injured or suspended. If Carroll can produce like Ferguson without the injuries and suspensions we have a very good player on our hands.

Fuck off Arsenal, 2-0 twats.

Will Code72 survive seeing those stats? That's the real question.

Of course he will. He's seen them before. He'll just reshape reality so that 1.52 exceeds all other numbers or point out that the stats do not properly account for "panache".

It's amazing how different football looks when you watch it through your fully distended jap's eye.

As an aside, it's amazing how un^h^hrecognisable Lucas' ball winning stats are from those of today!

I'm a Piss Weasel.

Hey, Piss Weasel, you're back. Nowhere to be fucking seen after your humiliation, but sign a 30 yr old midfielder with the constitution of chocolate that's been left in the midday sun, and you're poking your pissy whiskers over the parapet and chatting shit.

Fuck off back to Arsenal Mania. Mind you, they hate you there. They even have an Abs2 and Abs3 to take the piss out of you.

I genuinely can't believe he's come on here and tried to belittle LFC after is soundly beating them and the scum absolutely smashing them.

This season is going to be a long hard slog for you. I've not enjoyed my footie for the past couple of years until Kenny came back. so I know.

Enjoy the champions league this year as you won't be in it next year.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wenger is very good at spotting talent and developing talent, and he's a clever chap, and well thought of around the globe in footballing terms.

He should be one of those ambassador, or directors of football talent, or a chief scout. He has a place in a massive club, but it's not as manager.

Is that another way of saying that he is good at spotting young boys playing with ball.

He has a great hands on approach in developing there ball skills.

His spotting of these young boys is pretty amazing,as he travels the globe searching them out.

He would be better though at a church not as a vicar but more like a priest.

Is that pretty much what you mean?