You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Alternative Summer 2011 Thread for Positive People

RedinSweden

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Two bits of positive news:

1) We're getting Adam for a sensible price; his passing will benefit us.

2) We're in for Mata. Slightly dampened that Arsenal are in there too, but we're actually trying to get him... I likes me some Mata.

If it's right that Shelvey and Wilson are going to Blackpool on loan I can see that being of huge benefit too.

Irrespective of what anyone might think of Holloway they at least try to play football so should be a a good environment for them to play in and they would be close enough for the club to keep an eye on them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm happy with today's news. Bit of craft in the midfield was often the key to our title winning sides.

It adds even more depth and more option in that area, doesn't it.

What does that leave us with at the moment:

Gerrard

Adam

Henderson

Meireles

Lucas

Aquilani

Spearing

I expect at least one of those to go out. I wouldn't be shocked if we got rid or two and got in Matuidi. Comolli seemed to like him very much.

Very happy about this. I hope Stevie gives him set pieces though, the crossed ones anyway. Will be worth 3 or 4 goals easy for Carroll

As long as the Downing move comes off, then I think all we will need is a quality left back (not sure that is Enrique though), and we will be fine for top 4. We will actually have a strong squad then and our bench won't make me feel scared when it gets shown before a games starts.

For a proper title challenge, I do think we need another game changer (eg Mata/Hazard) who can play in a forward 3 or on the wing if needed, then we will be able to rotate, cover for injuries, and have the options we need.

Then add a quality CB who will hopefully be a clear first choice and not just added competition (dunno who), and maybe a 4th choice striker, just in case of injuries, but they just need to be decent, not top class, and our summer will have been as good as it could realistically get.

Even if we were just to get another winger, in addition to Downing, who isn't top class but can do a job when called upon (so not first XI) and give us options for 442 if we wanted (ideally an N'zogbia type, but maybe a Jarvis), a CB who is not stand out but is added competition (say a Dann type), then the summer will still have been really good.

I'm very optimistic now. There is plenty of time to get the 3 or 4 transfers we need, the quality winger/attacker and LB will be key though.

Someone else to take the corners now, and the free kicks. Leaves Stevie the penalties and everything else he's brilliant at. What's even more positive is perhaps the fee we paid and the players we'll loan out to gain valuable experience.

If we get Stevie off corners then we can have him attacking them at the near post, which he's fucking ace at.

I like the idea of Wilson and Shelvey going to Blackpool. In fact, I'd be happy if they changed the rules so we could send five or six youngsters there on loan as they play good football and it will be good for their development. Shelvey could be great for them as a replacement for Adam.

If we get Stevie off corners then we can have him attacking them at the near post, which he's fucking ace at.

I like the idea of Wilson and Shelvey going to Blackpool. In fact, I'd be happy if they changed the rules so we could send five or six youngsters there on loan as they play good football and it will be good for their development. Shelvey could be great for them as a replacement for Adam.

I agree. I think it will be good for them to play regularly.

If it's what Kenny wants, I don't care, i'm more than happy!

It's obvious he's a Kenny signing, seems like Henderson was more of a Comolli signing?

This is looking tasty for next season.

Carroll

Suarez - Gerrard - Downing/Mata

Adam - Lucas

Add in Henderson, Spearing and a few other signings. And of course Meireles and Aqualini if we keep them.