You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You can't judge a player solely on one outing and it would be foolish to make comparisons to our players (and i would never do it). He does look to be strong and have a good touch. He seems to have enough pace to beat a man too. I know I shouldn't do it but i'm already going to say he is better than Ngog and Shelvey..............

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm underwhelmed by the player and by the fact we're after him.

I'm surprised to hear that, mate. I think he has all the attributes to be a top class player in a few years.

I would agree, looking at that video, while he is pretty decent on the ball, he clearly doesn't have the quality to be a second striker or attacking mid. He needs to be a goal scorer, and he hasn't really shown that ability.

He was playing on the left of three, against Arsenal and gave one hell of a shift in every part of the pitch. Plus, there's no reason why he would be played as an attacking midfielder.

I'm actually really surprised by the negativity surrounding this player. Maybe it is because he is so young or because he is coming from a lower division, maybe it is because some haven't watched much of him, but he is very young, very raw, but has all the natural attributes to become a very classy player.

I mean, he can't even run properly yet. He clearly hasn't done any work on his running technique, which he will when he is here. I think he has another yard of pace in him. That's without even thinking about teaching him how to use his body and movement to gain space for himself. I'm quiet excited by the player he could become.

It's definitely worth noting that the guy is 6"3 and has pace. However the King is far too smart to sign a player simply on that basis. I know we all get at annoyed at international shit, but the truth is that Wickham, at 18, has already broken into the England Under 21 squad, Ngoo hasn't. The guy MUST have something about him.

I know I shouldn't do it but i'm already going to say he is better than Ngog and Shelvey..............

I don't think you can compare him to Shelvey, completely different type of player. I think Shelvey will be similar to Gerrard in some ways if he turns out as good as he can be, and looking forward to seeing what he can do next season more than any other young player. Just hope he can get on the pitch enough by the time we've finished our transfers.

I'm surprised to hear that, mate. I think he has all the attributes to be a top class player in a few years.

He was playing on the left of three, against Arsenal and gave one hell of a shift in every part of the pitch. Plus, there's no reason why he would be played as an attacking midfielder.

I'm actually really surprised by the negativity surrounding this player. Maybe it is because he is so young or because he is coming from a lower division, maybe it is because some haven't watched much of him, but he is very young, very raw, but has all the natural attributes to become a very classy player.

I mean, he can't even run properly yet. He clearly hasn't done any work on his running technique, which he will when he is here. I think he has another yard of pace in him. That's without even thinking about teaching him how to use his body and movement to gain space for himself. I'm quiet excited by the player he could become.

I wasn't saying he would necessarily be played as an attacking mid. I was just saying, he needs to be a goal scorer. Else you have a striker who can't score goals, and is therefore useless, or played out of position, ala Dirk Kuyt. Not that Kuyt is a bad player where he is, but he only plays for us on the wing because he couldn't score enough as a striker like he did in Holland. So while he looks decent on the ball, he doesn't have the quality of a Suarez where he could contribute by being more of a creator (Suarez may be a great goal scorer for us, but hasn't proven that yet).

It's definitely worth noting that the guy is 6"3 and has pace. However the King is far too smart to sign a player simply on that basis. I know we all get at annoyed at international shit, but the truth is that Wickham, at 18, has already broken into the England Under 21 squad, Ngoo hasn't. The guy MUST have something about him.

He's in the squad because he is lucky enough to be getting games for a Championship team. Ngoo doesn't have that opportunity.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He turned 18 a few weeks ago. I think it's probably a little early to judge whether he can score goals or not. Alright, he has only scored 15 out of 72 appearances (many of those will have been from the bench, given his age) but that's not all that different from the likes or Torres or Henry at the same age.

I think he has it all: a great touch; he's quite quick; has bags of power and strength; and he even has an eye for a spectacular goal. It doesn't hurt that he's a Liverpool fan, either.

You can't judge a player solely on one outing and it would be foolish to make comparisons to our players (and i would never do it). He does look to be strong and have a good touch. He seems to have enough pace to beat a man too. I know I shouldn't do it but i'm already going to say he is better than Ngog and Shelvey..............

I really hope that was intentional, because it's actually rather good.

The latest news is that we've quartered the offer by folding the paper over and then folding it again. Word is they're holding out for an origami box.

From The Times

<!-- BEGIN: Module - Advert:Top --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--//Retrieve yaoo Cookie Valuevar yahoo = "no";var IsYahoo="no";if (GetQueryString("yahoo")=="yes" || get_cookie('YH') == "yes") IsYahoo="yes";if (IsYahoo == "yes" || get_cookie('YH') == 'open') {set_cookie ("YH", "yes", "", "" );yahoo = "yes";} else {set_cookie ("YH", "no", "", "" );yahoo = "no";}window.onunload = setYahooCookie;//--></SCRIPT><!-- For Travel Search --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--var RStag = "";try{RStag = segQS;}catch(e){RStag = "";}document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/sport.timesonline.co.uk/football/footballleague ;cat=;pos=sponsor;sz=143x50;'+ RStag +'tile=1;'+categoryValues+'yahoo='+yahoo+';ord='+randnum+'?"><\/script>'); //--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/sport.timesonline.co.uk/football/footballleague ;cat=;pos=sponsor;sz=143x50;tile=1;!category=sunoverlays;yahoo=no;ord=1307379407718?"></SCRIPT>1x1.gif <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!--SECTION:parameter parameter="dart.server" /--><!-- END: Module - Advert:Top -->

May 17, 2010

Striker Connor Wickham soon to cast aside his L plates

<!-- END: Module - Main Heading --><!-- Print Author name from By Line associated with the article -->Peter Lansley

<!-- BEGIN: Module - Main Article --><!-- Check the Article Type and display accordingly--><!-- Print Author image associated with the Author--><!-- Print the body of the article--><STYLE type=text/css>div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;}</STYLE><!-- Pagination -->When it comes to understated inner belief, Connor Wickham reveals a level of driving ambition as he prepares to spearhead England’s attack for the European Under-17 Championship finals that start in Liechtenstein tomorrow.

The Ipswich Town striker, who scored three goals in four Coca-Cola Championship games last month by way of celebrating his 17th birthday, is confident that he will soon be free to take to the open roads. But he also has his sights set on England lasting the duration of the tournament.

“I’ve got my driving test in the week we get back from the Euros, in the first week of June,” he said. “I’ve had 25-30 hours of lessons. I’m confident I can pass.”

England play group games against the Czech Republic tomorrow, Greece on Friday and Turkey next Monday. The top two qualify for the semi-finals and the final takes place on May 30.

<!-- BEGIN: POLL --><!--This block will execute if an article of type Poll is attached--><!-- END : POLL --><!-- BEGIN: DEBATE--><!-- END: DEBATE-->

<!-- END: Module - M63 - Article Related Attachements -->After becoming Ipswich’s youngest-ever player in the 2008-2009 season, at 16 years and 11 days, Wickham was a regular in Roy Keane’s squad this season, earning reviews that could have turned the head of a less grounded individual. But with a sound family background, the former Manchester United captain as his club manager and John Peacock leading this England group, the powerfully built striker is so eminently sensible that he sounds like a young James Milner.

He has an agent — Paul Goddard, the former Ipswich and West Ham United player — but “I just leave it to my dad. I know he’s always going to be there for me so I leave everything with him and he’ll sort it out. Then I can concentrate on my football.”

The 6ft 3in target man has signed a kit deal with Umbro but he knows not to act like a kid in a sweet shop. “When you’re a footballer, things are going to come your way and you’ve got to be responsible with everything you do,” he said.

The one moment that did frazzle his senses was when, seven months after scoring twice in a Carling Cup victory over Shrewsbury Town, he opened his goalscoring account in league football with a stoppage-time winner against Scunthorpe United in March. “I just lost my head,” he said. “It was the best moment I’ve had in football so far. There’d been a lot of times when I’d got on [as a substitute] but hadn’t scored.

“Because it was the 93rd minute, I just ran off to the touchline towards the fitness coach and got bundled by all the players. My parents recorded it so we’ve watched it over and over again.” After a few sensible words from Keane Wickham and his family celebrated with a Chinese takeaway.

A Liverpool fan whose role model is Fernando Torres, Wickham spent four years on Reading’s books, living in Aldershot, before his father’s job in the Army led them to Colchester and trials with Ipswich. He made sure he studied sufficiently hard to gain eight A-C grade GCSEs before leaving Philip Morant School last summer.

“He’s a very level-headed young man,” Peacock said. “I think he’s at the right club and Roy’s done a really good job with him, steadily developing him. He’s a goalscorer but he’s matured a lot in his build-up play.

“Physically he’s a real specimen of a young man so it’s no surprise he’s dealing with the physical demands of Championship football. He’s had a lot of accolades this year but he’s dealt with it all in a very mature manner. Within this peer group, he’s just one of the 18. That can only be of benefit to the team.”

What is this shite, Connor Wickham, piss off Damien, flooding our club with shit. Piss it out yer arse

His name reminded me of Corrine Wicks and it's always good to be reminded of a woman with incredible tits.

I've never seen him play, but if he's anything like her tits he's world class. Signing players based on whose tits they remind you of is madness but more calming then rumour based hype.

And I'm far too smart to think it's Kenny signing all this shite.

I think it's the combination of the "very young, very raw" aspect that you mentioned later in that post coupled with the "£8m, possibly going to have to go back with £10m" aspect that was underwhelming me really.

He looks a decent prospect, I can't argue with that and I suppose we were talking about Carroll being young, raw and a work in progress when we signed him for over three times this £8m bid - I guess I'd just be more comfortable with him either being a year further along so that we had a better idea of which way he was going to go, or having top flight experience (even with an appalling club) to get a handle on whether he could handle the step up.

Failing either of them, £3m off the price would also have prompted a more positive reaction from me - it's the combination of young player, untried at the top level and £8m minimum price that gave me pause for thought. OK, there are certainly young players that have made this kind of move and blossomed into great talents but history is littered with those that didn't.

I guess I'm just being negative man because I see him as a bit of a gamble and I'm not used to us taking £8m punts on young talent recently, maybe I need Gordon Strachan to hit me over the head with a big stick.