You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool have demonstrated their determination to invest heavily in young talent to take them back among the Champions League elite with an £8m offer for Ipswich Town's Connor Wickham according todays Independent.

I an happy that we are looking to take on so many promising youngster. Looks like we have a good long term plan. Sorry but can not post the link as a Virgin:whistle:

If only we had a summer transfer thread.

If only the summer transfer thread wasn't a zillion pages long and totally unreadable.

I welcome this temporary reversion to sanity (new threads for each solid transfer link).

If only the summer transfer thread wasn't a zillion pages long and totally unreadable.

I welcome this temporary reversion to sanity (new threads for each solid transfer link).

What the Dog said.

I really can't be arsed trawling several billion pages of drivel, bad spelling and arguments to find four or five posts relevant to a particular transfer rumour. As long as there aren't multiple threads on one player I don't see a problem with separate threads as stories arise.

Agree with the separate threads.

We were linked with this kid and another kid Chamberlain (spelling?) back in January. Since then that Chamberlain kid looks likely to go to Arsenal while Wickham looks likely to go to us but he signed a contract extension with his club in April.

IF we got Wickham for £8m, it's a big risk, he's clearly not worth £8m yet.

But, we saw how much Darren Bent went to Villa for, and that's what we're buying here, a player who could be worth twice as much as the transfer fee as long as we develop him right and keep him clear of injury as best we can.

Maybe that's FSG's gameplan, to buy up English talent as a long-term project with the aim of selling on, and using these funds to pour into the first team?

Maybe that's FSG's gameplan, to buy up English talent as a long-term project with the aim of selling on, and using these funds to pour into the first team?

It can be confusing really because if you think that we could be selling players for 3 times, etc, what we payed for them, then they must be good so why would we want to sell?

Maybe the plan is to just be intelligent with young players we buy, so that we're not chasing around in a few seasons paying tens of millions for several players because we already have them with us. If we have to buy one for 20-30mil or whatever, no problems because we should be making that kind of cash from the club anyway without sales. So I'd prefer to see it that the aim is to be a lot better at already having the vast majority of players we need already with us and coming through the ranks, instead of having to go out and buy them. It'll probably take at least 2-3 seasons to work, but it clearly seems like the best way of going about it.

Edited by Red Phoenix

But if we buy Wickham or Chamberlain as part of FSG's gameplan or policy and they work out, then we're not going to be selling them in any short term strategy, so it's all irrelevant. No club is going to be selling a successful player, least of all a young one.

I don't think the fsg plan is necessarily to make money; rather to get value. So, if we sign wickham now for £8mil and he is worth say £25mil by the time he is 25 that doesn't mean we have to sell him for a big Profit. It means we have bought a player worth £25mil for a fraction of the price therefore saving the club money.

I'd highly doubt it. think people like to over think this thing and look for things that aren't there. we'll want him because we think he's a good player and can be at the club for years to come and, in the long run, save us money by not having to go out and pay £35m for an Andy Carroll.

look at the English talent we've been linked with...Downing, 27, will never be worth more than the £16m we end up paying for him, same goes for Young and Henderson. it also wouldn't make much sense because, being English, you're limited in who you can sell them to later on, European clubs aren't really interested and the players don't want to leave.

How is he worth 8m?

Simply because he is 18? He's basically a less physically dominant version of Carroll. And the physically dominant part is what will potentially make Carroll a top player. I don't get the hype to be honest, it's not like he is dominating in the Championship.

Play someone like Ngoo in the Championship for a full season and I think he could score 7 or 8 goals also.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How is he worth 8m?

Simply because he is 18? He's basically a less physically dominant version of Carroll. And the physically dominant part is what will potentially make Carroll a top player. I don't get the hype to be honest, it's not like he is dominating in the Championship.

Play someone like Ngoo in the Championship for a full season and I think he could score 7 or 8 goals also.

Have you seen him play much? He's faster and much, much better on the ball than Carroll. Unlike Carroll he can actually run with the ball and beat a man. Once he learns how to use his body and tweaks his running style, he's going to be fucking brilliant. He needs a move to a top club to develop further.

That's not meant to be a slam on Carroll; he has assets of his own that make him dangerous. I just think Wickham has the raw skills to be significantly better.

If we can sell Ngog and bring in Wickham it is a no brainer. For an outlay of around 5m it would be good business, swapping someone who is never going to make it here with someone who could be a hell of a player, is well worth the punt.

For me it is a good deal and one that makes a lot of sense.

Mate of mine who has good contacts at Ipswich and also works for one of the broadsheets, reckons this bid is legit. He's not sure if Ipswich will sell for 8m though.

I suppose the first offers are usually knocked back, maybe with add ons we could swing it.