You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stewart Downing

RobbieOR

Young scores more and has more assists. So he is more effective. Plus he's very quick, and we need pace. Downing isn't quick.

So given the choice, I'd prefer Young.

But it's moot anyway, since we won't be signing Young.

not really, they both scored more or less the same amount last season and young takes penalties. Downing isn't this snail he's being out to be. I'd take Downing over that 'look at my name' cunt every day of the week

Guest Numero Veinticinco
not really, they both scored more or less the same amount last season and young takes penalties. Downing isn't this snail he's being out to be. I'd take Downing over that 'look at my name' cunt every day of the week

Have you seen how many goals Downing has scored over his career? He gets about 2/3 a season most of the time.

Despite the fact that Young is miles quicker, scores more goals, creates more goals and is younger?

That's quite odd.

Despite the fact that Young is miles quicker, scores more goals, creates more goals and is younger?

That's quite odd.

he is younger and quicker but i don't neccesarily agree he does the other two to any greater degree, if at all, to downing. Downing is still pretty quick anyway and his cross if far superior and would suit us if andy carroll is to be the main centre forward

No they don't, but would that team win the league now?

Not so sure.

Who knows where 94-95 Blackburn would finish now but that was a team which was more than the sum of it's parts. It didn't have stars as such Shearer apart but it had a lot of good solid players like Flowers, Le Saux, Batty, Hendry etc. If Kenny wants to replicate something like that with a few stars Suarez, Gerrard and Lucas (hehe) thrown in the mix then that's fine by me.

he is younger and quicker but i don't neccesarily agree he does the other two to any greater degree, if at all, to downing.

You don't have to agree. I don't fucking care if you agree, because it isn't a subjective point that requires agreement. It is a fact.

But we could argue and agree, or not agree, about whether or not Downing's style of football suits Carroll more than Young's.

For me he will provide natural width, a fantastic cross, the ability to beat a man and consistency.

He's no world beater but he is definitely underrated and I would have no problem if he was on one wing as long as we managed to acquire a Mata or Hazard as well.

On top of that, he seems like a normal level-headed lad. He turns 27 in July, so I wouldn't pay a penny over £12M but you just know Villa are going to be cunts over this with Young leaving for the mancs as well.

I know he wouldn't suit FSG and their 'Moneyball' approach but hopefully, as I said above, we will go all out for Mata or Hazard who are in their early twenties. Two wingers are a must with Cole and Jovanovic departing.

EDIT: and Downing has pissed all over A Young this season. All over him.

People are also forgetting the fact that Downing wants to come here and Young wants to go to the mancs.

It may have something to do with the mancs wanting Young and not touching Downing with a bargepole, which tells it's own story.

He'd love LFC, because we'd be the best team that would be in for him. He's not going to get any offers from the current top 4 and if he does, do you think he'd still insist on us? I think not.

It's a pretty weak argument.

You don't have to agree. I don't fucking care if you agree, because it isn't a subjective point that requires agreement. It is a fact.

But we could argue and agree, or not agree, about whether or not Downing's style of football suits Carroll more than Young's.

If you want to compare how many goals Downing scored for a relegation battling side such as Boro against a 5th place chasing side like villa of recent years than fine. Last season in the same side both players scored and created pretty much the same amount, with young afforded the luxary of taking penalties. Don't be so dismissive of other peoples views

Guest Numero Veinticinco
For me he will provide natural width, a fantastic cross, the ability to beat a man and consistency.

Beat a man? With a stick maybe.

He's no world beater but he is definitely underrated and I would have no problem if he was on one wing as long as we managed to acquire a Mata or Hazard as well.

That's quite an ask, isn't it? To pay 15-20m for Downing and also 20-25m for Mata (a price tag which goes to show the cost of Downing is ludicrous).

On top of that, he seems like a normal level-headed lad. He turns 27 in July, so I wouldn't pay a penny over £12M but you just know Villa are going to be cunts over this with Young leaving for the mancs as well.

I know he wouldn't suit FSG and their 'Moneyball' approach but hopefully, as I said above, we will go all out for Mata or Hazard who are in their early twenties. Two wingers are a must with Cole and Jovanovic.

EDIT: and Downing has pissed all over A Young this season. All over him.

Yep, they're going to be asking shit loads. Like they did with Barry.

Who knows where 94-95 Blackburn would finish now but that was a team which was more than the sum of it's parts. It didn't have stars as such Shearer apart but it had a lot of good solid players like Flowers, Le Saux, Batty, Hendry etc. If Kenny wants to replicate something like that with a few stars Suarez, Gerrard and Lucas (hehe) thrown in the mix then that's fine by me.

Agree with that John. You've only got to look at the run we went on before the Spurs game to see what teamwork can do - our only "star" was Luis but others stepped up to the plate. Add the likes of Gerrard, Carroll, Johnson,Kelly and Downing and we'd already be looking like top 4 contenders without buying anybody else.

Guest PurpleNose

I've not really understood why Valencia appear to want £20m/£25m for Mata. I know they're fucked financially, but Mata would improve pretty much every team on the planet.

Surely they could get £35m/£40m for him?

Has he not got long on his contract?

We need someone to provide crosses for Carroll and Downing can do that. If he is the only "wide" player we sign though, I will be disappointed as we need more pace and skill on the ball in the side for certain games.

I agree with this, downing has good delivery and will add to the team,however if he is the only winger signed I will not be happy.We need a winger with downings qualitys but we also need a winger with pace who likes to go past players.