You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

The fundamental problem with Everton is the things they think are strengths are actually weaknesses. A parochial outlook, ambitions that only extend to one-upmanship over us etc.

They don't present an image of dynamism and ambition that even some much smaller clubs do, and first and foremost that's what ambitious players want to see.

The fundamental problem with Everton is the fans mentality. It's not money, it's not the stadium, it's not the manager, it's them. And until they address that, Moshiri can throw money hand over fist and it won't make a difference.

The fact of the matter is, if you put a lie detector on any Everton fan (under 30) and asked them "would you rather win the league or see Liverpool get relegated?" i reckon about 90% of them - if they were being truthful with themselves - would rather see us go down. They'd get more joy from it. Now if you asked all the Liverpool fans (under 30) the same question it'd be "win the league". Everton wouldn't even enter into their minds. That's the fundamental difference. They are an inconvenience for us. We are an obsession for them.

People ridicule Liverpool fans all the time with the "this'll be our year, la" taunts, but i tell you what, we've got a winning mentality, and have always had a winning mentality for as long as i can remember. They've got a losers mentality, and that's so deeply ingrained into their psyche at this stage, that it's impossible to dislodge. 

They also have an inherent need to go after their own as well - which i've never understood. We protect players like Gerrard, Carra, and even Trent Alexander Arnold from overt criticism because we understand how important it is to have players with a connection to the club playing for us. It's like the Salem Witch Trials with their scousers. 

You see Barkley at 18 and you think what a player this lad is, having the confidence to take players on, physically built like a man already. And look what they've done to his head. The lads head is fried. He's got zero confidence left because the fellas in the Gwladys singled him out for abuse after every misplaced pass. Davies is the next one... poor lad. 

• Upvote 5

Why do they think this new stadium is going to transform all their woes. They will still be Everton. Players don't give a shit about a new stadium they want money and success and Everton can't fill the stadium they have now so when they are paying even more for tickets and even more seats are empty it will be a weight around their necks. Build it I hope it sinks them.

I don't think it matters if they fill it or not. Gate receipts are fuck all these days. Another 15000 seats maybe earns them another £10-15m max. The only time the gate money works is if you can sell corporate seats. Proper hospitality is getting you round about £500 per game. That's £30m a season for 3000 seats. Except they're not selling 3000 more corporate sears because they're Everton. We've struggled to shift ours and still sell lots below the initial planned price per seat and we're one of the biggest brands in the game, have a charismatic manager and we are trying to be known for exciting football to be everyone's 2nd club.
  • Upvote 1

They couldn't go on Bullseye.

Jim: and up come our next contestant, tell us about yourself.

Contestant: my names Derek but everyone calls me Dixie and I'm a taxi driver from County Road.

Jim: County Road, where is that.

C: Merseyside Jim.

J: Oh Liverpool?

C:(through gritting teeth) yes.

J: And who have you brought with you?

C: my son Leighton Seamus and my best mate Dave, we all go the game.

J: Oh what game is that?

C: (rolls up sleeve on Lonsdale polo shirt to reveal tattoo) the mighty Everton Jim!

J: and how was your last game?

C: we got robbed didn't we? Last minute penalty Jim, ref had it in for us.

J: and the lovely wife? Couldn't make it today?

C: no Jim, unfortunately she had a little accident last Saturday teatime and is recuperating at her sisters.

J: arr, well we wish her well, over to you Tony.

T: right Dixie, you know the rules, stay out of the black and stay in the red you get nowt in this game for two in a bed.

C: you wot mate?

T: I said stay out of the black..

C: Yeh I heard that bit, the bit after it

T: stay in the red?

C: Yeh fuck that, can't we do the opposite, I aim for black?

T: no sorry, rules are rules.

C: conspiracy this, you think I'm choosing to aim for red to win prizes, fuck that, my name will be mud in the Brick and Leighton will get stick in school. Come on son let's go I'm not staying here another second with these redshite supporters.

*Z Cars theme tune rings out*

C: Yeh, hello? Hiya luv, no I've not won, it's a long story, I'll tell you went I get home, Leighton Seamus is in tears here, worse than the last Derby match, best stay at your sisters another couple of nights, wouldn't want you hurting yourself again..

J: (turns to camera) err, let's look at what he could have won..

• Upvote 28

Why do they think this new stadium is going to transform all their woes. They will still be Everton. Players don't give a shit about a new stadium they want money and success and Everton can't fill the stadium they have now so when they are paying even more for tickets and even more seats are empty it will be a weight around their necks. Build it I hope it sinks them.

Sunderland have a nice, big stadium.

I don't think it matters if they fill it or not. Gate receipts are fuck all these days. Another 15000 seats maybe earns them another £10-15m max. The only time the gate money works is if you can sell corporate seats. Proper hospitality is getting you round about £500 per game. That's £30m a season for 3000 seats. Except they're not selling 3000 more corporate sears because they're Everton. We've struggled to shift ours and still sell lots below the initial planned price per seat and we're one of the biggest brands in the game, have a charismatic manager and we are trying to be known for exciting football to be everyone's 2nd club.

I don't think we will ever be everyones 2nd club....fans of other clubs mostly absolutely fucking hate us.

I for one don't give a fuck that they do, but they do.

• Upvote 1