You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite ever non-Liverpool Premiership player

Section_31

Alan-Shearer-in-his-Black-001.jpg

Possibly take some shit for this but for me It's Shearer. Absolute fucking beast of a striker in his prime, consummate professional who told the mancs to get fucked whenever they tried to buy him (and will be forever hated by their fans for doing so). His partnership with Les Ferdinand was top class, but one wonders what he could have achieved in the game if he hadn't chosen to stay with his boyhood side.

I can probably trace back when I stopped giving a shit about England (and international football as a whole) to when the likes of Shearer stopped playing. Euro 96 was a sensational tournament for England and he was responsible for much of that (despite being udner pressure beforehand for his goalscoring form in internationals, as is typical of the national media).

On all scores he compares favouribly with the man who was his successor, a certain human rat from Croxteth.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, Section, I'll probably take some stick for my choice, but it's Gianfranco Zola.

Yeah, I know he played for Chelsea, but it was before they became the twattish monstrosity they are today. Sums the classiness of the bloke up when he knocked back Abramovich's advances to get him to re-sign because he'd given his word to Cagliari.

A wonderful player and I just used to love watching him. Plenty of skill, panache, intelligence, but also didn't feel it was beneath him to graft like you find with a few flair players.

I was there at Stamford Bridge for our game against them back in 2003, which was effectively a Champions League play-off match, and he came on as a sub for his last ever Chelsea appearance. I remember he got a great reception from the fans in our end and I gave him a warm round of applause myself.

IN5929511LONDON---JU_51386t.jpg

[YOUTUBE]drScL8q956o[/YOUTUBE]

To me he was the most influential player the prem has seen. Forget your Cantona's, your Giggs', Shearer's. Zola's.

Rioch bought Wenger the man that would completely change the face of the most boring side in football to the most exciting and Bergkamp only got better with age.

It really was a privilege to watch the man play.