You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Henderson is an excellent footballer. Knowledgable Sunderland fans (few and far between, but I work with several) rate him very highly indeed. He will play right side of midfield (he's not a central midfielder). The Mancs were after him (Ferguson not the worst judge of a player), but hopefully won't get him. I prefer £18.5m on the very best young talent (which Henderson is) than £120k per week "free transfer" let-downs.

I don't consider myself a better judge of a footballer than Dalglish. I have no knowledge of Liverpool's transfer budget, or the financial model that's being used to put a value on players, and determine the salaries offered. But this isn't Hodgson and Purslow doing transfer business on behalf of our club; it's Dalglish, Comolli and FSG. I'll sit back and enjoy the summer!

More on JH etc

Tony Barrett, George Caulkin 1 minute ago

Sunderland are increasingly resigned to losing Jordan Henderson to Liverpool, provided that their £20 million valuation of the England midfield player is met.

During a week of informal contact between the clubs, Sunderland have been waiting for Liverpool to “get serious” in their pursuit of the midfield player, but they accept that their interest is substantive and unlikely to fade.

Steve Bruce has no desire to sell the 20-year-old, who has risen to prominence under his management, but Henderson has made it known that he is eager to talk to Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are prepared to treble his £20,000-a-week wages.

Liverpool’s initial approach to Sunderland valued Henderson — whose progress has also been monitored by Manchester United and Manchester City — in the region of £13 million, a figure that was dismissed out of hand by Niall Quinn, the chairman.

A fee of £18.5 million has now been mentioned, much closer to the minimum figure deemed acceptable at the Stadium of Light for a player who has graduated from the club’s academy.

Liverpool are reluctant to meet Sunderland’s demands but with the gap between the asking price and their own valuation having closed significantly in recent days, it seems probable that a compromise fee will be struck, particularly with Henderson being keen to wrap up the proposed transfer before he travels to Denmark tomorrow with the England squad for the European Under-21 Championship finals.

There has been no move from Liverpool to rekindle their interest in Lee Cattermole, the Sunderland captain, who was on the club’s radar during his spell at Wigan Athletic.

With the acquisition of Henderson now seemingly imminent, Liverpool have no need to be in the market for another central midfield player, particularly with Charlie Adam, the Blackpool captain, being another of their key summer targets.

Liverpool are likely to be one of the Premier League’s busiest clubs during the transfer window, with Dalglish and Damien Comolli, the director of football, having identified several players whom they would like to sign and a number of others that they are keen to sell.

Danny Wilson could be one of the first to leave, although should the central defender, as expected, complete a move to Rangers less than 12 months after he left Ibrox, it will be on a loan basis rather than permanently.

Wilson has been unconvincing since he moved to Liverpool in a transfer worth an initial £2 million and his lack of regular first-team opportunities has caused Dalglish, the manager, to accept that the 19-year-old’s development would be best served by a spell at his former club.

Rangers are in the market for a defender, with Madjid Bougherra almost certain to leave this summer and as such the proposed move for Wilson appears to be in the interests of all parties

Just asked a Mackem about him and where he's best:

"It's a weird one...

He's absolutely brilliant out on the right, can beat his man and puts in some brilliant crosses (see 0:20 *link to that Wigan goal removed*) however, he claims himself that he's a CM and is a great box to box player, but not as effective.

I'd be gutted if he left, but it's great to see our academy bring some cracking players out, and if we get £15m it's cracking for the club. "

"It's a weird one...

He's absolutely brilliant out on the right, can beat his man and puts in some brilliant crosses (see 0:20 *link to that Wigan goal removed*) however, he claims himself that he's a CM and is a great box to box player, but not as effective.

I'd be gutted if he left, but it's great to see our academy bring some cracking players out, and if we get £15m it's cracking for the club. "

Sounds a bit like a young Gerrard.

"It's a weird one...

He's absolutely brilliant out on the right, can beat his man and puts in some brilliant crosses (see 0:20 *link to that Wigan goal removed*) however, he claims himself that he's a CM and is a great box to box player, but not as effective."

A terrific right-sided player who thinks he's a central midfielder? I assume he's a long-term Gerrard replacement, then...

15m is about what he is worth tbh. I hope the fee that is being bandied about is with substantial add ons.

I think that should be the key to transfers like this.

If these twats slap incredibly over-inflated prices on their players, we should tell them if they really think they are worth said amount to take 60% up front and the rest in success/appearence related installments.

Just spoke to my Uncle who is a mackem. He said Henderson started off great when he first broke through a couple of years ago, and said he has bags of potential. But he reckons that since the talk of the bigger clubs coming in for him surfaced around Christmas his form has dropped and he thinks his head has been turned. Said that Sunderland are getting a great deal out of it if the deal goes through but the lad does have loads of potential.

We'll see. I can't say I am particularly comfortable with us shelling out such a wedge on a fairly unknown and unproven player, but if there is still plenty of money left in the pot for the A list couple of players that we need then fair do's. I'll trust the King's judgement, they must see something in the lad for them to be pushing the boat out this much.

He's saying he's been told by Wenger to stay. i dont believe him and expect him to be sold. he has 12 months left on his contract and they are not rushing to offer him a new one.....and i just dont think the club want him to leave on free in 12 months, specially as they can get good money from russian teams.

Can't see him ending up back in Russia just yet, would've thought he'd be wanting to try at least another 1 or 2 clubs out before going back home. Wouldn't mind us bidding for him either, even though he's likely to cost a lot.. If not though there's sure to be plenty of other clubs that'd like to sign him.

I'm going to be a bit melodramatic here but fuck it...the thought of spending £20m on Jordan Henderson makes me feel slightly ill. We had the Torres thing to blame spending £35m on Carroll, well what would be the excuse this time? We're getting fucked in the ass if we pay that much.

That said, if we go on and spend £60-70m net anyway? I won't give a fuck(provided we don't blow the rest on more overrated English players). But if we're spending the bulk of our budget on him? Worried.