You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why do headphones have left and right on them?

Anny Road

All two-channel or stereo recordings have a left, L, and right, R, audio channel. These channels do not contain the same audio information.

Most studio recordings are really multi-channel mono recordings, in which the producer 'places' the audio signal from each channel somewhere between hard left and hard right using the pan control on the mixing console. Each instrument or voice is recorded very close to the source, eliminating any room effects. The relative content, left vs. right, is a production decision, so listening with the left earphone in your left ear and the right in your right reproduces the environment the producer was trying to create.

In real stereophonic recordings, at least two microphones, usually oriented towards the left and right sides of the hall, are used to record a musical performance from the listener's perspective. The audio information that is recorded includes the musical source material, as well as any room reflections and any other out of phase sounds. When this is played back in the proper orientation - left channel to the listener's left and right to the right - the performance can be reproduced with many, if not most, of the directional cues intact. Playing with the channels reversed can ruin the acoustic image.

Just to spite the cunts that make them I put them on the wrong way around.WTF is that all about.

Someone will come on here and give some bullshit answer about frequency and ohms or some other crap. It bollocks.

Be careful there are eyes and ears everywhere, you'll be dragged away and locked up. Crazy bastard

All two-channel or stereo recordings have a left, L, and right, R, audio channel. These channels do not contain the same audio information.

Most studio recordings are really multi-channel mono recordings, in which the producer 'places' the audio signal from each channel somewhere between hard left and hard right using the pan control on the mixing console. Each instrument or voice is recorded very close to the source, eliminating any room effects. The relative content, left vs. right, is a production decision, so listening with the left earphone in your left ear and the right in your right reproduces the environment the producer was trying to create.

In real stereophonic recordings, at least two microphones, usually oriented towards the left and right sides of the hall, are used to record a musical performance from the listener's perspective. The audio information that is recorded includes the musical source material, as well as any room reflections and any other out of phase sounds. When this is played back in the proper orientation - left channel to the listener's left and right to the right - the performance can be reproduced with many, if not most, of the directional cues intact. Playing with the channels reversed can ruin the acoustic image.

;)

[YOUTUBE]IRsPheErBj8&playnext=1&list=PLDE86DA9E5CB28F0E[/YOUTUBE]

I watched a documentary on the Beatles a while back and someone said they recorded quite a lot of their songs with the vocals on one side, and all the instruments on the other. I don't remember the reason behind it though.

It annoys me though when I am in class and I can only have one headphone in because the tutor is talking, and I can only hear half the song. Rage against the machine have a few tracks like this with the vocals and instruments split.