You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny said the same thing after the game. Webb wasn't looking, was going to let the game run and then all of a sudden after a few Manc players made a fuss he decided to do something. He was 100% going to let it go.

The manc players made the decision for him, scandalous.

Did the FA not say they we're going to come down hard on players hounding the referee a couple of seasons ago? They all came running, surrounding the referee screaming bloody murder here.... Different rules for the scum vermin I guess!!

Players from both sides were hounding Webb.

Mate, do you have to negate every little thing anyone says? I know it's a forum and it's here for discussion but you literally don't agree with anything anyone says. Quite breathtaking really. I can't understand how you have those opinions and are a Liverpool fan.

Mate, do you have to negate every little thing anyone says? I know it's a forum and it's here for discussion but you literally don't agree with anything anyone says. Quite breathtaking really. I can't understand how you have those opinions and are a Liverpool fan.

Because I am not buying into the conspiracy theories?

They make me cringe and there isn't a single noteworthy one among them.

If anyone has any evidence, that may change my mind. But it's all nonsense.

Obviously in my view.

Obviously in my view.

Tom, I respect your view and your right theres no hard concrete proof of anything. But I don't care what anyone says, you cannot stand there and say that Webb hasn't favoured the mancs in numerous occasions in numerous big games. And there was others before him.

I think to ignore the shit that has gone with the Mancs and Refs is naivety in the extreme. Its that sort of attitude that allows it to continue. For too long now, we as a fanbase and a club have let shite slide and just gone down the route of "We should have scored more than them" but how can you when your hamstrung from the first minute by a 12th man doing all he can to give them a leg up.

Obviously in my view.

That's your opinion mate, we've got to respect that but don't you think it's strange utd were hardly firing on all cylinders at the beginning of the season the Chavs were running away with the league and they got four pens in four consecutive games if i remember correctly. You not think it's strange rio has only had two free kicks against him at old trafford since April? Or Webb giving a pen to utd 08/09 2-0 against spurs, the list just goes on and on and on with them

Oh let's not forget shitbag Neville against WBA! or mascherano shirt pulling outside the box

Tom, I respect your view and your right theres no hard concrete proof of anything. But I don't care what anyone says, you cannot stand there and say that Webb hasn't favoured the mancs in numerous occasions in numerous big games. And there was others before him.

I think to ignore the shit that has gone with the Mancs and Refs is naivety in the extreme. Its that sort of attitude that allows it to continue. For too long now, we as a fanbase and a club have let shite slide and just gone down the route of "We should have scored more than them" but how can you when your hamstrung from the first minute by a 12th man doing all he can to give them a leg up.

Fair enough. And good constructive post!

Personally, I think Webb is a homer but there is nothing more to it than that. If he starts to give the Mancs decisions at Anfield, then I'll start questioning him. Until then, he's just like the rest of them for me; he favours the home team.

Personally, I think Webb is a homer but there is nothing more to it than that. If he starts to give the Mancs decisions at Anfield, then I'll start questioning him. Until then, he's just like the rest of them for me; he favours the home team.

Utd at white hart lane 08/09 2-0 pen.

That's your opinion mate, we've got to respect that but don't you think it's strange utd were hardly firing on all cylinders at the beginning of the season the Chavs were running away with the league and they got four pens in four consecutive games if i remember correctly. You not think it's strange rio has only had two free kicks against him at old trafford since April? Or Webb giving a pen to utd 08/09 2-0 against spurs, the list just goes on and on and on with them

Oh let's not forget shitbag Neville against WBA! or mascherano shirt pulling outside the box

And Neville against Stoke. Shocking decision.

I think the Mancs have had the rub of the green for sure and had some decisions go their way. But I honestly don't think it's endemic corruption or dishonesty on behalf of the referees.

Utd at white hart lane 08/09 2-0 pen.

Sure. Refs make mistakes. Chelsea got a dodgy pen against us in 07/08. Is that evidence of corruption, dishonesty or just shoddy officiating? To me it's the latter.

We've also been on the end of some fortunate decisions. It's the way it goes in my view.

I definitely respect the view held by many on here, I just don't happen to agree with it.

In truth you might be right. Maybe we just want to believe theres a conspiracy and in fact hes just a home team Ref.

I just think hes given a hell of a lot to them to benefit them in some seriously dubious ways and he keeps getting big games they are involved in.

But then again he is the highest profile Ref in the country so maybe the logic is that he should ref the highest profile games.

Sure. Refs make mistakes. Chelsea got a dodgy pen against us in 07/08. Is that evidence of corruption, dishonesty or just shoddy officiating? To me it's the latter.

We've also been on the end of some fortunate decisions. It's the way it goes in my view.

I definitely respect the view held by many on here, I just don't happen to agree with it.

Ok fair enough that's your view on it, mine is. If Webb is supposed to be the highest profile/best ref we have in England how come whenever he refs a game involving utd and/or us he drops at least one massive clanger that always goes utd's way and is just seen as one of those things.

Surely he's supposed to be better than that?

Obviously in my view.

Penalty yesterday... Rest my case

I think there is an underlying fear of that horrible senile twat Baconface.

Riley had it.

Webb has it.

What annoys me is that they get away with it. Surely there must be an average for free kicks, pens, cards and the like as my guess is that they far exceed it year in year out.

from football365, makes interesting reading:

Howard Webb`s Last Ten Trips To OT

'What is it about Howard Webb and Old Trafford' asked the front-page blurb of F365 after Sunday's rather controversial FA Cup clash. Well now you can judge for yourself with our guide to his last ten matches at OT...

Man United 1 Man City 2, February 10, 2008

City's victory is more comfortable than the scoreline suggests - United score their goal in injury-time - and Webb enjoys a relatively easy day at the office. The game marks the last time that United fail to win a game at Old Trafford officiated by the Yorkshireman.

Man 2 United Arsenal 1, April 19, 2008

There is little argument from the Arsenal players - five of whom are booked during the 90 minutes - when William Gallas handles in the area and Webb awards a penalty that sees Cristiano Ronaldo equalise from the spot. Ten minutes later, Owen Hargreaves - remember him? - scores United's winner direct from a free-kick.

"You could give or not give the penalty. For the free-kick, Gilberto did not touch him," complains Arsene Wenger.

Man United 3 Chelsea 0, January 11, 2009

Less than 48 hours after Rafa Benitez advises Luiz Felipe Scolari to "man-mark" Ferguson and his coaching staff at half-time so that the referee is protected from interference, Webb cautions four Chelsea players within half an hour before a Nemanja Vidic header on the stroke of half-time sets United on their way to an emphatic victory.

Just moments before the Vidic goal, Webb had ruled out a Wayne Rooney 'goal' after United had taken a short corner that went unnoticed by most spectators inside Old Trafford.

Man United 2 Blackburn 1, February 21, 2009

Webb disallows a Jonny Evans header and cautions Cristiano Ronaldo for diving shortly before the forward scores the game's winning goal. Rovers complain afterwards that Ronaldo should have also been booked for flicking out - it hardly amounts to a kick - at David Dunn but the game's most controversial moment occurs in the final seconds when a clear shirt-pull inside the area by Rafael on Morten Gamst Pedersen goes unpunished.

"It would have to be pretty blatant to get a penalty at Old Trafford. We all know that," rages an angry Sam Allardyce. "You'd have to ask Howard Webb if Ronaldo should have been on the pitch. Those things come and go when you're playing at Old Trafford, don't they?"

Man United 5 Tottenham 2, April 24, 2009

In the words of the Daily Telegraph, 'it could have been the decision that secured United the championship'. United are trailing 2-0 with barely half an hour left to play when Webb - 'who was almost 35 yards away, and behind play' - awards a penalty when Heurelho Gomes tangles with Michael Carrick. Replays clearly show the goalkeeper took ball before man. "The players can't believe it," says Harry Redknapp. "It changed the game." Momentum shifted, Spurs collapse and United never looked back.

"I think it was a case of a referee crumbling under the pressure at Old Trafford really," complains Jermaine Jenas. "The atmosphere, the occasion, the importance of the match, a lot of factors take their toll when making decisions. One thing which struck me about it was that he didn't even think. It was like he'd already made his mind up when he came out for the second half that he was going to give something. It was a very important moment in the season."

Man United 3 Man City 1, January 27, 2010

Webb makes his first return to Old Trafford since the Gomes controversy for the second-leg Carling Cup semi-final. United eventually progress to Wembley courtesy of an injury-time aggregate winner from Wayne Rooney, but the outcome could have been very different had Rio Ferdinand justifiably received his marching orders after 24 minutes of play after a clash with Carlos Tevez.

In the words of the BBC match report, 'Ferdinand was fortunate to escape punishment from referee Howard Webb when he caught the Argentine in the face with a swinging arm as they tussled for possession.'

Man United 2 Liverpool 1, March 21, 2010

Sir Alex Ferguson and Rafa Benitez clash on the touchline after Webb awards the home side a controversial 19th-minute penalty that enables the champions to draw level after Fernando Torres' early opener.

With replays also showing that the initial contact between Javier Mascherano and Antonio Valencia occurred outside of the box, Benitez accuses the United player of diving to win the penalty. Ferguson responds by applauding Webb's decision and arguing Mascherano should have been dismissed. "Refs are professional but we know about the influence of Sir Alex in everything," counters Benitez.

Man United 3 Liverpool 2, September 19, 2010

Though Liverpool claw their way back into the match through two disputed decisions, neither call is made by Webb. "They didn't offer anything and depended on decisions from the linesman to get back in the game," notes Sir Alex. With Darren Cann flagging for both infringements, and replays offering no evidence that Webb would have awarded either the free-kick or the penalty from which Steven Gerrard scores, the referee's big decision of the day is whether or not to dismiss last man John O'Shea for pulling back Fernando Torres.

As F365 argued at the time: 'The decision was taken quickly and apparently made without any consultation between Webb and Darren Cann, his long-time assistant whose flag-waving prompted the award of a free-kick. Ref365 argues in support of Webb on the basis that replays 'suggest' Torres would not have reached the ball. Denied the use of a replay, it must have been a 50-50 call from the officials and it's certainly debatable whether a defender making such a cynical foul in the full knowledge that he was the last man deserved the benefit of any doubt.'

Man United 1 Arsenal 0, December 13, 2010

Cann is not on duty and it is Webb's new assistant Dave Bryan who awards United a second-half penalty for a non-existent handball by Gael Clichy. Webb rubber-stamps the award and justice - or something close to it - is only served when Rooney blazes over the ball.

Four of the visitors are cautioned over the course of the game, while Rio Ferdinand escapes punishment for a hip-high, studs-up challenge on Bacary Sagna and Darren Fletcher isn't even cautioned for chasing after Webb before pushing the official.

Man United 1 Liverpool 0, January 9, 2011

In sharp contrast to events six months previously, it is Webb, from a distance of around 25 yards, who awards United their match-winning penalty for an alleged offence that occurs on almost exactly the same part of the pitch that saw Cann award Liverpool their penalty at Old Trafford in September. Replays indicate that Berbatov falls to the ground in an exaggerated fashion and show that Webb linesman did not signal that any foul took place. "The penalty is a joke," says new Pool boss Kenny Dalglish.

The Scot is further aggrieved by Webb's decision to dismiss Steven Gerrard but there is little sympathy for the Liverpool captain after his reckless lunge.

Football365 | Features | F365 Features | Howard Webb's Last Ten Trips To OT

That's just at Old Trafford, he's a cunt everywhere.

Fabregas stopping Gerrard's last minute goal bound free kick last season with both hands above his head at the Emirates, no penalty. Dirk being absolutely flattened by Gallas in the box last season, as blatant a penalty as you'll ever see, not for Webb though. The man is a bent cunt of the highest order.

What it boils down to, is that I'm sure everyone thought the same thing when they heard he was in charge. We all knew he'd do his best to screw us over.

Had it been any other ref, I'd have been worried that we might get done over by a bad decision too, but it's different with Webb. He's the new Steve Bennett.

If you'd told me that Martin Atkinson was in charge, or that Atwater chump, I'd have said "he's a bit shit him, hope he doesn't make a costly mistake." You tell me Webb is in charge, and it's "Fucks sake, we're in trouble." It isn't worrying about him making a mistake, it's about worrying he's going to fuck us over by doing them his usual favours.

That's the difference.

What it boils down to, is that I'm sure everyone thought the same thing when they heard he was in charge. We all knew he'd do his best to screw us over.

Had it been any other ref, I'd have been worried that we might get done over by a bad decision too, but it's different with Webb. He's the new Steve Bennett.

If you'd told me that Martin Atkinson was in charge, or that Atwater chump, I'd have said "he's a bit shit him, hope he doesn't make a costly mistake." You tell me Webb is in charge, and it's "Fucks sake, we're in trouble." It isn't worrying about him making a mistake, it's about worrying he's going to fuck us over by doing them his usual favours.

That's the difference.

I was talking to a mate last week when I found out he was the ref. I said to him that I was going to go in to Laddys and get money on a United penalty and one of our players being sent off, half in jest really. I never did it. My mate txt me yesterday reminding me of what I said. That says it all about the cunt.

That's the difference.

Couldn't put it better myself, I know whenever he ref's one of our games I'll spend the train ride home calling him all sorts, the funny thing is I go with my old man and he usually calms me down with this sort of shit as he was the same at my age. But he calls him all sorts as well the man is just bent, simple as!