You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on San Don

I'm getting fed up of hearing from people from other Countries that us UK people are arrogant. Yeah maybe our Media is but who's isn't.

It's about getting just one overseas vote. One fucking vote. I could take that on the chin if it was a weak bid, but it wasn't. It was one of the strongest and is deserved of more than one vote (two including our man). What were we missing from our bid that caused such a low count (in terms of exisiting infrastructure, turnover, passion, transport, stadia...etc). I'm not bothered about us not getting it, I'm bothered about just 2 votes. Just give us a chance at least (with this perticular strong bid in mind).

If arrogance is reeling from the injustice then we're bloody well arrogant, us.

At least we have The Eurovision Song Contest.

...oh wait.

The "arrogance" is what you've just summed up perfectly.

Everybody knows FIFA are bent. Everybody knows that you will only ever win if you cross some corrupt know-nothing fat loser's palm with some silver, and everyone knows it has absolutely nothing to do with your infrastructure or your actual ability to host the world cup!

SO, rightly or wrongly, you simply can NOT then cry about it and demand that you should have got it, when you've already known all of this shit for years!!!

I know it isn't right. And I'm really pleased that we didn't stoop to that shit, but that was always the criteria.

There have surely been ZERO surprises to anybody but the most arrogant of retarded simpletons??

Pissing your knickers about how our bid was "the best" doesn't mean fuck all. It meant fuck all before we lost, and it means fuck all know.

Instead of whinging and crying and moaning and embarrassing themselves, those behind the bid should now just use the word "corrupt" and "cunts" about 20 times a day to anyone and everyone who will listen.

the best thing that will come out of this is that I know imagine all the arrogant, jingoistic, Ingurlund, dum-banging journos will now be out in full force to put an end to fat pricks like Blatter and his boys.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

Anyone who went to Istanbul and/or Athens, and no doubt some others along the way, shouldn't be shocked at todays decisions. These bit coporate gobshites did what the do best and made a decision that wasn't based on the actual merits of those involved.

That isn't my way of excusing them but some of the outrage makes me think that many didn't think this possible when all along it was highly probable.

Time for Kerry Packer style circus

England

Germany

France

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Argentia

Brazil

Uraguay

Should all boycott the next world cup and play there own tournament and invite 3 other teams to make a super 12

I imagine Australia and the US might be up for it too after todays farce.

In all seriousness tho - if 1 country did stand up to them, as a start, and get the backing of a few others - it would be interesting to see what could happen.

Anyone who went to Istanbul and/or Athens, and no doubt some others along the way, shouldn't be shocked at todays decisions. These bit coporate gobshites did what the do best and made a decision that wasn't based on the actual merits of those involved.

That isn't my way of excusing them but some of the outrage makes me think that many didn't think this possible when all along it was highly probable.

Exactly.

i was expecting England to win this world cup even less that i was expecting to win the euromillions last weekend.

there was practically zero chance of it ever happening.

The "arrogance" is what you've just summed up perfectly.

Everybody knows FIFA are bent. Everybody knows that you will only ever win if you cross some corrupt know-nothing fat loser's palm with some silver, and everyone knows it has absolutely nothing to do with your infrastructure or your actual ability to host the world cup!

SO, rightly or wrongly, you simply can NOT then cry about it and demand that you should have got it, when you've already known all of this shit for years!!!

I know it isn't right. And I'm really pleased that we didn't stoop to that shit, but that was always the criteria.

There have surely been ZERO surprises to anybody but the most arrogant of retarded simpletons??

Pissing your knickers about how our bid was "the best" doesn't mean fuck all. It meant fuck all before we lost, and it means fuck all know.

Instead of whinging and crying and moaning and embarrassing themselves, those behind the bid should now just use the word "corrupt" and "cunts" about 20 times a day to anyone and everyone who will listen.

the best thing that will come out of this is that I know imagine all the arrogant, jingoistic, Ingurlund, dum-banging journos will now be out in full force to put an end to fat pricks like Blatter and his boys.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

Errrr

Tom, have a look at my post and tell me where I've demanded that we were given it or I'm pissing into my lady-girl Knickers.

I'm annoyed that we only got the one overseas vote despite a strong bid...obviously accepting that it's a corrupt process and being frustrated at that fact (I made that point in my post).

Am I supposed to just accept that and just shrug my shoulders and not speak a word of how I think FIFA are a shower of piss?.

It's not news to me they are crocked, but don't talk down to me and tell me to accept it and that I'm with those lot being a retarded, simpleton girl. I've hardly flown off the handle like you have.

Guest The Chimp
The current Asian federation president, Mohammed bin Hammam, is Qatari.

Yep that was my point. I've met him in KL (where the AFC is based). Also don't believe the hype mate, Blatter was never supportive of the Qatari bid really. I'd say them getting it shows a pretty obvious shifting of power in FIFA from Blatter to bin Hamman.

FIFA think they are the new UN and are more interested in developing countries and football in countries than having a great WC.

Let me add, while doing this they also get moe money since they increase the market.

What would FIFA gain by having the WC in England, no much, it would be a great WC most likely but apart from that they can only invent the wheel once.

Time for Kerry Packer style circus

England

Germany

France

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Argentia

Brazil

Uraguay

Should all boycott the next world cup and play there own tournament and invite 3 other teams to make a super 12

I wouldn't mind seeing this. Add the African champions too.

There's too much international football. We have a very strong Premier League and the other strong domestic leagues are superb too. International football has lost its sheen. Its a throwback to woodbines and clogs when there was honour in the game and it wasn't about the money. We don't really need international football any more as it is already an international game and we see the best players regularly.

Let's just see the best players in the best 12 nations go at it in their own World Cup. Stop with the nonsense of all the qualifying games too, when your only concern is not having Liverpool players injured when they are away on international duty.

Also, as to why England lost the bid, it is, of course, all about the money. There is a river of dirty money flowing through Russia. And there is a river of oil money flowing through Qatar. It is easy in either situation for many millions to be diverted to FIFA officials.

They are a cartel. They have their international shindig every four years and they are raking it in in a sea of corruption. The scrutiny all that would get in England would be far too much for them to risk, and so it is much better to go the venues that were chosen.

It stinks, and it can be stopped in its tracks with an alternative where we see the best countries play each other (which would be interesting) but do away with all the hassle of qualifying and seeing our club players play too much.

Yep that was my point. I've met him in KL (where the AFC is based). Also don't believe the hype mate, Blatter was never supportive of the Qatari bid really. I'd say them getting it shows a pretty obvious shifting of power in FIFA from Blatter to bin Hamman.

I'm not saying he was really supportive of the Qatari bid. I'm saying he has the influence to get other excos to look close at the Qatari bid, possibly on the premise that USA, Japan and Korea have all had it once, so maybe it was really a choice between Qatar and Australia in his mind. By gently leaning towards the Qatari bid, he keeps bin Hammam off his back as regards the next presidential election, for which there are no other candidates willing to throw their hat into the ring.

CAF's Issa Hayatou is trying to keep members of his own federation onside so won't upset the apple cart given his own precarious position. He's trying to keep South Africa's Danny Jordaan at bay. The other possible is Michel Platini, and he's already said he's still too wet behind the ears to take on something of that magnitude so soon. So Blatter has used his influence to keep bin Hammam quiet so he can then leave the post when he wants to under his own terms.

As I said before, he's used similar tactics first to gain the presidency in 1998, and then retain it in 2002.

FIFA might have shot themselves in the foot over these two awards, sure they've greased their own palms (they always have, so no surprise there then) but in making the "family" bigger by awarding the finals to two previously unused venues, they risk antagonising their existing members, as the gap between them holding finals therefore grows larger potentially (as does their turn in palm greasing).

The situation therefore arrives where England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany etc realise the gravy train gets further away (and that's just in Europe, what about Uruguay, Argentina, Mexico, USA etc across the Atlantic?).

Eventually they'll get fed up of being ignored and could feasibly organise their own tournament, sponsored by Sky or some other organisation that'll benefit, and FIFA will clash with them. Only one winner there then.

As the best footballers are mainly European and South American then their Associations will dictate where they will compete internationally.

FIFA would be left with a tournament of the smaller footballing nations.

Guest Pistonbroke

Rumours are that the Jamaica will get the 2026 World cup as Sepp Blatter has acquired a taste for rum and coke ( not the fizzy kind either). In a double announcement the 2030 World cup will be going to that hot bed of football Luxembourg.

How the hell did England expect Jack Warner to vote for them when he has been slaughtered in this country as a crock for ages without any proof? He looks like he came on top, he wasted their time, promised them a vote, then ignore them lool

How the hell did England expect Jack Warner to vote for them when he has been slaughtered in this country as a crock for ages without any proof? He looks like he came on top, he wasted their time, promised them a vote, then ignore them lool

no proof?

Play the Game: FIFA fines Jack Warner’s son for touting World Cup tickets

the mistake was dealing with the corrupt fuckers in the first place

ok but what goes around comes around and he got his revenge on England. 3 days before the vote, BBC made him look like a crock....would you vote England if you got the same coverage?

no, hence why I wasnt suprised by the result, all of the media need to pick up from where the BBC left off and expose the process for what it is, until they do I wouldnt waste a single penny on another bid

no, hence why I wasnt suprised by the result, all of the media need to pick up from where the BBC left off and expose the process for what it is, until they do I wouldnt waste a single penny on another bid

where you have money you will always have corruption, look at our politicians with the expenses. I also dont buy that England is whiter than white and everyone else is corrupted. We need people to calm down and just accept we didnt get it, just look at the amount of big sporting events we have comming 10 year, the olympics, the cl final, the ashes, rugby wc, the common wealth and superbowl final.

I don't see the problem here, let's face it you got the Olympics by bribing a whole load of IOC fuckers, cos the're as bent as FIFA.

now everybody's crying about the world cup. Either pay the fuckers or don't bid.

Anyway, hopefully we'll now see the end of brand fucking Beckham. That cock is wheeled out religiously every time.

A toff, a Tory and a Twat. Sanctimonious pricks thinking they'd just rock up and swing the vote. Lepers.

where you have 22 men who vote in secret you will always have corruption, the process is flawed, it needs transparency

And its astonishing that they are allowed to get away with it.

They go into a room, they vote and we only come to know the result of it. You would have thought FIFA are run by Mugabe or Saddam.

Equally astonishing is seeing all the journos and sports people getting their knickers in a twist. They all KNOW FIFA are one proper bunch of corrupt bastards! Its a bit like asking why United get 5 mins of stoppage time when they are trailing at Old Trafford. FIFA will do whats best for them, always has been, always will be. If England think they can win a bidding war in a fair way, they are in cloud cuckoo land.

where you have 22 men who vote in secret you will always have corruption, the process is flawed, it needs transparency

There was never going to be any other outcome.

That said, FIFA have arguably made a major fuck up with England going out at Stage 1 and with just 2 votes.

That result in itself shines a massive searchlight on them, and opens themselves up to the type of scrutiny that has been needed for years.

There is simply no way that the 2 votes for England stands up to scrutiny.

It was arguably the best bid on paper - commercially and technically - and the best presentation on the day. No one could credibly argue that the bid itself bombed.

That does not mean it had to win, but it gives massive credence to those that argue it was the result of "politics" - and "IF" the real aim all along was to give 2018 to Russia via an engineered voting process, then they screwed up badly.

If they had wanted to take away all the scrutiny, then England should have got through to the final stage, and then lost out to Russia by the odd couple of votes. No-one could then argue with the result.

FIFA could argue that the UK media "slurs" had played no part, and that FIFA bore no grudges to the free press, the likes of the Blues -v- Villa trouble had not come into it, or anything like that - they could have simply argued that it was a great bid, but it just lost out by a whisker to another great bid, and that Russia were therefore the deserving hosts.

However, the 2 votes to England does nothing but put a bloody great flashing light against the result along with a sign saying "Investigate Me" - it simply cannot stand up to scrutiny, or be explained away as a "freak" result - and the more FIFA try to explain it away, the more it will stand out as being exactly what it was - the result of a morally and procedurally corrupt system.

In way, the FIFA exec may have just signed their own death warrants - as that result now gives all those media, investigative, regulatory or other agencies the perfect excuse to unleash the dogs of war in terms of exposing FIFA for what many believe they really are.

Arguably, the gloves have just been taken off and FIFA could ultimately reap what they have sown. Here's hoping.