You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

Luis Suarez (?) just posted this on his Facebook page:

(Luis Suarez Liverpool (official) | Facebook)

"FC Porto manager Andre Villas-Boas has agreed to become the new Liverpool manager next season.

Gazzetta dello Sport reports the 33-year-old rejected a move to Roma because he has already signed a pre-contract with the Anfield club.

The Portuguese is regarded as the hottest prospect in football management and has been labelled the ‘next Jose Mourinho’.

Villas-Boas worked under the ‘Special One’ at Chelsea but the pair fell out over the differing views on style of play.

He has just won the Portuguese first division title, breaking many of Mourinho’s records at the club.

Mourinho’s right-hand man at Chelsea, Steve Clarke, is already the number two at Liverpool and is known to be an admirer of Villas-Boas.

Many clubs have been after the Porto boss with Inter Milan and Roma said to be at the head of the queue.

Reports suggest Villas-Boas met Franco Baldini, who has strong ties with Roma, and told him he could not take charge at the Stadio Olimpico because he already had a pre-agreement with Liverpool.

Mourinho has also told Villas-Boas it is too early in his career to move to Italy and that going to the Premier League would be more beneficial"

I will never understand why some people have a massive hard-on to appoint a manager who has literally achieved nothing of note in his career to date, over a club legend and a man with the second best record in English football of any living manager, who has come back and turned our form around hugely and brought some self-respect and unity back to the club.

It's just fucking bonkers. And by the way, if Kenny isn't given the job then FSG can fuck off a very long way.

I could understand it when we were hoping to replace Roy, but as you say, considering anyone but Kenny seems ridiculous to me. I like the look of this Porto chap, seems like a hot prospect, but not as a replacement for someone who is as ace as Kenny and is doing the business. It doesn't make sense.

From what I see people aren't suggesting Kenny being replaced, merely discussing if, IF, FSG are to bring in their own man who would it be? Kenny should have been given the job after Man U at home but for one reason or another hasn't. Maybe FSG are waiting to sort the contract out at the end of the season, maybe they're waiting to see who's interested and available.

I know I just can't bare this shit. Give Kenny a second series you shit!

I will never understand why some people have a massive hard-on to appoint a manager who has literally achieved nothing of note in his career to date, over a club legend and a man with the second best record in English football of any living manager, who has come back and turned our form around hugely and brought some self-respect and unity back to the club.

It's just fucking bonkers. And by the way, if Kenny isn't given the job then FSG can fuck off a very long way.

Indeed. If it should happen, he gets until October-November to have us on in with a shout of, at a bare minimum, CL qualification or the cunt can fuck off home. Just as Roy should've been told to do at that stage.

So what if Kenny actually preferred for it to be somebody else next season? What if he thought it was for the best?

If he wanted to call it a day, then no-one could complain. It would just cause a huge amount of resentment if were passed over after doing such a fine job with a severely unbalanced squad. Under such circumstances, no replacement would be given a chance.

I'm usually very patient with managers, but it was clear within a couple of months that Hodgson was out of his depth, so a new man replacing Kenny - a proven winner - and failing to hit the ground running would immediately have it all to prove to a huge proportion of the fan base. Like Hodgson but in all likelihood less wanted.

Still, I'd like to think FSG will make the right choice - Other than dallying a bit with Roy when it was clear he simply couldn't take us forward, I think they've made a fantastic start. Even with Roy, much as that situation still bothers me when I see how much closer to fourth we'd likely be with Kenny starting a month earlier, that they only took the helm in October is a mitigating factor.

Edited by TheDrowningMan

When things are finally looking like settling down a bit, the last thing we need is a FOURTH manager in a year.

Give it to Kenny for another season or two. If it doesn't work out he will be the first one to admit that and he won't hold the club for ransom like most of the managers will.

Appoint Kenny, spend decent in the summer and see where we go from there.

I have been saying on twitter* since this was announced that AVB may well have signed a pre-contract. It wouldn't mean he is coming here this summer.

Whilst technically illegal these sorts of deal are quite common and I think Ronaldo signed one with Madrid before United agreed to sell him.

Basically we would bung AVB say £500k to agree to join us at the end of his contract (I think that as 2/3 years left?) or sooner if we agree terms with Porto.

IF he goes elsewhere he breaches the contract which has compensation clauses in - so he might owe us say £5m as a detterrent.

If we decide not to take him then he walks away at the end of the fixed period with £500k in his back pocket.

its a win/win for everyone - we get first dibs on him and the financial risk is low.

I suspect FSG are assuming KD for 2 seasons whilst AVB finishes his contract and has another crack at europe with Porto but things could change.

*blatant advert - @pauledwards1973

Hahahaha!

Do you really think if the decision was left 100% to Kenny he'd think that?

Behave.

I have no idea what Kenny's thinking other than he feels tremendous pride in the job he's doing and is massively grateful he's had the chance to do it. Neither of those things means he thinks he's the best person to take us forward or he thinks he can help the club best by being the manager.

you have the raving loons on here saying give it to Kenny everybody else can fuck off

Its down to the man himself and whether he thinks he's the best man for the job.

He said not to take the job would have been letting the fans down but the bloke has to genuinely believe he is the best man for the job to take it forward in the summer, they are totally different things. Only he knows how hard he's finding the job, whether he's confident with the ideas and training methods, managing the ego's of millionaire primadonnas etc. To me he looks like he's never been happier but I dont know whats going on inside the lads mind.

The fans are putting massive pressure on him to carry on, he knows the faith and trust they have in him, its going to be tough on him to say give it to somebody else even if he thought it was for the best but I trust the bloke totally to do what he thinks is right, I think he's the best man right now to lead the club forward, but only he knows if he believes he is.

They can't appoint anybody without getting Kenny's approval anybody else's position would be untenable without Kenny giving them the nod.

But if Kenny did say let somebody else do it then what happens - were do those saying everybody else can fuck off go then? We'd need to get behind that man and not be constantly looking back at Kenny, comparing the two and making the new lads position impossible.

I have no idea what Kenny's thinking other than he feels tremendous pride in the job he's doing and is massively grateful he's had the chance to do it. Neither of those things means he thinks he's the best person to take us forward or he thinks he can help the club best by being the manager.

you have the raving loons on here saying give it to Kenny everybody else can fuck off

Its down to the man himself and whether he thinks he's the best man for the job.

He said not to take the job would have been letting the fans down but the bloke has to genuinely believe he is the best man for the job to take it forward in the summer, they are totally different things. Only he knows how hard he's finding the job, whether he's confident with the ideas and training methods, managing the ego's of millionaire primadonnas etc. To me he looks like he's never been happier but I dont know whats going on inside the lads mind.

The fans are putting massive pressure on him to carry on, he knows the faith and trust they have in him, its going to be tough on him to say give it to somebody else even if he thought it was for the best but I trust the bloke totally to do what he thinks is right, I think he's the best man right now to lead the club forward, but only he knows if he believes he is.

They can't appoint anybody without getting Kenny's approval anybody else's position would be untenable without Kenny giving them the nod.

But if Kenny did say let somebody else do it then what happens - were do those saying everybody else can fuck off go then? We'd need to get behind that man and not be constantly looking back at Kenny, comparing the two and making the new lads position impossible.

You are living in a world of make believe though.