You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

But we're not talking about replacing him. Kenny doesn't have the job, he's currently a caretaker until the end of the season. I for one would be ecstatic if he's given the job full time to have a crack at rebuilding a dynasty he helped once create but for one reason or another he's not been given the job yet. That's why a discussion about an alternative has begun, and Villas Boas falls under the kind of man FSG may go for.

I dont realy give a fuck about what they would go for and a manager that fits there profile. Im grateful they rescued us from cunt and cunter but they have been in the game 5 mins. I already dont like the appointment of commoli as the idea that some 38 year old french fella who no one had realy heard of until this season been given the power to maybe bring in players over the head of lets face it arguably the greatest footbal mind in this country dosent sit well with me. And the idea of replacing him with some fella thats had a good season at porto who is what 33 and again is just plain stupid no matter what his potential. Dont forget we have been buying players for years that have potential and what we need now is proven quailty. Same goes for the manager and to me theres no one in this country apart from slur with a better cv.

Guest TK-421
I dont realy give a fuck about what they would go for and a manager that fits there profile. Im grateful they rescued us from cunt and cunter but they have been in the game 5 mins. I already dont like the appointment of commoli as the idea that some 38 year old french fella who no one had realy heard of until this season been given the power to maybe bring in players over the head of lets face it arguably the greatest footbal mind in this country dosent sit well with me. And the idea of replacing him with some fella thats had a good season at porto who is what 33 and again is just plain stupid no matter what his potential. Dont forget we have been buying players for years that have potential and what we need now is proven quailty. Same goes for the manager and to me theres no one in this country apart from slur with a better cv.

I haven't read the thread but agree with all of this.

The direction this thread has taken is absolutely astonishing. We actually have people backing the idea of bringing in a 33 year old manager in place of Kenny Dalglish.

Some of you people really need to get a grip here.

Remind me how old Kenny was when he first got the job?

Regardless if people give a fuck or not, it's down to FSG who they appoint and how they see the club moving forward.

We want Kenny in charge but if FSG want someone else they'll get them if they're available. I think John W Henry has a bit of a ruthless streak under the quiet, reserved personality and he will get the man he wants in charge.

When people haven't heard of someone does not mean they are not very qualified and a big name in their business ? do you know many other football scouts around the football world shouter ? AVB is the same age that Kenny had when he took over the first time. Im not saying that we should replace him with Kenny but just closing your eyes and never welcome a change will not get you far and thats why liverpool football club has been left behind in so many areas around the club, from financially and right down to player development.

I'd give him a chance, but if he didn't have us in a good position - top 6 bare minimum and very close to top four - by November, I'd want him sacked. You can't be taking chances on a 33 year old with only one season in management and no experience of the English game behind him. No faffing around like there was with Hodgson, as we'd be in the CL next season if FSG hadn't given him a million and one last chances. Give him a shot, but it's Dalglish to replace him if he doesn't work out.

Fuck that just give it to Kenny.

Its simple common sense.

Do it John

That would be preferable and by a long shot. No one is going to give him much of a chance (myself included - I'd give him a chance, as I said, but not much of one if he looks anything but a natural and a winner early on) if he were to arrive and fail to hit the ground running. I think from many he'd get it in the neck much quicker than Hodgson did, and I couldn't blame them as he'd be replacing a very successful and beloved manager in Kenny.

Same goes for the dour and uninspiring Deschamps.

There's no harm in keeping all options available. If AVB, Mourinho or whoever else is the man FSG want to take the club forward, we'll just have to trust them.

Boas? As I said, if he got the job, he has a couple of months to show he's worthy. You can't take chances with someone with that little experience and nothing in the English game. Mourinho would have to prove very, very quickly that he can mount a serious title challenge without having the ability to outspend everyone else. It would be idiocy to keep him around if he couldn't do so.

We've seen that Dalglish has the ability to have us win enough points to keep us near the leaders, form-wise. If he were replaced, that would be the bare minimum expectation from a successor over his first six or seven games.

Boas? As I said, if he got the job, he has a couple of months to show he's worthy. You can't take chances with someone with that little experience and nothing in the English game. Mourinho would have to prove very, very quickly that he can mount a serious title challenge without having the ability to outspend everyone else. It would be idiocy to keep him around if he couldn't do so.

We've seen that Dalglish has the ability to have us win enough points to keep us near the leaders, form-wise. If he were replaced, that would be the bare minimum expectation from a successor over his first six or seven games.

He knows the english game well from living next door to Sir Bobby and working at Chelsea for three years. He took coaching courses over here when he was 17. You can't say he has a couple of months to show he's worthy, if he's given the job he has a year at the very least.

I'm not saying Boas should be given the job, i'm saying when a decision is made; it has to be carefully thought out. It may well be that FSG want a young, progressive manager with no ties to the club to bring a fresh perspective. It may be the case that they want Kenny to continue the superb job he's doing because he knows the club and the people and is the epitome of 'the liverpool way'.

He knows the english game well from living next door to Sir Bobby and working at Chelsea for three years. He took coaching courses over here when he was 17. You can't say he has a couple of months to show he's worthy, if he's given the job he has a year at the very least.

No he doesn't. If he starts badly, he's cooked, just like Hodgson was. In fact, it would be much worse because we've seen what Kenny is capable of, despite our wildly uneven and injury decimated squad. If Villa-Boas or anyone for that matter stole the job and failed to have us challenging for the minimum of a Champions League spot, he would, not unreasonably given the hubris it would take to accept the job under such circumstances, be a genuine hate figure within a few months. "Hodgson for England" would seem like a very mild chant, I suspect.

We have a manager who has shown that he can keep us on pace with the leaders - If a successor comes in and has let us lag miserably behind, he's done. You don't replace Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool unless you can significantly outperform him.

Edited by TheDrowningMan

In alot of peoples eyes there's nobody who can outperform him. What happens when Kenny wants out in 5-10 years time maybe? We might aswell give up because who can compare to him? I'm sure this is why it took so long for FSG to sppoint Kenny in the first place; the job becomes a poisoned chalice.

In alot of peoples eyes there's nobody who can outperform him. What happens when Kenny wants out in 5-10 years time maybe? We might aswell give up because who can compare to him? I'm sure this is why it took so long for FSG to sppoint Kenny in the first place; the job becomes a poisoned chalice.

No, because then he'll have left. Not effectively been sacked for doing an excellent job. If he were putting in a shitty display of managerial ineptitude, the situation would be different.

Remind me how old Kenny was when he first got the job?

Kenny was already a club legend at that stage so to even consider comparing the two is absurd. Villas Boas has done a fine job at Porto, but to suggest he should replace Kenny Dalglish is beyond absurd. Dalglish deserves this chance and has proven that with the few games he has been in charge. However, it seems not all of our fan base are convinced.

To be fair Xherdan, I don't think anyone here has advocated giving AVB the job over Kenny. People are just discussing the merits of the Portuguese if FSG do the incorrect think and not appoint the King.

Some people believe he would be an able replacement, others don't.

People are also considering the appointment of Theo Epstein and believe that the appointment of Villas Boas would adhere to the FSG philosophy. The two situations are completely different. We already have a club legend and top quality manager in King Kenny. Give him the job, get it over and done with. If Villas Boas is happy to come after next season and work as Kenny's assistant to eventually replace him then perhaps it is something to consider.

People are also considering the appointment of Theo Epstein and believe that the appointment of Villas Boas would adhere to the FSG philosophy. The two situations are completely different. We already have a club legend and top quality manager in King Kenny. Give him the job, get it over and done with. If Villas Boas is happy to come after next season and work as Kenny's assistant to eventually replace him then perhaps it is something to consider.

this ^

Kenny's assistant? That's a bit insulting to the man! He deserves a crack at a top job and shouldn't settle for less.

I hope Kenny gets the job and keeps it for as long as he feels he wants it and can do it. Kenny will know when to leave. If, when Kenny leaves, Villas-Boas is available, I'd go all guns blazing for him but until then, I don't even want to hear about it. Kenny's working miracles up there. I was too young to understand what a great man Kenny was when he was there and I understand now.