You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

Talented young players are increasingly costing more money, that's just a fact of football. How do they suppose we snap up all these "wunderkinds" without overpaying?

Man City will also be supplementing their squad with talented youngsters, United have been doing it for years, Chelsea have started doing this too, Arsenal are the masters at it, and spurs were the team that snapped up Bale and Modric at inflated prices, in order to secure them before anyone else.

At some point or other, the realisation is going to have to hit home that all the top clubs in world football know who the emerging stars look like being, including the clubs that currently own them. We will not be snapping any potential top class players up on the cheap, no matter how many times we say this is NESV's plan. I hope they have a plan B.

How much did we pay for Suso, Sterling and Silva.

These kids are going to be top players for us of that im sure of.

Top young players can still be found on the cheap and im sure FSG will be more then willing to pay the money to get them but its the crazy figures of £25m+ for Lukaku who looks a good prospect but has done nothing yet to justify that figure.

Personally i would pay £15m but even then i would be thinking we had overpaid.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top young players can still be found on the cheap and im sure FSG will be more then willing to pay the money to get them but its the crazy figures of £25m+ for Lukaku who looks a good prospect but has done nothing yet to justify that figure.

you finish top scorer in any league at 16 and people will want top money

Going back a few pages, Taiwo would be a very good choice for left back, especially at a reduced price since his contract is winding down. If we can sign him we should. He would improve us a lot.

As for Lukaku, yes please. Hopefully not over £20M. He is worth £12-15M based on what he has done so far, but you pay a premium on top due to his young age and also due to competition. And he has a chance to progress to one of the best strikers in the world and be worth £50M or more. He is also a strong lad, and that augurs well to adjusting the the physical Premier League. He would be an excellent signing.

As for Suarez, he certainly knows where the net is and would be a good signing too. Lukaku could potentially replace Nando, whereas Suarez would complement Nando (or Lukaku for that matter).

Taiwo should be a no brainer.

THen if it was a choice between Lukaku and Suraz, I'd go with Lukaku, but I'd hardly be disappointed with the biting crazy man either.

Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs lead chase for £25m Lukaku, confirms Anderlecht Chief

Published 12:16 15/01/11 By Football Spy

Anderlecht have confirmed a trio of Premier League clubs are leading the race to sign teenage sensation Romelu Lukaku.

Speaking to Goal.com, general manager Herman van Holsbeeck also confirmed that it would take a bid of £25m to secure the starlet's services.

"Our price will be around €30m (£25.3m)," said van Holsbeeck.

"If you ask for between €20m and €30m for a footballer in Europe there are a maximum of 15 teams who can pay this amount. These 15 teams are all interested in Romelu Lukaku but it depends sometimes on what resources the team has at the time.

"We received one offer from an English club three days before the end of the August transfer period. It was €10m immediately and €10m in one year. We would not accept the offer because we want to keep the player."

Spanish giants Real Madrid are known to be one of those clubs monitoring Lukaku, but van Holsbeeck thinks that the player will most likely end up in the Premier League.

"For him the team is in England," he said.

"We have some managers who send people to inform us about the interest. It depends on the offers. We know that teams like Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool are interested in him and that they follow the player.

"There is some interest from Real Madrid but we know they are interested in every good young player.

"What for us is the right club? The Premier League clubs from the UK are the biggest clubs in the world with a lot of money."

Transfer news Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham lead chase for £25m Romelu Lukaku, confirms Anderlecht chief - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

I know they are talented, but I would be surprised if 2 out of the 3 made it here, and had good careers with us. Not because they aren't good enough, they're just too young at this stage to really know. Besides, if they start filling the reserves/youth teams with £0-2m youngsters then that's exactly what we've been doing for the last 4 years, and exactly how many of the highly rated youngsters have stepped up to become first team regulars?

I agree that £15m is too much, and he's not worth it. But £10m for Bale was too much when Spurs paid that, £16m was too much for Modric at the time. £12m was definitely too much for plastic Ronaldo, especially considering Thompsons take on that story.

We/NESV either put up or shut up or we think of a different strategy. One thing is for sure, we will struggle to ever compete for the championship in my life time, if our long term approach is to fill the squad with £0-2m youngsters.

I haven't read this thread but we have been linked with Demba Cisse just seen him score two goals for Freiburg, the first was a real sweet strike.

Just goggled him and he may be available for 5million euros. Maybe Comolli knows him through his work in France.

He maybe going through a hot streak but he seemed to have good movement and a powerful strike. One to keep an eye out for. Doing well in the German league.

Coentrao: "I like Liverpool a lot"

From the Italian website Calciomercato, which itself quotes an interview with the player in SIC (?).

http://www.calciomercato.com/mercato...verpool-588504

Anyway, it basically translates as:

In an interview with SIC, Fabio Coentrao talked about his future (saying): "I like Liverpool a lot, but who wouldn't want to be coached by Mourinho?"

What's the latest with him joining Real?

I know this is not much to go on, and know nothing about the credibility of the source, but on a day that we've been linked to Steven Warnock then I thought it might provide a little relief that someone decent still actually finds us an appealing club.

prenno David Prentice

Sunday papers linking Liverpool with a move for Stewart Downing. Good player. Would offer pace and width - both desperately needed.

Hopefully this is Sunday bollocks. Downing is better than what we have, but we still need better.

Unsure about this like but certainly against us at home, he was their best player.

Liverpool urged to buy 'Klinsmann copy' | Setanta

Liverpool have been advised to invest in Bayer Leverkusen's Stefan Kiessling by one of their former players.

The Reds' former defender Glenn Hysen has spoken of how his former boss Kenny Dalglish should sign Kiessling, as he believes the Germany international would be 'exactly what Liverpool need'.

The 26-year-old has been recently ruled out with injury, but made his return against Borussia Dortmund, scoring the consolation goal in their 3-1 defeat.

Last season, Kießling was prolific, scoring 21 goals in 35 games and finishing the second highest goalscorer in the Bundesliga; he has already notched up four in seven for this season.

Hysen, who is head coach of second division Swedish side Utsiktens BK, believes the Merseyside giants should secure a deal for the striker, especially if the want to return to the Champions League.

"They are in a situation where the talented players in Europe don't have them as their first choice," Hysen said.

"They'd rather go to Chelsea, Man United or Arsenal and that's a big thing for a club like Liverpool.

"Stefan Kiessling played ten minutes in the World Cup for Germany.

"He's been injured for a long time but he's back now.

"I saw him play yesterday and I think he's exactly the right type of player Liverpool need.

"He's a Jurgen Klinsmann copy. But nobody seems to want him, I don't know why because he's such a great player."