You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

Again van bommel is a player I would sign if we had no ambition other than mixing it up in the middle of the table. If this is where we want to stay by all means sign him and warnock. I think we should aim higher January or not. Id even give a youngster a chance over signing these 30 plus jobbers. I dont believe for one second either of those players will improve our side.

The club has moved quietly and efficiently the last few weeks im hoping they will surprise us.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will help us. I am shit scared when rival teams have the ball and walk through our midfield unimpeded. We have missed a destroyer like Mascherano in the midfield. We want good, young players but they are not available right now. He is a better defensive midfielder than anyone we have at the moment. In fact, on his day he can be the world' best. It is a short term fix but if we are in for a big signing in other positions i.e Forward or a Winger then why not? It makes sense.

Even though I've never been a big fan of Van Bommel, with what he has won and the calibre of managers that have put their faith in him, there is obviously something to him.I can see the logic of signing him for the short term, but the guy is too blatant with his fouls though!

I think M Sissoko of Toulouse and M'Vila of Rennes, although the latter is more defensive, are gettable and could do a job now. I think Michael Bradley of Borussia Mönchengladbach could do a job too, and wouldn't cost too much. I wonder if L Diarra from Madrid would be available on loan.

I do like Jay Spearing though, not the answer as first choice in the long term, and despite his size, his drive, aggression and leadership skills are great assets. Especially for our current plight.

Even though I've never been a big fan of Van Bommel, with what he has won and the calibre of managers that have put their faith in him, there is obviously something to him. I can see the logic of signing him for the short term, but the guy is too blatant with his fouls though!

I think M Sissoko of Toulouse and M'Vila of Rennes, although the latter is more defensive, are gettable and could do a job now. I think Michael Bradley of Borussia Mönchengladbach could do a job too, and wouldn't cost too much. I wonder if L Diarra from Madrid would be available on loan.

I agree that the other players are better but the team management may be thinking about the transfer budget too.

We need a striker, winger, DM, left back and a CB. We need to fill 5 positions and we cannot spend 20 million on each position in January. M'Villa would cost 15 million and will be available in June. Moreover, NESV might be a bit hesitant in backing a caretaker manager with 70 odd million in one transfer window. True we need big signings but all of them cannot be signed now. We can buy a forward or winger for 15/20 million and use the rest of the cash to buy players who can help us in other positions. Madrid want to sell L Diarra and don't have any intentions of loaning him.

At 33, Van Bommel is not a long term signing but we need someone experienced there who can do the job and stop the attacks. Our defenders are getting slaughtered almost every game and we need to stop that from happening. He still plays for the Dutch national side and the quality to cut it at the top level is still there. People who are saying he is shite have no clue. A six month stint for us would drag us out of the mess we are in.

For €3m VanBommel is definitely worth a punt. We could use an ould fart with attitude who knows how to use a ball and who might knock a few heads together.

Not a long term solution but taking care of the short term is the best way to take care of the long term, innit.

The worry is though, how many bookings and sending offs will he receive?

Just enough to avoid a suspension, if the World Cup is anything to go by.

I feel our midfield is naive and we need another snidey twat in there. Masch was great but I really hope Van Bommel isn't the answer.

If we're talking about these spanish youngsters, how is Canales getting along at Real Madrid? Is he getting any regular games or what? And how would you who watch La Liga daily rate Munain and Canales up against Pacheco\Suso ?

I dont now about canales but munian is almost a regular at bilbao and very exiting. Pacheco/Suso is stil just playing for a youth team our (reserve team) apart from some uefa cup cames for Pacheco

Canales again is another quality player but his options at Madrid have become extremely limited and I can't see that changing any time soon because of the form Ozil is in and the return of Kaka. It really depends on how he wants to progress as a player, he can sit on the bench or play for Real Madrid Castilla and wait for his opportunity or he can move on.

It's difficult to compare Muniain/Canales with Suso/Pacheco because of the vast difference of level they are playing at. As is well publicised, our reserve league and system is shite thus not allowing us too see the full potential of Pacheco and Suso. I'd say Suso, with some first team experience under his belt, would be of the same level as Muniain but until he is exposed to regular first team football it is difficult to tell.

Canales again is another quality player but his options at Madrid have become extremely limited and I can't see that changing any time soon because of the form Ozil is in and the return of Kaka. It really depends on how he wants to progress as a player, he can sit on the bench or play for Real Madrid Castilla and wait for his opportunity or he can move on.

It's difficult to compare Muniain/Canales with Suso/Pacheco because of the vast difference of level they are playing at. As is well publicised, our reserve league and system is shite thus not allowing us too see the full potential of Pacheco and Suso. I'd say Suso, with some first team experience under his belt, would be of the same level as Muniain but until he is exposed to regular first team football it is difficult to tell.

The sheer size of Spain's talent pool is just ridiculous....

Liverpools biggest challange is to find the new Alonso. He was the player who made our central defense calm because his position skills was second to none as well as his passing skills. I have been scouting Miralem Pjanic from Lyon and Borja Valero from Villareal. Who do you think we should buy?

Liverpools biggest challange is to find the new Alonso. He was the player who made our central defense calm because his position skills was second to none as well as his passing skills. I have been scouting Miralem Pjanic from Lyon and Borja Valero from Villareal. Who do you think we should buy?

Steven Defour, Éver Banega, Javi Martínez?

You cannot replace players of that quality mate. Every player is different and we would need to adopt a different style from what we had with Alonso.

Fofana, Houllier said they could not agree with his wage demands.He said that there is a structure in place and his demands would have put him on too much compared too the other youngsters in the side.

Downing would not be a bad option for the left aslong as we get more players in the box than just Torres,Downing would need targets to aim for.Nzogbia would be better value though.