You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

Downing reminds me of better version of Riera. For all his failings we do miss that style of option within our squad. I'd deffo look at signing DOwning at the right price, but as is pointed out, with Ashley Young likely to leave soon it'd probably take more than the right price to get him in.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing reminds me of better version of Riera. For all his failings we do miss that style of option within our squad. I'd deffo look at signing DOwning at the right price, but as is pointed out, with Ashley Young likely to leave soon it'd probably take more than the right price to get him in.

I actually think we miss Riera. He was hit and miss but he is someone I would have back on the left wing. I reckon we could get Downing for about £7-9 million. Ashley Young, your talking about £16 million possibly more.

I actually think we miss Riera. He was hit and miss but he is someone I would have back on the left wing. I reckon we could get Downing for about £7-9 million. Ashley Young, your talking about £16 million possibly more.

We miss the style more than the player I think. But with Young likely to move on Villa would therefore want more for Dowing. Don't know that for a fact but deffo would imagine so.

We miss the style more than the player I think. But with Young likely to move on Villa would therefore want more for Dowing. Don't know that for a fact but deffo would imagine so.

Agreed I probably associate Riera when we came second and were pretty unstoppable at times.

I wouldnt mind Downing or Young tbh offer more than what we have now and both still relatively young.

No we cannot. He was sold to villa for 12 million.

Why will they sell him for anything less? :whistle:

I think the problem with Riera wasn't so much ability based as opposed to attitude.

Yeah, just caught a re-run on ESPN of the Goodison derby a few years back where Torres got two. Riera looked the part - direct and intelligent. It was all downhill after that though.

Downing's a depressingly ordinary player. May as well resign ourselves to eternal 9th and 10th place finishes if that's the height of our ambitions. We need two additional quality attackers. The only Villa player we're after should be Young, not Warnock and/or Downing.

No we cannot. He was sold to villa for 12 million.

Why will they sell him for anything less? :whistle:

I did know they sold him for £12 million but considering he has not set the world alight I thought it could be a possibility but if they are after recouping that £12 million and more, think i may pass, may as well go and get chamberlain for the £9 million.

Rieras ball control was top class, really quick feet with the ball. He was just so slow he'd have to beat the same player again and again. He gave us a better balance though. Ive been praying for top quality wide players for years and years its got to the point were I dont think it will ever happen, we are allergic to them.

Downing's a depressingly ordinary player. May as well resign ourselves to eternal 9th and 10th place finishes if that's the height of our ambitions. We need two additional quality attackers. The only Villa player we're after should be Young, not Warnock and/or Downing.

I don't agree with that at all, apart from the Warnock part.

Dowing would add to our squad as an option in the wide areas. He wouldn't be a starter but he'd be a really good squad option.

As for Ashley Young, I don't rate him enough to start for us and for the price he'd cost he'd probably have to.

Suarez

SWP

Warnock

If we landed those three players it would mean we have put 3 players in the positions we have needed filling and we will have done that for around £20m and for a Jan transfer window that would be excellent work one or two bosman signings to join us in the summer and maybe 2 decent buys and we look a different club

on the playing of so called kids i would like to bet anyone that if Suso Silva or Patches Sterling where at any club outside the big 5 or 6 they would all be playing in the prem week in week out and that is the difference and is are biggest problem as a club its no use us casting the net for the best youngsters and then not letting them sniff the first team

United brought Scholls, Giggs, Neville's, Beckham, into a team with good older players unless we bite the bullet and put this tallent in the team together for a decent run from now until the end of the season the the wisdom of running a youth program has to be questioned

you might as well scrap the fucking lot save on the expense and but that saving into buying in the finished players must cost us around £20m a season maybe more to run this set up as it is so its time to back it or pack it in IMHO

Its time to set the direction in which we are going

Apparently Bascombe has said that players and agents have let Comolli know that they do not wish to join us without clarification of who the long term manager will be.

I am not suprised to be hearing this to be honest. With so much uncertainty surrounding the club you cannot blame players for not wanting to join us.

Apparently Bascombe has said that players and agents have let Comolli know that they do not wish to join us without clarification of who the long term manager will be.

I am not suprised to be hearing this to be honest. With so much uncertainty surrounding the club you cannot blame players for not wanting to join us.

Possibly another reason as to why Henry is over here, to discuss Dalglish's future as manager maybe? As you said it is to be expected from players.

I might be wrong here but doesn't Young have a release clause set around if a top club offers a certain amount he can leave i'm not sure if it was 12m but remember it being said and it was the reason for him signing a new contract

I have also been impressed with what i have seen of Chris Brunt this season would be a much better player, playing with better players,

Both players would improve us, but having said that Bella Emburg in wellies would improve us on the left just now.

As for Downing and his valuation that is set by what clubs are willing to pay and what his club are willing to except

If there is only one buyer then the price falls but if there are a number of clubs chasing the fee goes up but if the player has a clause in his contract set at a certain fee then that will be the top price he goes for

If the selling club wants rid again that effects the value its pointless trying to guess what price a player will be available at without knowing these facts just remember to this time a few years ago when a player was on a plane to come and sign when the deal was called off