You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to the point in our last game that I was thinking to myself that it isn't Torres FC and that I should chill out, etc. But now I realise it's not because of a Torres obsession at all, it's because he's usually the only player that seems to have a chance of scoring.

If we buy one player in this window I couldn't give a shit about the other positions, we need a striker. We've needed one for seasons now, it should be done. If we have to pay 20 mil so be it, and FSG should realise this too. It's not fair on Nando to carry the burden all the time, and that alone is probably why he looks so pissed off so much.

We need another striker, it's gone on too long. There's no excuse for not buying one. If Torres is having a bad day it usually means we're fucked, we should be able to have hope in at least one other person as and when that happens, like most other clubs and fans can do.

Got to the point in our last game that I was thinking to myself that it isn't Torres FC and that I should chill out, etc. But now I realise it's not because of a Torres obsession at all, it's because he's usually the only player that seems to have a chance of scoring.

If we buy one player in this window I couldn't give a shit about the other positions, we need a striker. We've needed one for seasons now, it should be done. If we have to pay 20 mil so be it, and FSG should realise this too. It's not fair on Nando to carry the burden all the time, and that alone is probably why he looks so pissed off so much.

We need another striker, it's gone on too long. There's no excuse for not buying one. If Torres is having a bad day it usually means we're fucked, we should be able to have hope in at least one other person as and when that happens, like most other clubs and fans can do.

I think we need players who can actually create chances. We have very little pace, and very few good dribblers, and very few adept at final balls. We could have the cream of the crop of strikers and still struggle.

Just been on RAWK looking at a Hammil Youtube somebody posted.

Yes I know Youtube could make anybody look good etc etc

BUT if it is £500K in his contract to sign him (or talk) and with his passion for the club it's hardly a great risk, and at 23 he's a good age.

I remember him well in the Youth team, but hadn't seen a lot of his goals for Barnsley-impressive.

Whilst i agree with your sentiments i would not stop there. We need to add creativity to our team as well as goal threat and coverage. Otherwise 1, 2 or even 3 strikers will not score no matter who we have leading the line.

Hazard and Suarez would have been excellent. Not sure about Hazard's injury and how long he is out for?

If Hazard's out for a while, I would make a speculative enquiry about Adam Johnson and try and get Suarez in.

If the rumours are true regarding Van Bommel then I feel we can leave defence until the summer even left back.

Whilst i agree with your sentiments i would not stop there. We need to add creativity to our team as well as goal threat and coverage. Otherwise 1, 2 or even 3 strikers will not score no matter who we have leading the line.

Hazard and Suarez would have been excellent. Not sure about Hazard's injury and how long he is out for?

If Hazard's out for a while, I would make a speculative enquiry about Adam Johnson and try and get Suarez in.

If the rumours are true regarding Van Bommel then I feel we can leave defence until the summer even left back.

But then what happens when they speculatively tell us to fuck off?

Hazard will probably be joining Arsenal in the summer. He's already said that's what he wants and Wenger said something like "I hope we can make his dream come true." He's too good to join a team that will finish where we will this season.

Edited by Horus

Twitter I would guess, @belgofoot posted this today

"Lukaku watch: In 'Het Laatste Nieuws' Van Holsbeeck says, re Liverpool, "We're aware something could move next week". Comolli is a fan."

Hmm.. the same guy who told us yesterday that we were interested in him. He says it will be a massive risk for us. Also mentions that a bid is likely to be rejected.

I think we need players who can actually create chances. We have very little pace, and very few good dribblers, and very few adept at final balls. We could have the cream of the crop of strikers and still struggle.

Yeah I know, the biggest fault we have is our lack of supply, totally agreed. But without a striker all the supply in the world means nothing, so I'd buy one and play him with Torres in a 4-4-1-1, so that one striker drops back to get the ball from midfield, then he can make some of the supply.

Of course in an ideal world we'd be getting creative players at the same time, but I'm not getting my hopes up for this window.

£25 million for a 17 year old who has only ever played in Belgium? Damn right it's a fucking risk.

At the other end of the scale, the more I think about it, the more I reckon £500,000 for Adam Hammill is going to be an excellent deal for somebody. I don't think we'll be in for him, sadly, but at that price we should be. It's easy to envisage him doing well at somewhere like Blackpool and going somewhere for a £4-5 million in a year's time.

I dont get this N`Zogbia love in at all to be honest, what has he done to deserve the praise he gets?

He is Wigan's only good player so he will be on MOTD whenever Wigan play. Personally, I think he is a left footed Valencia in terms of output.