You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

Former Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has called on the club's new owners to make their new stadium plans public as soon as possible.

In 2008, when Parry was in charge, Liverpool put the development of a new stadium at Stanley Park on hold until after the financial crisis.

Parry expects New England Sports Ventures, Liverpool's new owners, to also conclude that building a new ground, rather than redeveloping Anfield, is the way forward.

"The new owners have been very smart in not making any false promises or predictions," Parry told Sportsweek on BBC Radio Five Live.

"They have taken their time to study the options with great care.

"For them the main thing is to ensure the stadium does what it is supposed to do, which is to secure the financial future of club and not become a millstone.

"Full marks to them for taking their time to make sure they come up with the right answer. I think we will have to see that answer sooner rather than later.

"Initially we wanted to develop Anfield, that was always the hope, but there were too many complications. The idea of building new actually became increasingly attractive the more we studied the options.

"I can't imagine what has changed radically that would lead you easily to a different conclusion but I am not privy to the latest information that the owners have got."

Parry would be interested in a return to Premier League football at some point, but from a Liverpool perspective both expectations and excitement are high.

He added: "Every Liverpool fan has a buzz about them and is looking forward to the new season.

"The new owners are looking for a top four position. John Henry has said that in the last week.

"But weight of expectation at Liverpool is nothing new. Nobody knows that better than Kenny (Dalglish, the manager).

"He has lived through the greatest times at Liverpool. He understands the expectation at Liverpool is to succeed on the pitch."

You would think he would keep his nose out considering the mess he helps us into.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation is somewhat bizarre.

If Moores and Parry had a brain cell between them we'd have been in Stanley Park for the past 6 years.

If Everton had paid £30 Million a few years ago they'd be on the Kings Dock.

It's a shame that city with two famous football clubs have seemingly ben controlled idiots for years.

If the club did decide to go for new stadium, given the choice of 65,000 seater in Stanley Park, or similar size in this new waters development, what would be people's preference, our own stadium not sharing with the mongrels

I'd expect the majority will say the park, but just interested in people's opinions

If the club did decide to go for new stadium, given the choice of 65,000 seater in Stanley Park, or similar size in this new waters development, what would be people's preference, our own stadium not sharing with the mongrels

I'd expect the majority will say the park, but just interested in people's opinions

I envisage a situation where a stadium in Liverpool waters would equal the following

1. Bigger Capacity

2. Potentially better design

3. Better naming rights

Sorry Jon what I meant was our own stadium not sharing with that lot, in the park or the new waters development. As I said I'd expect most people to say the park but just interested in people's opinions and reasons.

sorry richie, didn't realise that.

personally i'd hate us to leave anfield - it's our home. when we used to go the millennium, it was great, a stadium in the town like that was brilliant, but i think we'd lose something if we moved to the docks.

Plus it would be freezing and fucking stink

That's something I've been thinking - it always stinks down the dock road. I'm not sure what's responsible for the stench down there, but any development of that area would have to find out what and make shut down.

That's something I've been thinking - it always stinks down the dock road. I'm not sure what's responsible for the stench down there, but any development of that area would have to find out what and make shut down.

It's a 'water treatment' plant. Sewerage works to you and me.

unitedutilities.jpg

http://www.unitedutilities.com/Documents/Sandon_Dock.pdf

and there's more to come:

A new £200m waste treatment plant will be built on the banks of the Mersey - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

Edited by redasever

If too many restrictions were put in front of us in the Anfield area a new state of the art 'unique' stadium on the banks of the river in the heart of a brand new development would be boss to be fair.

It doesnt eally make any difference to me with regards to transport to the ground because i get a taxi anyway, be strange leaving L4 but I could see a stadium in the dock being a massive moneyspinner so Id love it if that happened