You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deal to be done by middle of next week to bring Christian Poulsen to us for 4m

Are you Poulsen ? Signing a contract and right after that signing here on TLW?

Hopefully you´re not cause I think he is very average player. I don´t rate Lucas and never have, but I would have Leiva ahead of him everyday of the week.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This is how this sits with me:

If he is a back-up for Masch's replacment = great. 4m is fine.

If he is Masch's replacement = holy fuck.

Boooo.

I hope we sign him it will give us plenty of opportunities to practice out set piece defending and we definitely need plenty of that.

He'll bring some finesse and class to the midfield. He should be playing Aussie rules with that shirt front on Gattuso.

[YOUTUBE]tjne4HOKokI&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Rex Banner

I think he's shit and I'm completely averse to this. However - if Roy is using a bit of money he has now to get Poulsen in before Masch goes and then uses the Masch money for a top striker and winger/other midfielder; I'll be happy with that.

i wonder if the quoted price was 10 mill people would think differently. personally i can't get my head round selling a player of 25 million value and replacing with a 4 million pound player, despite what we know of the owners. then again defensive midfields are like left backs in my team - i'd be happy without them and stick another striker on, always works in my U-7s team

Guest Captain Jonjo
Poulsen is a niggly, cynical dog. And i don't neccessarily mean that as an insult. He's better than fucking lucas, albeit a lot older, and if the rumours are true that palermo are complete mugs and actually willing to pay money for the useless brazilian cunt, he'd at least be a decent squad player with a wiley head. Our squad was absolutely pathetic last season remember, for 4million or whatever its not a piss poor signing.

I hope thats a joke, poulsen is fooking old and shite. Give me Lucas anyday, much more composed, grown to become a good tackler, can keep possessions and can play a good pass or two. Poulsen on the other hand, only good for breaking opposition legs, 4mil for him would be a joke.

Ideal replacement for Mascherano then....?

Nah Poulsen is like 100x better than Masch!

Not!

I hope thats a joke, poulsen is fooking old and shite. Give me Lucas anyday, much more composed, grown to become a good tackler, can keep possessions and can play a good pass or two. Poulsen on the other hand, only good for breaking opposition legs, 4mil for him would be a joke.

Nah Poulsen is like 100x better than Masch!

Not!

I see you started watching football two years ago. Be quiet with your shit.

I think he's shit and I'm completely averse to this. However - if Roy is using a bit of money he has now to get Poulsen in before Masch goes and then uses the Masch money for a top striker and winger/other midfielder; I'll be happy with that.

that's extremely optimistic, more likely the Mascherano money will go to banks or in the yanks back pocket

He was excellent at Sevilla and a big part of their success but I'd be disappointed if we sign him. I don't follow Italian football so have no idea whether he's improved or if he's showing signs of being well past his peak but even so, he wouldn't be top of my list of signings - even if he's coming in as backup.

Picking up players like Soto or Luke Young is fine as you can get away with steady players in defence. But central midfield is too important a position to get wrong.

Poulsen will be another Soto

Someone we didn't want but will turn out to be a hairy have a go cult hero

I'm all for adding a bit of age and mileage to the squad and I trust Hodgson on this

I also think the prem's suited to him a lot more than serie A

Boss post

I am completely underwhelmed by the prospect of signing Poulsen and it is disappointing that Roy has confirmed our interest. I am particularly concerned about some of the "transfer fees" being bandied about; different reports say anything from £4m to €10m. He signed for Juve two years ago for €9.75m so it is not unreasonable to suggest he will cost around £6m - quite a bit of money to spend on a player that will be 31 in February. He is also reported to currently earn around £50k a week and will presumably look for a pay rise as part of any deal.

My main worry is that players of Poulsen's age, particularly those who play in midfield, often find it hard to adjust to the pace and tempo of English football. If he struggles in his first season we will have serious trouble moving him on given his age and wages and could be forced to accept a significant loss. I would be prepared to accept this risk if we were signing an exceptional talent but not for a journeyman pro.

In the circumstances, would a player like Flamini (younger and with previous experience in England) not represent a much safer bet even if they were more expensive? Obviously money will have less relevance if we are taken over in the coming days but, given Hicks' and Gillette's prior form, I think it would be dangerous to operate on the assumption that we will soon be flush with funds.

Finally, I would be absolutely livid if the vultures got their greasy mits on any profit generated by selling Mascherano and replacing him with Poulsen before being forced out the door.

I am completely underwhelmed by the prospect of signing Poulsen and it is disappointing that Roy has confirmed our interest. I am particularly concerned about some of the "transfer fees" being bandied about; different reports say anything from £4m to €10m. He signed for Juve two years ago for €9.75m so it is not unreasonable to suggest he will cost around £6m - quite a bit of money to spend on a player that will be 31 in February. He is also reported to currently earn around £50k a week and will presumably look for a pay rise as part of any deal.

My main worry is that players of Poulsen's age, particularly those who play in midfield, often find it hard to adjust to the pace and tempo of English football. If he struggles in his first season we will have serious trouble moving him on given his age and wages and could be forced to accept a significant loss. I would be prepared to accept this risk if we were signing an exceptional talent but not for a journeyman pro.

In the circumstances, would a player like Flamini (younger and with previous experience in England) not represent a much safer bet even if they were more expensive? Obviously money will have less relevance if we are taken over in the coming days but, given Hicks' and Gillette's prior form, I think it would be dangerous to operate on the assumption that we will soon be flush with funds.

Finally, I would be absolutely livid if the vultures got their greasy mits on any profit generated by selling Mascherano and replacing him with Poulsen before being forced out the door.

His agent have returned to Denmark and told the press (tipsbladet.dk) that a deal isn't done. Says it's "unclear" if they'll come to an agreement. They will continue to work on it, but it's complicated.

His agent was in Liverpool wednesday and returned to DK today without an agreement. he don't even know if the clubs have agreed a fee.

Might be bollocks, but why really?

Christian Poulsens agent hjem uden kontrakt | TV 2 SPORT

Guest Captain Jonjo