You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO SOS: In Light of Barca's financial troubles....

Antynwa

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The model of ownership is fine, it's the mismanagement of the club that has caused the problems.

That said, I'm against SoS/ShareLFC's plans. I don't think I need to bang on about that any more; there are plenty of threads with it in already.

There is no guarantee under any ownership model that this couldn't happen.

You could have the current Barca problem, you can have the problems we have under our model, you could have a "Maxwell" type or even an Abramovich model where the sugar daddy pulls out. No guarantees.

The key as in any model is the executives selected to run the business side of the Club. But here's a question - do you think better supporter moderation/oversight might have seen more of a challenge to the sale to Hicks/Gillett back in 2006 if we were all a bit more switched on?

And even if you consider that would not have been the case do you not consider that bearing in mind what we have been through for the last four years or so that better oversight in the future is a good idea and if so, surely the "once bitten twice shy" supporter base are as good as anyone to do that?

Finally, using the Barca example - where do you consider this problem is most likely to happen? Under a supporter ownership model or our current model?

Isnt the Barca thing only short term liquidity financing to pay wages during summer months when there is no income? Correct me if I'm wrong, but my Spanish friends are convinced this is the case at least...

I think I read somewhere that Deloitte's have just audited Barcas accounts and they are €440 million in debt (I think it was Euros but could have been £'s). So they are in deep.

There is no guarantee under any ownership model that this couldn't happen.

You could have the current Barca problem, you can have the problems we have under our model, you could have a "Maxwell" type or even an Abramovich model where the sugar daddy pulls out. No guarantees.

The key as in any model is the executives selected to run the business side of the Club. But here's a question - do you think better supporter moderation/oversight might have seen more of a challenge to the sale to Hicks/Gillett back in 2006 if we were all a bit more switched on?

And even if you consider that would not have been the case do you not consider that bearing in mind what we have been through for the last four years or so that better oversight in the future is a good idea and if so, surely the "once bitten twice shy" supporter base are as good as anyone to do that?

Finally, using the Barca example - where do you consider this problem is most likely to happen? Under a supporter ownership model or our current model?

Not really - afterall, there weren't many shouting about how wrong they were in 2006 when they were making all the right noises and making all the right promises. I doubt any model of ownership would have identified those lies.

Not really - afterall, there weren't many shouting about how wrong they were in 2006 when they were making all the right noises and making all the right promises. I doubt any model of ownership would have identified those lies.

I think you're probably right but the supporters have become more savvy in the last few years and no doubt a major number will be done on any potential new owners.

My point about supporter oversight is quite important though as it is only us that we can trust as our motivation is love and protection of the Club, not financial gain.

I think you're probably right but the supporters have become more savvy in the last few years and no doubt a major number will be done on any potential new owners.

My point about supporter oversight is quite important though as it is only us that we can trust as our motivation is love and protection of the Club, not financial gain.

Hmmmmmm not sure about that, there are definitely pockets of more aware supporters (SOS etc) but we have millions of supporters all over the world, you'd think that given our current plight we'd have more 'anti-Leech' sentiment around the place - not a jot of it, indeed there are still Liverpool supporters that haven't got a clue.

No single club is a good basis for an argument for any model of ownership. Supporter ownership obviously can work and is desirable if done well. The question for me is whether the funds can be raised and the right people put in place and that will only be clear as momentum picks up.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Regardless of how people feel about SoS, they have the club's interests at heart, something we all have in common. This thread is petty nit-picking irrelevant bollocks.