You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson on Torres

Kopite Pete

I think Torres genuinely cares about the club as Gerrard does, and it must be dificult for him to watch it being run the way it is. If I thought my employer planned to dismantle my organisation and destroy any chance of maintaining or achieveing a real quality product I'd be looking to move too, I wouldn't want any part of it but that would be easier said than done, the difference is that Torres has that option.

That being said, he's only had one relatievly fit season here and he's still young, he owes the fans at least one more season to see if the club can finally navigate itself out of this mess.

I would think anyone sane would expect action rather than assurances. If he has a problem (that is still an if), it can be solved by signings that have been promised by our money men and owners.

And he'd be naive ion the extreme to think he can be given any assurances by anyone at the club in our predicament.

I think Torres genuinely cares about the club as Gerrard does, and it must be dificult for him to watch it being run the way it is. If I thought my employer planned to dismantle my organisation and destroy any chance of maintaining or achieveing a real quality product I'd be looking to move too, I wouldn't want any part of it but that would be easier said than done, the difference is that Torres has that option.

That being said, he's only had one relatievly fit season here and he's still young, he owes the fans at least one more season to see if the club can finally navigate itself out of this mess.

All correct in my opinion but I am starting to feel Torres owes us nothing. The club broke promises to Benitez and Hodgson is hinting that Torres feels promises were broken to him too. Could the board maybe have thought promise him X, Y and Z and if we dont deliver he is signing a new contract so we can sell for a massive profit?

Despite being settled on Merseyside, we could have told Torres to pack his bags this summer had RBS wanted a greater return on the loan. That kind of uncertainty and the perceived reduction in ambition are a massive turn off for a successful and ambitious man who is one of the best in the world at what he does. He owes us nothing.

I'm afraid our beloved Torres is starting to come across as a mercenary. He needs to get his ass back to LFC and get on with it. He has a contract no? Whats the problem? We need him to stay fit and score us some goals and help the team. If his only concern is that he wins trophies (remember he has just won the WORLD CUP !) then he should fuck off to Man City or Chelsea. He should show some loyalty to us though because playing for LFC is what has raised his profile and given him a bigger rep. He wasn't a 60 million player when he joined us was he?

Back on topic Torres was lied to and on that basis alone he has every right to leave without any shit flying his way

He's been lied to, Rafa was lied to as well, look at how they treated Rafa in the end. I really wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, I won't think of him in the same way as I thought of Owen either. But if he goes to Chavski, I will feel no sympathy towards him.

I'm afraid our beloved Torres is starting to come across as a mercenary. He needs to get his ass back to LFC and get on with it. He has a contract no? Whats the problem? We need him to stay fit and score us some goals and help the team. If his only concern is that he wins trophies (remember he has just won the WORLD CUP !) then he should fuck off to Man City or Chelsea. He should show some loyalty to us though because playing for LFC is what has raised his profile and given him a bigger rep. He wasn't a 60 million player when he joined us was he?

We havent made Torres who he has become today. Atletico might lay claim to developing him but a player with that talent and his head would always have made it.

We should remember he left Atletico Madrid to win things. If he wanted to finish 7th and play in the Europa League he could have stayed there. He will only stay here if we have investment on the horizon with plans to significanly improve the squad. Atletico are his team, much like we are Gerrards.

Im choosing to believe that by taking his time Torres is doing more than anyone to improve the situation at the club

Im glad he's not simply prepared to blindly accept the boards lies and empty promises

dont lose sight of the real bad guys here

Whatever he decides, I think he should take into consideration that the only place he has realised his full potential is at Liverpool.

Now he has, it makes sense that he wants to win big honours. Where will that happen, here or Chavski? Appointing Hodgson confirmed we're not looking to challenge for big honours. Just steady the ship, I'm not sure Torres wants to be part of the scrap for fourth place next season.

Not his fault however, don't lose sight of who's to blame for this.

Whatever he decides, I think he should take into consideration that the only place he has realised his full potential is at Liverpool.

I agree, there's no doubt that being at Liverpool has made him a huge star and there's no guarantees that he will play any better for Chelsea than he does for Spain. But strikers have to have faith in their own abilities and I've no doubt that Fernando will believe he can be succesful wherever he goes

Yeh its not a problem remembering the reason we are in debt. The issue is whether our players are gonna be loyal enough to hang around. I personally think that if Torres were to leave it would be a selfish act.

He left Atletico to win honours, he won't here, he will at Chavski.

If he stays though, hats off to the man he'll be an absolute legend to me. Definitely means that he meant every word he said about the club and city.

If that is the case then i see little option but to sell him for 60 mil and get someone in who is prepared to play for the team regardless.

You could have included my entire post in your response. Lazy.

A) He has had promises made which led him to sign a new contract. These promises were broken.

B) He could have stayed at Atletico and continued finishing 7th. They are his boyhood, hometown club. Why the fuck should he swap Madrid for Merseyside and settle for a shambles of a club going nowhere?

C) If we show we share his ambition and arent the shambles we have appeared to be for the past 12 months, maybe he might just stick around and challenge for some trophies. In fact we know he will stick around if he feels we are going to progress.

If you want somebody who will play for us regardless, go and offer Michael Owen £5m a year to play for us. Utd will probably accept a couple of million.

Don't get me wrong, I love Torres in our shirt and nothing would make me happier than if he decides to stay with us but in all honesty I'm starting to get a bit fucked off with his stand-offishness. Commit to the club or go, Nando, stop arsing about. If he goes and goes soon it'll give us a shit load of cash to find a replacement or two. I just don't like this holding the club to ransome business.

Nobody but nobody is bigger than Liverpool Football Club. "Player power" gets right on my fucking tits.

Couldn't have put it better

If he wants to go he can fuck off. End of story for me.

Make your mind up Nando.

It`s really that simple. The longer he waits, the more difficult it will be to find a suitable replacement.

Just make your mind up. The constant speculation is not good to anyone.