You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get in!

Fuck off Ronaldo.

Also, just had a look at a Pepe Reina interview on .tv and get on this for a quality answer:

Q: If it weren't for the World Cup, why would you go to South Africa?

A: To hunt sharks.

Pepe Reina doesn't hunt sharks, he summons them, and they come.

The right result.

Spain huffed and puffed for an hour or so, yet Portugal had the better chances up to then. The Spanish defence, and Casillas in particular, looked very nervous and were fortunate not to concede.

However, the introduction of Llorente gave Portugal more to think about than just dealing with an out-and-out target man. It was evident that Villa squeezed further infield, with both Ramos and Capdevila pushing forward, pinning the Portuguese full-backs deeper. Costa wasn't offering much in an attacking sense anyway, but Coentrao being pinned back was a masterstroke. Not only were Portugal's defenders pushed deeper, but their tactics also isolated Ronaldo and Almeida even more than they had been. Suddenly, Meirelles and Tiago couldn't afford to make up the numbers on the counter, and Pepe was stuck right amongst the space needed by Alves and Carvalho.

Spain's midfield creators Xavi and Iniesta suddenly had twice as many options in threatening positions, especially as Ramos turned into a right winger for the rest of the night. Busquets sat back a little to cover any Portuguese breaks, opening the middle for Alonso who had acres to play in.

Suddenly Spain could have scored a hatful, with Llorente missing two great chances, and Villa trying his luck from range. Even Ramos got close after cutting in from the right. It's odd that this happened as soon as Torres went off, but it was highly effective.

The negative side was Capdevila's playacting (doing a Busquets and stopping mid-writhe to look for the ref). It's hard to tell if Costa really caught him since the only replay suggesting an elbow was from a camera up in the clouds. It certainly killed up any momentum Portugal were trying to build, although Capdevila did make one superb block in stoppage time.

The Portuguese can only blame themselves for a dour defensive approach in this tournament. They only scored against the North Koreans, and didn't try to take the initiative in any of their other games. The goalkeeper Eduardo and left-back Coentrao will leave the competition with their reputations enhanced, and Meirelles hasn't done his cause any harm either.

Still, on to Paraguay. Spain would have expected to reach the semis as a bare minimum at the start of the World Cup, and they will still feel that way. Who know, Torres could yet be the key man. Barcelona have played a blinder in securing David Villa before the tournament. They've saved themselves at least £10m by doing so.

Also, just had a look at a Pepe Reina interview on .tv and get on this for a quality answer:

Pepe Reina doesn't hunt sharks, he summons them, and they come.

Haha, he's ace. Some other ones that made me laugh:

Q: Do you know what a scrum is?

A: An ice crum?

Q: Which player has kicked you the most?

A: No one kicks me.

Legend, hope he never leaves.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Ha Ha i was one of the lucky few, nothing like a good threat from the credit card company and i'll start talkin sensible when others do, stupid is as stupid does Testy

No-one gets a refund from Chunky Duncy.

Post a picture of your credit card statement with the refund on it, or a screenshot of your online account statement with the refund on it.

The right result.

Spain huffed and puffed for an hour or so, yet Portugal had the better chances up to then. The Spanish defence, and Casillas in particular, looked very nervous and were fortunate not to concede.

However, the introduction of Llorente gave Portugal more to think about than just dealing with an out-and-out target man. It was evident that Villa squeezed further infield, with both Ramos and Capdevila pushing forward, pinning the Portuguese full-backs deeper. Costa wasn't offering much in an attacking sense anyway, but Coentrao being pinned back was a masterstroke. Not only were Portugal's defenders pushed deeper, but their tactics also isolated Ronaldo and Almeida even more than they had been. Suddenly, Meirelles and Tiago couldn't afford to make up the numbers on the counter, and Pepe was stuck right amongst the space needed by Alves and Carvalho.

Spain's midfield creators Xavi and Iniesta suddenly had twice as many options in threatening positions, especially as Ramos turned into a right winger for the rest of the night. Busquets sat back a little to cover any Portuguese breaks, opening the middle for Alonso who had acres to play in.

Suddenly Spain could have scored a hatful, with Llorente missing two great chances, and Villa trying his luck from range. Even Ramos got close after cutting in from the right. It's odd that this happened as soon as Torres went off, but it was highly effective.

The negative side was Capdevila's playacting (doing a Busquets and stopping mid-writhe to look for the ref). It's hard to tell if Costa really caught him since the only replay suggesting an elbow was from a camera up in the clouds. It certainly killed up any momentum Portugal were trying to build, although Capdevila did make one superb block in stoppage time.

The Portuguese can only blame themselves for a dour defensive approach in this tournament. They only scored against the North Koreans, and didn't try to take the initiative in any of their other games. The goalkeeper Eduardo and left-back Coentrao will leave the competition with their reputations enhanced, and Meirelles hasn't done his cause any harm either.

Still, on to Paraguay. Spain would have expected to reach the semis as a bare minimum at the start of the World Cup, and they will still feel that way. Who know, Torres could yet be the key man. Barcelona have played a blinder in securing David Villa before the tournament. They've saved themselves at least £10m by doing so.

Great summary mate

No-one gets a refund from Chunky Duncy.

Post a picture of your credit card statement with the refund on it, or a screenshot of your online account statement with the refund on it.

Haha what about if i just buy u an amazing,wonderful present with the money,would u like that friend?

Guest TesticleOReilly
Haha what about if i just buy u an amazing,wonderful present with the money,would u like that friend?

Yeah, that's the level of reply that was expected. Later, Billy Bullshitter.

It's funny how the general view of the pundits seems to be:

Ronaldo - didn't get given the ball enough, it's his team-mates fault.

Rooney - silence....

Torres - He's been so poor, his touch is terrible, he should be dropped etc.

Personally i'm quite pleased that 'Nando is having a hard time of it. I don't mean that in a nasty way towards him as i'd love him to do well.

He'll come back with something to prove though and will fucking bang them in next season, if he stays fit (massive IF I accept).

My word, I'd love it if United appointed Carlos Queer-o as their next manager, as has long been mooted.

How on earth do you take a team containing Simao, Danny, Raul Moireilles and of course Ronaldo, and turn them into the most defensive team on the planet, bar none?

What a feeble, timid way to go out of the world cup.

Guest Pistonbroke

Best team won in the end as at least they played attacking football, Portugal stuck to their plan but were fucked when plan B was required.

Can't believe Spain reverting to the diving play acting tactics which has been the reason why i just can't be arsed with them. They have so much talent and skill that it's not needed but just a part of their make up from down the years.

Del Bosque has a hard decision to make now as llorente had a huge affect on that game when he came on and Paraguay will play exactly the same way as Portugal did.

Got in for the second half. That goal was something else, and whoever said Alonso's short passing can't compete with Xavi/Iniesta is an idiot. Surprised he never got a nose bleed from basically playing as second striker for about fifteen minutes.

Llorente is quality. He looks like Patrick Swayze a bit, therefore; get him signed.

Busquets really needs to be dropped, I think. Get Fabregas or Silva in behind Torres and drop Xavi back with Xabi as those two could run a game with their sholeaces tied together.

As for Portugal: good riddance. A team of that talent making Switzerland look like fucking Brazil (not this Brazil) deserve to be fucked off, they're just very lucky they had North Korea in that group otherwise they'd have been fucked.

Onwards and upwards for the Spanish, though.