You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

no.

he wanted Barry, Johnson, Jovetic and Silva. He never got the Xabi money and the additional funds he was promised. Which is whuy he was 'once bitten twice shy' this summer.

Without wanting this thread to turn down a familiar path, where do you think Aquilani fitted into this?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wanting this thread to turn down a familiar path, where do you think Aquilani fitted into this?

When he couldn't get Barry.

Paul Konchesky is fucking shit. I'd be disgusted seeing him in a Liverpool shirt.

As opposed to Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Josemi, Kromkamp, Nunez, Gonzalez, Ferri etc.

I don't want him, but if he came I hope he could prove me wrong, just like Crouch and many others have.

As opposed to Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Josemi, Kromkamp, Nunez, Gonzalez, Ferri etc.

I don't want him, but if he came I hope he could prove me wrong, just like Crouch and many others have.

Just because we’ve previously signed some terrible players in the past doesn’t mean we should sign another one.

Konchesky.

For fucks sake your saying its alright to have Hodgson as manager and now Konchesky as left back for next season.

Somebody think of the children.

hodgson has asked konchesky to delay his move to birmingham while he sorts out if he's coming to LFC. Konchesky is leaving fulham this summer, the only question is if it's LFC or Birmingham.

Yes, primarily because we desperately need a new left back and to increase the no. of homegrown players in the squad, and also because he would be relatively cheap as he is in the final year of his contract next season.

However, Konchesky isn't good enough for LFC. He is a good striker of the ball, competitive in the tackle and comfortable in possession, but he is defensively naive at times and was deemed not good enough during his time at West Ham which is why he was moved on from his boyhood club.

He is probably a better option than Insua at present, but still isn't good enough.

Fulham have been trying to tie him down to a new contract but there has been interest from Birmingham City and he has apparently told them that he would like to move on.

am i getting mixed up here 'cos i thought that homegrown rule was getting scrapped due to being a restriction of trade or some other EU bollox

... or have i dreamt that and my head is fucked up as usual ?

hodgson has asked konchesky to delay his move to birmingham while he sorts out if he's coming to LFC. Konchesky is leaving fulham this summer, the only question is if it's LFC or Birmingham.

Christ, is this what it's come to? Coupled with their Jovanovic iterest, our new main rival in the transfer market is Brimingham!

Fiorentina 5 million offered for Insua

26.06.2010 09.37 di Giulia Borletto

Tug of war between Fiorentina and Liverpool for Emiliano Insua, writes The Nation today. The English club is holding the tender submitted by purple, very important to offer 5 million euros in cash and immediately. At the moment the answer seems daunting Liverpool (Insua calls for at least 9 million), but Corvino that with time things may change. It 's already happened.

wonder why we need cash so quickly, interest payment due perhaps

am i getting mixed up here 'cos i thought that homegrown rule was getting scrapped due to being a restriction of trade or some other EU bollox

... or have i dreamt that and my head is fucked up as usual ?

The effects of the Premier League's 'home-grown' quota rule change

Richard Scudamore surprised many when announcing that all 20 Premier League teams had agreed to the incoming squad regulations. From the start of the 2010/2011 season all teams will have to register a squad of 25 players, with at least 8 ‘home grown’ players registered. A ‘home-grown’ player is one who has spent three years between the ages of 16-21 registered at a club in England and Wales, This incidentally means that Owen Hargreaves, capped 42 times for England, is not by this definition a ‘home-grown’ player. Clubs can then supplement this squad with a B list of unlimited players under the age of 21.

The effects of the Premier League's 'home-grown' quota rule change

Bad as things are, I don't think our stock has fallen so dramatically that we'd need to resort to dross like Paul Konchesky. In addition, he actually looks like somebody who fraternises with the Terry family.

I trust that Hodgson or whoever will look beyond England when we're looking for new players. It's still the way to go. By all means bring in potential like Shelvey or older proven class like Joe Cole (though I know most on here hate him) to fill the UEFA quota, but the real value is in mainland Europe and South America.

We should try and nick Landon Donovan from the Bitters too. He'd be great back-up.

Konchesky is better than Insua. He is in Paul's 'can do a job' category. He is not what we hope for, but he is an incremental improvement. I can't see him lasting a long time - perhaps he will be the first in a line like Josemi, KromKamp, Finnan, Johnson. If you don't have the money, you have to make do or trade your way upwards in baby steps.

A signing like Konchesky under a manager like Hodgson would tell us a lot about our prosepcts of new owners in the near future.

I still think Insua might improve, but never enough to be more than a squad player. The big reason to keep him if he can provide cover is that he counts as home grown at Liverpool. That's worth a few million alone. Should never be near first choice though.

Guest PurpleNose

Konchesky isn't very good, but then neither will any of our signings be.

I'd keep Insua, but wouldn't be surprised if he did clear off to Fiorentina, assuming the interest is genuine.

Konchesky whilst he isn't great would be the best left back we have signed since Riise. A full nine years ago. You could argue Aurelio but he was hardly ever fit. I have nevedr thought to myself fuckinghell that Konchesky is rubbish. He is just steady.

Dossena, Insua, Vignal, Traore have all filled that spot in that time without hardly any success between them. We haven't done too bad I suppose. Left back is hardly a position you have to have a world class player in. As long as you can pass, tackle and hold the line you could get away with it.

We did have a lad called Stephen Warnock who was better than all the left backs we have signed under the past two managers, who is currently in the England squad behind arguably the best left back in the world. Maybe we should have kept him then we probably wouldn't be even mentioning Paul Konchesky as a possible signing, unless it was to replace Insua.

If we bought genuine quality up front and out wide if we get the Masch money in full, I think I could live with Paul Konchesky for a while.

Edited by Juan Galonso

Konchesky whilst he isn't great would be the best left back we have signed since Riise. A full nine years ago. You could argue Aurelio but he was hardly ever fit. I have nevedr thought to myself fuckinghell that Konchesky is rubbish. He is just steady.

Dossena, Insua, Vignal, Traore have all filled that spot in that time without hardly any success between them. We haven't done too bad I suppose. Left back is hardly a position you have to have a world class player in. As long as you can pass, tackle and hold the line you could get away with it.

If we bought genuine quality up front and out wide if we get the Masch money in full, I think I could live with Paul Konchesky for a while.

No one with genuine quality will sit on the bench as a sub for Torres, that's the main problem. While Torres is here we will never have 2 quality strikers.