You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

even though rafa gave me some of the best days/nights of my life, i really didn't enjoy watching us for most of last season. if roy gets us playing decent football and i have something to cheer, i'll be reasonably happy.

with the players we have, top 4 should be a minimum

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but in those statements I see the genesis of the criticisms that will be leveled at him as soon as he struggles. Steady hand becomes limited. Statesman like becomes unable to inspire/uninspiring.

I don't think that's cynical; it's just an appreciation of the way journalists - and indeed fans - think. It's all about results and whenever results falter, the man at the helm comes under the microscope so that whatever he is is lacking in some way and whatever he isn't is the missing ingredient.

The biggest issue with great leadership at any level and in any field is keeping it fresh. The best managers are always open to new ideas and influences; look at Fergie's willingness to hire a succession of assistant managers and then cede a degree of control to them. However, great football managers also recognise the fact that players can sometimes become inured to what they've got to say (the "heard it all before" syndrome) and so they keep the team in a process of constant evolution, selling players on at the first hint of cynicism (Paul Ince, Jaap Stam, David Beckham, etc).

Roy is a long way from that and, at his age, may never get there at Liverpool anyway. He has to establish himself with something of a revolution before he can evolve it and, as such, he's at the first hurdle of his Liverpool career. That said, the hurdles never stop appearing - that's just the nature of the job (and life, actually).

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Hodgson feels his job would be easier if owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks go. “The sooner that happens the better,” he said.

Source

Perhaps not quite the owners 'yes-man' that some people thought he might be.

I don't think that's cynical; it's just an appreciation of the way journalists - and indeed fans - think. It's all about results and whenever results falter, the man at the helm comes under the microscope so that whatever he is is lacking in some way and whatever he isn't is the missing ingredient.

The biggest issue with great leadership at any level and in any field is keeping it fresh. The best managers are always open to new ideas and influences; look at Fergie's willingness to hire a succession of assistant managers and then cede a degree of control to them. However, great football managers also recognise the fact that players can sometimes become inured to what they've got to say (the "heard it all before" syndrome) and so they keep the team in a process of constant evolution, selling players on at the first hint of cynicism (Paul Ince, Jaap Stam, David Beckham, etc).

Roy is a long way from that and, at his age, may never get there at Liverpool anyway. He has to establish himself with something of a revolution before he can evolve it and, as such, he's at the first hurdle of his Liverpool career. That said, the hurdles never stop appearing - that's just the nature of the job (and life, actually).

Timing and context are just as important as skills in great leadership in my experience.

I'm actually most interested in how Capello reacts to the world cup debacle. If ever there was a test of leadership skills that is it.

Timing and context are just as important as skills in great leadership in my experience.

I'm actually most interested in how Capello reacts to the world cup debacle. If ever there was a test of leadership skills that is it.

Agreed. I think he'll do well (with the proviso that he needs new players and that is more restrictive for an international manager than a club one). You don't achieve everything he's achieved in the game by un self-critical. To the best managers, failure is probably just as valuable as success in terms of what you learn.

I'm not a huge fan of Hodgson and as far as I am concerned he should be nowhere near the club. But because of the sham of a search by Purslow this is who we've got.

So we have to make the best of a bad job and let him get on with it with our support. But make no mistake Broughton has said unequivocally that any money raised will be put back into the club. So if Mascherano, Gerrard & Torres are sold I won't be happy but I won't blame the manager. I will blame him however if the money raised goes on lower class fodder for example replacing Mascherano or Gerrard with Mark Noble or Scott Parker and the owners pocketing the rest.

If that happens and it is a possibility then he should resign as not only have they lied to us but they've lied to him.

If he doesn't well we'll all know the score then won't we.

posted this on twitter the day it was confirmed; did i want Rafa gone? NO. Did i want Roy to get the job? No. Will i give Roy my full support now he has the job? Yes... and now seeing his press conference, i've very happy he has been appointed. IRWT (in Roy we trust). :)

To be honest i can't wait for the start of the season now.

The last regime had gone stale and football seemed secondary to what was going on off the pitch which meant the focus had moved instead of being on the pitch.

Hodgson will bring with him fresh idea's and tactics which may turn out to be a bag of shite but then again they may be like a breath of fresh air.

Time will tell whether the appointment of Hodsgon is a good one or not but like its been posted by many people all we can do is give the manager our support and lets see what unfolds.

MANCHESTER UNITED RIVALRY IS FEUD AND DRINK FOR ROY HODGSON

Saturday July 3,2010

By Tony Paskin

Roy Hodgson insists his Anfield arrival will not stop him quaffing wine with Sir Alex Ferguson – even if he has to do it in secret.

New Liverpool boss Hodgson is big mates with Ferguson and insists his friendship will not be affected by the biggest rivalry in English football. Ferguson famously feuded with previous Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez as their mutual loathing exploded.

But Hodgson is adamant that the scrap for a record 19th title will not see him fall out with Ferguson.

He joked: “I know Sir Alex is not really a Liverpool fan so I’m a bit concerned about my relationship with him.

“I sincerely hope he forgives me for moving North and will welcome the fact that we can have a glass of wine, maybe in secret, together.

“I’ve always believed you don’t have battles with other managers. Football teams battle with football teams, clubs battle with clubs.”

Hodgson insists he will bring the good times back to Liverpool – by restoring old traditions on the field.

He added: “I’ve always liked the things Liverpool were famous for in their heyday.Pass and move, that was always the mantra.”

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

Kop job could be too tough for Hodge

Published 23:00 03/07/10 By Paul Smith

Roy Hodgson has taken a monumental gamble joining Liverpool, according to senior sources at Fulham.

The 62-year-old, who joined the London club in 2007 and guided them to the Europa League final last season, is even being tipped to fail at Anfield by some players at Craven Cottage.

Others claim that, although Hodgson is widely respected in the game, his brand of management and style of football will have to change radically if he is going to succeed at Liverpool.

“I’m not entirely sure this is the right move for Roy,” claimed one senior player at Fulham. “He’s a lovely bloke and I wish him all the success in the world but I suspect he might have taken on more than he can handle going to Liverpool.

“He loathes confrontation and can’t handle egos and troublesome personalities.

“He certainly bit off more than he could chew with Jimmy Bullard at Fulham, so can you imagine him dealing with players at Liverpool like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Fernando Torres who have enormous power in and out the dressing room?

“He can also be rigid and inflexible as well. Certain players hit a bad run of form at Fulham but Roy refused to make changes even though their performances on the field were deteriorating.”

Another player said: “Roy likes to surround himself with a certain type of player. Foreign players are less likely to come and smash down the manager’s door complaining about not playing.

“He doesn’t want troublemakers at the club, he wants players who are happy to sit patiently biding their time waiting to play.

“If there are problems he will promise you the world, fail to deliver but leave his coaching staff to deal with the fall-out.

“Personally, I think he has made a big mistake going to Liverpool.

“Steve McClaren is a good example of what can happen when you step out of your comfort zone. Didn’t he lead Middlesbrough to a major European final? Look what happened to him when he left and took over England. It’s a big gamble.”

But it’s Hodgson’s style of play that will have to change if he is to make a real success of his move to Liverpool.

A senior insider at Fulham said: “I think you can get away with a certain style of football at a club like Fulham but that won’t be tolerated at Liverpool.

“Perhaps senior figures at Liverpool and the supporters want a more settled team after the way Rafa Benitez rotated the squad.

“But Roy has a certain way of playing and sticks to it. Perhaps he will adopt a more flexible tactical approach at Liverpool but he certainly showed no sign of doing that at Fulham.

“He also has to contend with a very unstable environment, co-owners at each others throats and very demanding supporters who have been starved of success in recent years.

“At Fulham Roy could manage without pressure but he won’t have the same luxury at Liverpool.

“And I’m not sure how he will deal with Kenny Dalglish, who clearly wanted the job ahead of him.”

Senior Fulham players are septic about whether Roy Hodgson can succeed at Liverpool - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Source

Hodgson feels his job would be easier if owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks go. “The sooner that happens the better,” he said.

Perhaps not quite the owners 'yes-man' that some people thought he might be.

NN, I'm surprised at you! Do you think the Mirror got an exclusive interview (of the approximate length of 3 seconds)? Or do you think the relentless journo, full of integrity, took the quotation from the press conference when Roy was replying to the question, "Would you like to see Liverpool sold?"

I hardly think saying that you would like to see something that is after all up for sale sold is rocking the boat!

The journalist replaced the original question with the "inferred" but more controversial viewpoint, "Gillette and Hicks gone". So would Gillette and Hicks like to see Gillette and Hicks gone - they're selling the club!

Kop job could be too tough for Hodge

Published 23:00 03/07/10 By Paul Smith

Roy Hodgson has taken a monumental gamble joining Liverpool, according to senior sources at Fulham.

The 62-year-old, who joined the London club in 2007 and guided them to the Europa League final last season, is even being tipped to fail at Anfield by some players at Craven Cottage.

Others claim that, although Hodgson is widely respected in the game, his brand of management and style of football will have to change radically if he is going to succeed at Liverpool.

“I’m not entirely sure this is the right move for Roy,” claimed one senior player at Fulham.

Senior Fulham players are septic about whether Roy Hodgson can succeed at Liverpool - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Has everyone gone mad? Has everyone forgotten how the tabloids work!??

This interview is like asking Intangible or Reira for an anonymous interview about Rafa Benitez!

The clue that it is not worth wrapping your chips up in is the contradiction between "implied" senior sourceS and the actual truth of one bitter player.

Dear me. You're making me look like a cross between Charlie Brooker and Columbo!

I'd like to see Hodgson move Glen Johnson to RM, and put Dirk back in his rightful place - striker, either with Torres up front (assuming said player decides to stay) or with Torres' replacement. Do we give Aquilani a chance? Yes, imo. The Mascher will probably be off, so we'll need to.

Hodgson makes right noises in the wrong place - Soccer, Sport - Independent.ie

Hodgson makes right noises in the wrong place

Roy Hodgson's arrival is confirmation of Liverpool's great decline, says Dion Fanning

Sunday July 04 2010

Roy Hodgson has been described as "the perfect appointment" for Liverpool. Although as the writer in question also once suggested that Emile Heskey could have the same impact on a club as Eric Cantona, there are good reasons right now for Liverpool to feel very afraid.

Hodgson will not make or break Liverpool, Tom Hicks and George Gillett have already taken care of that, but his appointment last week underlined one thing: football is no longer the priority at Anfield.

Hodgson was, by all accounts, impressive at his introductory press conference on Thursday but he was always going to be. He is astute at playing the media, saying nothing or saying the right thing, which as far as the corporate class who run Liverpool are concerned is the same thing.

For them, Hodgson's debut was a dream. He was hailed by the media, many of who feel they will be inside the tent once more after the years when Benitez treated them with contempt, and he made no claims on money that did not exist.

Liverpool underlined their position as a dwindling force in English football with the announcement that the eminently reasonable Hodgson would be their new manager.

Hodgson described managing Liverpool as "the biggest job in club football" which in some ways is true. It is the biggest challenge but if Liverpool were the biggest club in world football, they wouldn't be appointing Roy Hodgson as manager. Hodgson seems to sense this somewhere. He is a footnote in Liverpool's history but, more importantly, he is a footnote in Liverpool's present.

Liverpool is now a club owned by banks and run for the benefit of bankers. They have appeared to discount the advice of the football man Kenny Dalglish, although at Hodgson's presentation it was said he was fully supportive. Subsequent quotes from Dalglish, the spiritual leader of Liverpool Football Club, gave his backing to the new manager.

Dalglish is being impeccably loyal to the club he loves but what kind of club remains is, as the new manager admitted, beyond Hodgson's control. He says he has received assurances that he will receive any money from the sale of players but this would be a change of strategy. This regime is also good at giving assurances. The new stadium is already built on assurances alone and Tom Hicks was able to name a completion date without letting anyone know when building would start.

The chairman Martin Broughton last week assured people that unknown bidders would start trying to buy the club by mid-July and he expected the club to be sold by the end of August, even though there have been no bids yet. With these men in charge of an appointment, Liverpool were never going to get a revolutionary or even a visionary. Instead they got the company man.

The distraction is about Hodgson keeping the players who want to leave, the players who would leave, it was suggested, if Benitez stayed. Javier Mascherano seems certain to go while Fernando Torres may stick around for one more season, but he may be more reluctant if Steven Gerrard goes.

One website reported that Gerrard had "given his unanimous backing" to Hodgson. For somebody as conflicted as Gerrard that would be possible but also quite an achievement. Gerrard's backing might not keep him at the club and if Liverpool was still a football club, selling Gerrard would make a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, Hodgson would probably not see the money if he sold him so he has to fight to keep him, but admitted on his first day that it was "to some extent, out of his hands". Hodgson is a reasonable man in circumstances that are unreasonable. They are banking on him staying reasonable.

To date, Christian Purslow has failed to do what he was brought in to do and he fired Benitez for similar footballing failures. Now he has appointed a man who has many friends in the media, guaranteeing an orgy of bullshit not seen since they urged Liverpool to be patient with Gerard Houllier (funny how they never had the same tolerance for Benitez, but Rafa never provided them with the name of a good restaurant in Montpellier).

By the end of the week, all the important figures had spoken. "He is a man of great experience who attends all the big tournaments," Houllier said of his friend, bringing his own touch of surreal flimflam to the proceedings. Attendance at all the big tournaments is now a qualification which must make Malcolm Brodie a prime candidate for the big jobs. Jose Mourinho, who hasn't spent much time in South Africa, would want to watch his back.

The age of bullshit is back with the blessing of Houllier. Liverpool is now peppered with it. In response to one fan's criticism of the decision to sack Benitez, Broughton replied that the media didn't seem to agree with the supporters who were against the dismissal. What this had to do with anything wasn't made clear but the media reaction was, as the official website reported, universally supportive of Hodgson's appointment. They have controlled the news cycle while everything else falls to pieces.

Those who will protest in Liverpool today about the ownership of Hicks and Gillett are wise to what is going on. They are staging their own Independence Day and they know that Hodgson is window dressing. There were many justifiable reasons for dismissing Benitez but none for replacing him with Hodgson.

He makes the right noises in the right language, the language that is understood from the corporate world to the UEFA technical committees where Hodgson has permanent membership. It is the language of bullshit.

"I'd like to sign off on the financial part and leave that to the man sat beside me because he knows more about these things than me," Hodgson said on Thursday, suggesting he hasn't been paying attention; the days when the money men knew about money is over.

But Hodgson is there as a balm. His purpose is not to soothe the supporters but to soothe those who now call the shots. There will be no more awkward press conferences; the bourgeoisie have triumphed.

They talk about stability and harmony. Why would a manager with a club in as much danger as Liverpool want to provide that? "The only complete person is a complete idiot," Tennessee Williams said. For harmony, stability and open lines of communication read inertia, acquiescence and appeasement.

Liverpool will be a quieter club under Hodgson. There was never a worse time to be silent.

Sunday Independent

R oy Hodgson has been described as "the perfect appointment" for Liverpool. Although as the writer in question also once suggested that Emile Heskey could have the same impact on a club as Eric Cantona, there are good reasons right now for Liverpool to feel very afraid.

Hodgson will not make or break Liverpool, Tom Hicks and George Gillett have already taken care of that, but his appointment last week underlined one thing: football is no longer the priority at Anfield.

Hodgson was, by all accounts, impressive at his introductory press conference on Thursday but he was always going to be. He is astute at playing the media, saying nothing or saying the right thing, which as far as the corporate class who run Liverpool are concerned is the same thing.

For them, Hodgson's debut was a dream. He was hailed by the media, many of who feel they will be inside the tent once more after the years when Benitez treated them with contempt, and he made no claims on money that did not exist.

Liverpool underlined their position as a dwindling force in English football with the announcement that the eminently reasonable Hodgson would be their new manager.

Hodgson described managing Liverpool as "the biggest job in club football" which in some ways is true. It is the biggest challenge but if Liverpool were the biggest club in world football, they wouldn't be appointing Roy Hodgson as manager. Hodgson seems to sense this somewhere. He is a footnote in Liverpool's history but, more importantly, he is a footnote in Liverpool's present.

Liverpool is now a club owned by banks and run for the benefit of bankers. They have appeared to discount the advice of the football man Kenny Dalglish, although at Hodgson's presentation it was said he was fully supportive. Subsequent quotes from Dalglish, the spiritual leader of Liverpool Football Club, gave his backing to the new manager.

Dalglish is being impeccably loyal to the club he loves but what kind of club remains is, as the new manager admitted, beyond Hodgson's control. He says he has received assurances that he will receive any money from the sale of players but this would be a change of strategy. This regime is also good at giving assurances. The new stadium is already built on assurances alone and Tom Hicks was able to name a completion date without letting anyone know when building would start.

The chairman Martin Broughton last week assured people that unknown bidders would start trying to buy the club by mid-July and he expected the club to be sold by the end of August, even though there have been no bids yet. With these men in charge of an appointment, Liverpool were never going to get a revolutionary or even a visionary. Instead they got the company man.

The distraction is about Hodgson keeping the players who want to leave, the players who would leave, it was suggested, if Benitez stayed. Javier Mascherano seems certain to go while Fernando Torres may stick around for one more season, but he may be more reluctant if Steven Gerrard goes.

One website reported that Gerrard had "given his unanimous backing" to Hodgson. For somebody as conflicted as Gerrard that would be possible but also quite an achievement. Gerrard's backing might not keep him at the club and if Liverpool was still a football club, selling Gerrard would make a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, Hodgson would probably not see the money if he sold him so he has to fight to keep him, but admitted on his first day that it was "to some extent, out of his hands". Hodgson is a reasonable man in circumstances that are unreasonable. They are banking on him staying reasonable.

To date, Christian Purslow has failed to do what he was brought in to do and he fired Benitez for similar footballing failures. Now he has appointed a man who has many friends in the media, guaranteeing an orgy of bullshit not seen since they urged Liverpool to be patient with Gerard Houllier (funny how they never had the same tolerance for Benitez, but Rafa never provided them with the name of a good restaurant in Montpellier).

By the end of the week, all the important figures had spoken. "He is a man of great experience who attends all the big tournaments," Houllier said of his friend, bringing his own touch of surreal flimflam to the proceedings. Attendance at all the big tournaments is now a qualification which must make Malcolm Brodie a prime candidate for the big jobs. Jose Mourinho, who hasn't spent much time in South Africa, would want to watch his back.

The age of bullshit is back with the blessing of Houllier. Liverpool is now peppered with it. In response to one fan's criticism of the decision to sack Benitez, Broughton replied that the media didn't seem to agree with the supporters who were against the dismissal. What this had to do with anything wasn't made clear but the media reaction was, as the official website reported, universally supportive of Hodgson's appointment. They have controlled the news cycle while everything else falls to pieces.

Those who will protest in Liverpool today about the ownership of Hicks and Gillett are wise to what is going on. They are staging their own Independence Day and they know that Hodgson is window dressing. There were many justifiable reasons for dismissing Benitez but none for replacing him with Hodgson.

He makes the right noises in the right language, the language that is understood from the corporate world to the UEFA technical committees where Hodgson has permanent membership. It is the language of bullshit.

"I'd like to sign off on the financial part and leave that to the man sat beside me because he knows more about these things than me," Hodgson said on Thursday, suggesting he hasn't been paying attention; the days when the money men knew about money is over.

But Hodgson is there as a balm. His purpose is not to soothe the supporters but to soothe those who now call the shots. There will be no more awkward press conferences; the bourgeoisie have triumphed.

They talk about stability and harmony. Why would a manager with a club in as much danger as Liverpool want to provide that? "The only complete person is a complete idiot," Tennessee Williams said. For harmony, stability and open lines of communication read inertia, acquiescence and appeasement.

Liverpool will be a quieter club under Hodgson. There was never a worse time to be silent.

Sunday Independent

Hodgson makes right noises in the wrong place - Soccer, Sport - Independent.ie

I'm not a huge fan of Hodgson and as far as I am concerned he should be nowhere near the club. But because of the sham of a search by Purslow this is who we've got.

So we have to make the best of a bad job and let him get on with it with our support. But make no mistake Broughton has said unequivocally that any money raised will be put back into the club. So if Mascherano, Gerrard & Torres are sold I won't be happy but I won't blame the manager. I will blame him however if the money raised goes on lower class fodder for example replacing Mascherano or Gerrard with Mark Noble or Scott Parker and the owners pocketing the rest.

If that happens and it is a possibility then he should resign as not only have they lied to us but they've lied to him.

If he doesn't well we'll all know the score then won't we.

Apparently Bascombe has said the Yossi money will be used to pay off Rafa and Fulham, not player sales.

He also states Hodgson will have a guranteed £12m.

Plenty of wriggle room here for Broughton and Bascombe as other reports around Hodgsons press conference stated he would have between £7-£12m.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
NN, I'm surprised at you! Do you think the Mirror got an exclusive interview (of the approximate length of 3 seconds)? Or do you think the relentless journo, full of integrity, took the quotation from the press conference when Roy was replying to the question, "Would you like to see Liverpool sold?"

Doesn't seem to dissimilar to me, to be honest. He's saying he wants the club to be sold. It all amounts to the same thing, in my opinion.