You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

But how does that explain the very similar figures of the other two sites mentioned, despite the variations in membership numbers on the three sites (RAWK, OTK and YNWA)?

I watched the polls on all of the sites while they were still 'live', and what struck me, as well as the similarity between those three sites percentage-wise, was that there was, from start to finish of the polls, consistent percentages across each of those three sites, with the respective running totals being similar to the finaltotal for each site, suggesting a consistency of opinion across all three sites regardless of the size of each sample. I didn't notice any sudden rush of people, on any of the four sites, desperate to vote and thus affect the outcome. Nor did I notice any obvious signs of moderators on any site trying to affect the outcome of the vote by encouraging/discouraging an opinion unfairly or disproportionately.

The 'RAWK' argument, I'm afraid, doesn't explain this one to me.

Why don't you post links to the polls rather than use your own memory as reference?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't sell Alonso or Arbeloa, Alonso handed in a transfer request and the other one made it clear that he wouldn't be signing a new contract because he was homesick.

Bollocks. Rafa tried to sell Alonso for nickles and pennies the summer 2009.:wallbutt:

Link to polls or this never happened. It's obviously very interesting to know when these polls were made.

On second thought, no need for link to RAWK, the people active there are clueless beyond salvation so 82.5% approval for Rafa is a bit on the low side if anything. :whistle:

Alternatively, you could do what I've just done and look on the respective boards yourself.

.....'or this never happened.'? Cheeky fucker, just look at the boards and see what's there. Unless it's too much bother,like. All polls referred to were in last couple of weeks, started round the same time of mass e-mail exercise to press re. Benitez' support among Reds fans.

Forgive me for having a Trigger in the Jolly Boys Outing moment here Code ''So what you saying''?

What he is really saying there was much more teams making a challenge for the title than there is now which is basically 3 teams compared to 13 from 20 years ago.

Basically in this decade 2000- 2010

you have had Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds, Newcastle, Manu & chelsea all making realistic title challenges. compared to 13 twenty years back and now in reality we are down to 3 and some may argue two.

Ballagay is a man of integrity and let's not forget ' the housewifes choice '

The man is humble and shuns vanity. His footballing knowledge is comparable only to his humility and sheer style.The man is an icon. He must be heard.

Viva Gwillem, Viva Rafa, Viva Vauxhall !!!

But how does that explain the very similar figures of the other two sites mentioned, despite the variations in membership numbers on the three sites (RAWK, OTK and YNWA)?

I watched the polls on all of the sites while they were still 'live', and what struck me, as well as the similarity between those three sites percentage-wise, was that there was, from start to finish of the polls, consistent percentages across each of those three sites, with the respective running totals being similar to the finaltotal for each site, suggesting a consistency of opinion across all three sites regardless of the size of each sample. I didn't notice any sudden rush of people, on any of the four sites, desperate to vote and thus affect the outcome. Nor did I notice any obvious signs of moderators on any site trying to affect the outcome of the vote by encouraging/discouraging an opinion unfairly or disproportionately.

The 'RAWK' argument, I'm afraid, doesn't explain this one to me.

I suppose it must come back to "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. " and those sites are just a bit slow catching on.

that money was protected, the PL would ensure that all football debts are paid. He was 17m, for a player worse than the one we had. My point is rafa sold 2 players, bought 2 for equal value and made the team worse. It took him about 50 goes at right back before he fluked on arbeloa, he loves this kind of revolving door, I don't think it works. I would prefer to stick with what we have than let him loose again. There's nothing we can do if torres and gerrard want to leave, but I'd be fucked if I'd let benitez loose with the cash, I'd sooner give him his 16m pay off and let someone else have the rest

Bollocks. Rafa tried to sell Alonso for nickles and pennies the summer 2009.:wallbutt:

No he didn't, he tried to sell him in the Summer of 2008, and rightly so, because he was a sitting duck in front of the back four. He was ponderous not only in movement but also in thought and a Xabi Alonso who was/is ponderous of thought is no better than Ray Wilkins was.

No he didn't, he tried to sell him in the Summer of 2008, and rightly so, because he was a sitting duck in front of the back four. He was ponderous not only in movement but also in thought and a Xabi Alonso who was/is ponderous of thought is no better than Ray Wilkins was.

What a load of shite.

What a load of shite.

No it fucking isn't. What is a load of shite is the revionism on here on the basis of peoples favourite fucking poppets.

Xabi Alonsoi was shit for most of the 2007-8 season and in my view was deserving of being sold.

I have no agendas Code, none other than the success of Liverpool Football Club.

Last season was an unmitigated disaster, for many reasons and many factors, the biggest of which was the manager in my view. When the whole doesn't equal the sum of the parts, then it is time for the Manager to carry the can, but to make spiteful revisionsim over the whole tenure of Benitez on the basis of personal agendas is fucking bollocks and there has been far too much bollocks on here for a long time.

Alternatively, you could do what I've just done and look on the respective boards yourself.

.....'or this never happened.'? Cheeky fucker, just look at the boards and see what's there. Unless it's too much bother,like. All polls referred to were in last couple of weeks, started round the same time of mass e-mail exercise to press re. Benitez' support among Reds fans.

So it shouldn't be too much of a bother to you to back your claims then? Or do these numbers exist solely in your mind?

No it fucking isn't. What is a load of shite is the revionism on here on the basis of peoples favourite fucking poppets.

Xabi Alonsoi was shit for most of the 2007-8 season and in my view was deserving of being sold.

Last season was an unmitigated disaster, for many reasons and many factors, the biggest of which was the manager in my view. When the whole doesn't equal the sum of the parts, then it is time for the Manager to carry the can, but to make spiteful revisionsim over the whole tenure of Benitez on the basis of personal agendas is fucking bollocks and there has been far too much bollocks on here for a long time.

God forbid a world class manager who spots the difference between lack of form and lack of class.

I thought Alonso had a decent first season with us, a great second season followed by two mediocre ones before his final excellent season. I am sure the disparity in his performances was partly due to the players infront of him, but I don't blame Rafa for looking to offload him in 2008. I didn't like the way he was touted around like a used car, but the decision to sell him at that stage seemed correct. Obviously like many I would have prefered him to stay after his excellent performances in his final season, but by that time too many bridges had been burnt.

*applauds*

God forbid a world class manager who spots the difference between lack of form and lack of class.

Given that the manager didn't want to sell him in the Summer of 2009 and forced Alonso to hand in a transfer request to make it known to everyone that it was the player who wanted to leave suggests that the manager knows that does it not?

Alonso had a shit season in 2007/8 and Benitez thought he could take the team on in 2008/9 by signing Barry, rightly or wrongly. Alonso then got his shit together and started doing what he was supposed to in 2008/9 and the Manager wanted to keep him. What is wrong with that?

Alonso signs a contract to play for the Club, the Manager signs players to play for the Club, you cant on the one hand applaud a player for a shit season and call the manager a cunt for wanting to sell him, and then applaud the player for leaving after a great season and call the manager a cunt for wanting to keep him and accuse him of selling him....that was and is the point.

I'm on the side of common sense and objectivity, to be quite honest I'm at the stage where I think the problems that the manager causes more problems than he alleviates, but I still doesn't mean I have to sit and read fucking rubbish from those who shout the loudest and allow subjective, jaundiced opinion to pass first into fact and then folklore.

Like I said, there are plenty of sticks to beat Benitez with that are based on proper evidence, there is no need to resort to agenda driven, hearsay, subjective tittle tattle.

Arbeloa and Alonso wanted to leave, they weren't sold against their wishes.

I strongly disagree with the bit about Alonso and its not revionism as thats a belief I`ve held all along.

I was actually banned from YNWA once for stating Alonso was our most important player probably in the 06/07 or 07/08 season, so lets just agree to disagree then, especially since he`s no longer here.

Given that the manager didn't want to sell him in the Summer of 2009 and forced Alonso to hand in a transfer request to make it known to everyone that it was the player who wanted to leave suggests that the manager knows that does it not?

Alonso had a shit season in 2007/8 and Benitez thought he could take the team on in 2008/9 by signing Barry, rightly or wrongly. Alonso then got his shit together and started doing what he was supposed to in 2008/9 and the Manager wanted to keep him. What is wrong with that?

Alonso signs a contract to play for the Club, the Manager signs players to play for the Club, you cant on the one hand applaud a player for a shit season and call the manager a cunt for wanting to sell him, and then applaud the player for leaving after a great season and call the manager a cunt for wanting to keep him and accuse him of selling him....that was and is the point.

I'm on the side of common sense and objectivity, to be quite honest I'm at the stage where I think the problems that the manager causes more problems than he alleviates, but I still doesn't mean I have to sit and read fucking rubbish from those who shout the loudest and allow subjective, jaundiced opinion to pass first into fact and then folklore.

Like I said, there are plenty of sticks to beat Benitez with that are based on proper evidence, there is no need to resort to agenda driven, hearsay, subjective tittle tattle.

Think you hit the nail on the head. Theres plenty of things to pick Benitez apart with. But it never seems enough for some people. They just want to keep going.

I'm of the opinion I want him gone but some people are going overboard with it.

I strongly disagree with the bit about Alonso and its not revionism as thats a belief I`ve held all along.

I was actually banned from YNWA once for stating Alonso was our most important player probably in the 06/07 or 07/08 season, so lets just agree to disagree then, especially since he`s no longer here.

Yeah sure Code, I've got no issue with you mate, none at all. Your opinion about Alonso is valid, just because it doesn't tally with mine doesn't make it wrong. That is the beauty of opinions, they are never wrong in the eyes of those holding them. That isn't the point I'm making though is it?

The evidence witnessed first hand on many occasions suggested to me that Xabi was fucking awful in some games in 2007/8, the Anfield derby of that season was case in point, seldom have I seen such a shit performance from a player since Paul Stewart was here.

If you had said to me that he was our most important player in 2008/9, then you would get no arguments from me on any score...which was instrumental in Benitez wanting to about turn and keep him.

When he did go, he wasn't 'sold' as was suggested earlier in the thread, he handed in a transfer request, because he wanted to leave. It's that simple.

Summer of 2008 he looked like he was 'shot' in Boxing terminology, in 2009 he was his 'Rumble in the Jungle' renaissance season and proved the doubters wrong, and those doubters included me and Benitez.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
"Seriously"?

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/89259-wigan-away-match-thread-2.html#post2164942

Or being told "grow up you child" - in a neg.

I appreciate the double irony.

For someones who has just stated I couldn't wind them up, you are awfully touchy

Anyway, phones getting turned off, and BBQ is getting turned on

Seriously, he is an Olive branch, take it, embrace it, you'll feel better

Doves of peace an that

He might have looked shot to you, but fact is he had an on-and-off season due to injuries. These things happen.

What worries me is that when we have a manager who can't spot class, talent and potential in his own squad, how on earth will he do in the open market? Oh, right...

For someones who has just stated I couldn't wind them up, you are awfully touchy

Anyway, phones getting turned off, and BBQ is getting turned on

Seriously, he is an Olive branch, take it, embrace it, you'll feel better

Doves of peace an that

Your phone runs on gas?

Time for an upgrade me thinks.