You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Valiant kid Jonjo's Kop calling

Hammill

Agree with aws. When you're at a club like Liverpool you have to be very, very good to break through into the first team. That's just the way it is at top clubs and unfortunately Liverpool haven't had a youngster like that for a while.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Site running a bit slow aws? ;)

It's a difficult balance isn't it. There MUST be some home league games at Anfield we could give some youngsters more chances in though without risking losing the game. Even this season our home form has been pretty good.

Why wasn't Amoo on the bench on Sunday? He had something we were seriously lack in the team, and I would much rather have him than Degen. There has been a few occassions this year when that has been the case, although on Sunday Ayala was given a chance, so can't really use that as an example.

However I think we have a collection of young players who are better than anything we have had for the past ten years, so hopefully things will change.

Amoo isn't ready for Premier League football.

You don't know that if he's not given a chance though. He's looked very good for the ressies, and has plenty of pace and power. What harm would 20 minutes off the bench of done him when we have the game won?

Agree with aws. When you're at a club like Liverpool you have to be very, very good to break through into the first team. That's just the way it is at top clubs and unfortunately Liverpool haven't had a youngster like that for a while.

These things tend to work in cycles in my view, the biggest driver at the present time is not the manager rather the legislation put forward by Uefa. Regardless who the manager was I cant see there being too much difference in players breaking into the first team on a consistent level.

You don't know that if he's not given a chance though. He's looked very good for the ressies, and has plenty of pace and power. What harm would 20 minutes off the bench of done him when we have the game won?

He hasn't been consistently brilliant for the reserves.

I've seen him have some very good games and some really average games.

He needs to improve a bit before getting a chance imo.

He's looked outstanding in quite a few games but invisible in others. A really good prospect if he continues to improve. There haven't been too many games this season which have been clearly won after 70 minutes - maybe next year.

I was just throwing Amoo out there, I looked at right mid and then the bench and just thought it would be ideal, I do think he will get his chance next season though.

I think Rafa is more than inclined towards youth, he was very quick to give Potter, Welsh and Warnock a chance, if they are good enough he will play them. I am quite confident of that.

Yeah I know that bit, but he's defo a Hammer.

Oh and people debating whether or not our youngsters have had chances, Shelvey is completely different, he's better than all our youngsters without a doubt in my mind, I think only Pacheco is close to him.

He's a real wonderkid.

I think Rafa is more than inclined towards youth, he was very quick to give Potter, Welsh and Warnock a chance, if they are good enough he will play them. I am quite confident of that.

Potter got ten appearances at the age of 20/21 then went down the loaned & sold route. Boat already sailed for him before Rafa got here but he did have a look.

I believe Welsh only got one sub appearance at 21 under Rafa before getting shipped out.

Warnock was 23 wasn't he?

I don't really count those as youth players, they should have been playing already when Rafa arrived if they were good enough.

Still think we should have kept Warnock.

Potter got ten appearances at the age of 20/21 then went down the loaned & sold route. Boat already sailed for him before Rafa got here but he did have a look.

I believe Welsh only got one sub appearance at 21 under Rafa before getting shipped out.

Warnock was 23 wasn't he?

I don't really count those as youth players, they should have been playing already when Rafa arrived if they were good enough.

That's cos he had loads of injuries. Rafa knew all about him even when he was out on loan.

Yep, slight annoying that, I think Rafa wanted him to stay but as you say he was 23 and needed to be playing, but everytime he started for us he got bloudy injured and was out again.

Signs for Blackburn and the injuries have stopped!

I never thought we should have got rid of Matteo but that's a different story!

What is Warnock's injury record at Villa?

Sometimes it is the intensity involved in playing for a club like us that leads to pulls etc, Blackburn would have been less intense, it does seem there have been a few more injuries now that he has stepped up again. That is essentially what done him at Liverpool, and worryingly it might affect Kelly as well.