You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Gary Jacob, Tony Evans

Updated 41 minutes ago

Roy Hodgson is expected to be in place as Liverpool manager on Thursday — and his first job will be to field formal offers for the club’s crown jewels, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

Real Madrid have tabled a £20 million take-it-or-leave-it bid for the England captain, whom Liverpool value at £35 million.

Torres, the Spain striker, would cost in excess of £60 million, but Chelsea and Real are aware that Liverpool’s precarious financial situation allows the opportunity to acquire their players at knockdown prices. There were suggestions last night that the London club’s initial offer could be as low as £25 million.

Take it or leave it? Leave it, thanks.

The beeb are going with Roy appointed by thursday*, and they don't normally take as many risks as the papers.

BBC Sport - Football - Roy Hodgson poised to become new Liverpool manager

Roy Hodgson is set to be appointed Liverpool's new manager by Thursday, BBC Sport understands.

The Reds were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old two weeks ago by his current club Fulham.

Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job following the team's humiliating exit from the World Cup but Liverpool have acted quickly.

The Englishman will replace Rafael Benitez in the Anfield hot seat after the Spaniard left at the start of June.

"Hodgson has always been the number one target of the board at Anfield to replace Benitez," said Ian Dennis, Radio 5 live's senior football reporter.

"After Fulham granted Liverpool permission to speak to Hodgson, it was just a matter of the clubs agreeing a compensation deal for him."

Hodgson has been in charge of Fulham since December 2007 and signed a new 12-month rolling contract in December 2009.

Although he suffered a difficult start to his tenure, winning only nine points from his first 13 league matches, he saved the club from relegation in 2007/8, securing survival on the final day of the campaign.

The following season he steered the club to seventh place in the Premier League - their highest ever finish - and a place in the Europa League.

His achievement in guiding Fulham to the final of that competition, when they beat Juventus and Wolfsburg en route, saw him named last season's manager of the year by the League Manager's Association.

Hodgson has also managed Italian giants Inter Milan, Blackburn and Switzerland, who he guided to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini, ex-Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic and former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes have all been linked with the Liverpool post.

* already starting off on the wrong foot.

Well at least the source is reliable. That's one way to get quotes into a story just ask the guy walking past what his opinions are.

The BBC usually only post something like that when it's pretty much done as they don’t really see themselves as speculators but more as bringers of the facts. Depressing really as I hate what my club has become, particularly as there is no way this appointment is been made for footballing reasons. It is an elder man been given one last chance with a big club who said club expect the new manager to be appreciative and to keep his mouth shut. It is certainly not been done for top managerial ability reasons as the people the club have apparently interviewed are, to a man, better managers in my opinion. I fully expect to lose at least 2 of our 3 main outfield players and for Purslow to then say that the squad wanted a British Manager so they got the best available and it’s not their fault that the players then wanted to leave. Ignoring the fact he is no where near the best British manager out there. For me, this is a season of struggle ahead to get into the top 10 all but confirmed. I also think we will now go into a period of being a Newcastle Utd type with a couple of managers a season going through the doors. The last remaining semblance of the Liverpool Way where we at least tried to get the best man for the job, is now gone. It’s going to be a long long road to get back to even challenging for the top 4. But I really really hope I’m completely wrong and I'll be the first to admit I'm worng come the end of the season if he gets us into the top 4, but I just can't see us even getting in the UEFA Cup positions next year, never mind the top 4.

I'll be honest I am totally underwhelmed. I suppose my thoughts are summed up by looking at the poll on this thread & Hodgson being the only one I wouldn't be happy with.

I will be slightly better disposed to it if Kenny stays & backs the appointment.

Having said that I can't believe that Hodgson would take on the job if he is expected to sell Gerrard & Torres for ludicrous amounts and not get any funds to replace them. He's a shrewd guy & surely he must realise he would end up hanging from Flagpole corner if he sat back and allowed that.

I think it is ' Buckle up & expect a bumpy ride'

I wouldn't be suprised to see us win a trophy this year, the team is there, I can see Gerrard and Torres staying, if anything because of the lack of viable options for them. The money from Mascherano should give him at least twenty milion on top of the rest to reinvest.

But the reasons behind his appointment stink!

If true how could a club appoint a manager who the fans obviously don't want?

Who do they think the club is for or who keeps it running. Obviously the fans aren't always right but when the majority are so opposed to a decision it's very unlikely it will turn out for the best.

If true how could a club appoint a manager who the fans obviously don't want?

Who do they think the club is for or who keeps it running. Obviously the fans aren't always right but when the majority are so opposed to a decision it's very unlikely it will turn out for the best.

'You have got to get behind him' !

I must have heard this phrase a hundred times over the weekend alone, and that is the reason, he knows we won't do anything, and even if we do, it will be against Roy and who do you think will be getting criticised? Yes, us the fans, that 'deluded sense of loyalty' that James Lawton and Henry Winter were criticising will be the same stick that they will be using to beat us with. Within a month, the phrase 'Liverpool fans, who used to pride themselves on their loyalty and their knowledge' will be used in someway to have a go.

I think he is the wrong choice. I hope I'm proved wrong of course and he will get my support. I have nothing personal against him at all, he seems like a decent chap.

If i am trying to be optimistic, I can say to myself that we could have ended up with worse.

Its a done deal, he's been massive odds on for days.

"Top class managers will walk over broken glass for the Liverpool job regardless of the yanks being here or not"

That's what we've been hearing on here all season. What a ridiculous idea that as proven to be.

For anyone still under any illusions about how much of a dire situation this club is in, this news should wake you up. We are about to appoint Roy Hodgson as our new manager. Roy Hodgson, who guided Fulham to 13th and has won 3 league away games in 2 seasons. Roy Hodgson who's greatest managerial achievments have been in Scandinavia.

FUCK OFF PURSLOW YOU LEACHING PARASITIC CUNT! YOU ARE DESTROYING THIS CLUB YOU BLIND TWAT! ROY FUCKIN HODGSON!! FUCK OUR LIVES

Guest Pistonbroke
I think he is the wrong choice. I hope I'm proved wrong of course and he will get my support. I have nothing personal against him at all, he seems like a decent chap.

If i am trying to be optimistic, I can say to myself that we could have ended up with worse.

Feel the same if indeed he is appointed. Maybe he will surprise us all, maybe he'll not. He made it clear that he wanted funds for transfers so it looks like he'll get them and hopefully certain players won't be sold to account for this.

I suppose it's better for me to say that I wont be against him as opposed to supporting him. I'll support the entire team, of which I count the manager as a member, but I wont be actively telling people he is good enough for us if I'm asked.

I'll support him, but I don't think it's a good appointment.

I'm not sure I can - this is the position the Leeches have put us in and want us to accept.

Hodgson hasn't done this himself - of course he'll accept the position of being able to sit his grandchildren on his knee at the weekend and tell them he is the "Manager of Liverpool FC". How much kudos will that give him. But honestly - if this "intelligent man" can't see how he's being manipulated, how he is being given a poison chalice, how he is being used then perhaps he's not as intelligent as everyone seems to be claiming.

He'll have to earn my respect I'm afraid.