You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good article on Rafa's cautious approach...

Zippy

Guest PurpleNose
No, he is a poor manager. The majority of his signing prove this. His lack of man management prove this. 16 defeats proves this as fact also. Its also a fact he hasnt won another national title for years.

I'm feeling generous so I'll give you the one about him not winning another title while he has a hole in his arse as an opinion. Although it will become fact.

All opinions again I'm afraid. Proving nothing at all.

You're not very good at this.

Guest PurpleNose
I can tell a poor manager when I see one. But you go right ahead agreeing that 'expectations are too high.'

One excuse after another.

Where has that come from?

Actually don't bother answering. You either support another club or you're just a mong.

Has anyone given any thought to the idea that maybe Rafa just needs a strong motivator at his side? Let's assume he's a strong tactician and a good long-term strategist. If his team is properly motivated, his system clicks and he gets the results. This would explain why the final stretch of every campaign features great performances. It would also explain his excellent record in European cup competitions, where motivation usually takes care of itself.

Basically he needs a stronger #2 to get the troops going.

Pako Ayesteran?

Spot on article. You only need to see back to last night and how Rafa will revert to the shite static negative football when the new season starts. He sees a game like last night as 0-0, everything equal, so lets be ultra negative, not concede, and feed of the scraps(free kick last night). And that;s how he'll start the next season if he's still around. everyone starting form the same position, lets keep it tight and hope Torres and Gerrard can be the difference in most cases.

The bottom line for me is this..We play our best football when Rafa's game-plan goes out the window..And that's not someone i want in charge of the club any more. If he can't get these lads playing to their full potential, or even close to their full potential, week in, week out, then he simply is not the man for the job.

Has anyone given any thought to the idea that maybe Rafa just needs a strong motivator at his side? Let's assume he's a strong tactician and a good long-term strategist. If his team is properly motivated, his system clicks and he gets the results. This would explain why the final stretch of every campaign features great performances. It would also explain his excellent record in European cup competitions, where motivation usually takes care of itself.

Basically he needs a stronger #2 to get the troops going.

That was supposed to be Sammy i thought?

It's a nice idea, but with a control freak like Rafa, i don't think it's a realistic one.

Benitez chucked his toys out of the pram because Pako was friendly with mourinho. That ship has sailed and with it, benitez's best chance of forming a title winning team.

Absolute fucking shite.

Know the facts before you start spouting fucking shit.

He's a poor manager

A poor manager? Is that the same manager that won a Champions League, an F.A Cup, 2 La Liga's and a UEFA Cup. And also the same manager that bought such great players as Torres, Reina, Mascherano and Alonso to our club. Yeah sure, Rafa has had his bad buys, but 8/10 times when he's spent big bucks, it's paid off for us. He is by no stretch of the imagination a "poor manager" - so think about what your saying before say it. I know that you'll probably write back with some poor argument as to why he's a poor manager. But all I have to do is refer you to what I have said. Rafa is a top manager that's style doesn't always suit Premier League games. Give him the money and he will succeed. Unfortunately, that wont happen any time soon with these owners.