You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lille vs Reds

Vincent Vega

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the uefa site,

Rudi Garcia reminded his LOSC Lille Métropole side that they were "making history" as they prepared to meet Liverpool FC in the UEFA Europa League round of 16, adding that his team was "not built" to defend.

There is plenty of excitement in the Lille ranks about the visit of Rafael Benítez's side, with coach Garcia admitting that there was little point in telling his side that their main priority was Ligue 1. "If I asked my players to take it easy against Liverpool, they wouldn't listen to me," he joked.

Instead, he dared his men to dream despite the calibre of their rivals. "I'd prefer us to go down fighting playing our game rather than see us just trying to counter our opponents – our team is just not built to do that," he said. "At the beginning of the group stage we weren't favourites in a group with Valencia and Genoa, but we made it through. We're making history."

Matthieu Debuchy, European top scorer Gervinho – who has five goals to his name in this season's competition – and striker Túlio De Melo will miss the game through injury, while Adil Rami is yet to shake off a bout of flu, but the other Lille players are itching for action. Midfielder Yohan Cabaye is thrilled to have the opportunity to take on Steven Gerrard, noting: "He's a world-class player, but he has two legs and two arms just like me. I'll take him on, man against man."

Still dealing with the fall-out from Monday's 1-0 Premier League loss at Wigan Athletic FC, Benítez said Liverpool are eager to make amends although there are doubts over Yossi Benayoun's fitness. "This is an opportunity for us to do things right, try to get a good result and be ready for the next game," said the coach. "In football sometimes you prefer to have some time to rest, but now I think it is better to play games quickly."

We got anyone on a bookin'? Don't think we do like.

"[Lille] have a formidable record at the Lille Metropole, where they have lost just once in Ligue 1 since the opening day of the season on August 9.

"In their last nine home league matches they have scored 25 goals, while their European record has seen them lose just one of the last 16 fixtures at home - to Manchester United in the 2006/7 Champions League."

I almost don't want to watch it's bad for my health. Everytime we play at night I get up at 3 or 4am because the joy of watching us win is worth it but it hardly ever happens.

I wonder what the stats are on us playing at night this season because to me it seems like we almost always lose and I get up just do be disappointed by another shit night performance.

I'm expecting no different tonight really we will just be defending and playing long balls to no one. Our season if fucked half the players don't look bothered and just want the season to be over. I don't see that changing especially now we won't be playing Champions league next season.

Guest Pistonbroke
We on channel 5 for this ?

Yes mate. Coverage starts at 17.45 UK time.

Been following Lille because of my betting. They started the season off really well but have had a bit of a blip since January. One of their strikers who seems to score a few is called Frau which is German for Lady, Woman, Mrs, Miss or wife depending on how it is used. The tart better not score against us !!

Can't see us winning this one myself. A draw would be a good result or even a 2-1 defeat. Take em back to Anfield and hopefully do the business there.

My prediction though. 1-0 to Lille.

Lille's hopes of securing a memorable scalp have been dealt a blow with the news that Gervinho, their top scorer in European competition, is set to miss out through injury.

Coach Rudi Garcia will also be without Matthieu Debuchy and Tulio De Melo, who are both struggling with knocks.

Adil Rami is yet to shake off a bout of flu, and will not be risked, but the rest of the Lille squad are battling for starting berths.