You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A smart arse unplugging a ps3 and plugging in a 360 and saying problem solved.

Thanks. I thought it may have been a genuine workaround, though not one you're supposed to do.

The XBox lot will probably be laughing their tits off right now, forgetting all the RROD problems that have and will continue to plague that console.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think if it was patchable it would have happened by now, no? They said 24 hours, unless they're doing some tests on the patch. I'm entering wild speculation and panic mode, and planning for life with a slim PS3.

It would seem that this is all one can do right now.

I believe that they haven't got a clue how to fix it, which is why they've said 24 hours, in the hope that it will somehow fix itself.

Pretty standard response from a big company when things go pear shaped, though the 24 hour turnaround is a little excessive for an initial announcement.

I got rid of my fat PS3 and bought a slim PS3 when they came out. Mine is working fine and I may have a little go in a bit.

Hope this helps.

Every little helps, apparently...

Enjoy your session if you do decide to go online.

This is ridiculous.

Someone, somewhere is going to lose their job over this. PSN (rightly) gets a lot of stick as it is, to me, absolutely shocking when you put it next to Live. I still personally think it's an afterthought, tacked on to make release. It also lacks basics such as voice chat cross game and it is extremely unreliable, prone to signing in and out.

It is insane that the biggest name in the consoling world has lost 95% of its worldwide audience because of a bug like this. They are saying that it will take 24 hours to fix. That's from the time of that blog being written. It's been down since midnight last night, and I am willing to say it won't be fixed in time so we could be without our PS3's essentially for 48 hours. It's amateurish. Mistakes happen, but this is seriously unacceptable for one of the largest companies in the world.

Microsoft will be pissing themselves.

Guest TK-421
It would seem that this is all one can do right now.

I believe that they haven't got a clue how to fix it, which is why they've said 24 hours, in the hope that it will somehow fix itself.

Pretty standard response from a big company when things go pear shaped, though the 24 hour turnaround is a little excessive for an initial announcement.

Excessive as in too much time or not enough? I think they've shot themselves in the foot a bit. If 24 hours comes and goes then there will be questions.

Fuge, the neg is in the post.

Yeah think there is/was a monumental fuck up of epic proportions myself.

I cannot see a quick fix either and I'm assuming the worst.

If they do release a patch, there will still be an enormous amount of people with no internet access who will still be none the wiser. This will most probably be kids who are at home now getting blamed for breaking their Playstation.

Agreed with all of that AP. PSN is shite compared to Live. I've got both.

Updates take minutes on PSN (sometimes even half an hour.....). Every single update on Live is instant.

Still has it's plus points obviously but I guess you get what you pay for.

This is ridiculous.

Someone, somewhere is going to lose their job over this. PSN (rightly) gets a lot of stick as it is, to me, absolutely shocking when you put it next to Live. I still personally think it's an afterthought, tacked on to make release. It also lacks basics such as voice chat cross game and it is extremely unreliable, prone to signing in and out.

It is insane that the biggest name in the consoling world has lost 95% of its worldwide audience because of a bug like this. They are saying that it will take 24 hours to fix. That's from the time of that blog being written. It's been down since midnight last night, and I am willing to say it won't be fixed in time so we could be without our PS3's essentially for 48 hours. It's amateurish. Mistakes happen, but this is seriously unacceptable for one of the largest companies in the world.

Microsoft will be pissing themselves.

Yes they will, but they've got little right to, seeing all the problems that Xbox users have experienced since release.

It's very tit for tat the discussions about the online capabilities for each console. I, like many others, own both and find PSN to be streets ahead of Live. Both consoles were bought on their individual release dates, and I didn't like Live from day one.

I honestly don't see how anyone can prefer PSN to Live. Live feels like it was designed to deal with online games, PSN doesn't. Obviously it's down to opinions though.

And apart from RROD, the only problem I have had with Live was 2 Christmas' ago when Live couldn't cope with the amount of new sign ups. It was down, but everyone got a free game. It might have been the criminally bad Undertow, but there, we got something. If Sony issue so much as a genuine apology I'll be shocked.

Excessive as in too much time or not enough? I think they've shot themselves in the foot a bit. If 24 hours comes and goes then there will be questions.

Fuge, the neg is in the post.

Too much time for a fix as they are quoted as saying. They should have said that updates would be provided every hour until a resolution had been found and a fix put in place.

As you say, once 24 hours comes around, people will be fuming, more so than they are now.

I honestly don't see how anyone can prefer PSN to Live. Live feels like it was designed to deal with online games, PSN doesn't. Obviously it's down to opinions though.

And apart from RROD, the only problem I have had with Live was 2 Christmas' ago when Live couldn't cope with the amount of new sign ups. It was down, but everyone got a free game. It might have been the criminally bad Undertow, but there, we got something. If Sony issue so much as a genuine apology I'll be shocked.

I thought there was a large Live outage around the release of the original Modern Warfare?

Either way, there are always going to be problems that trip these companies up, and it's unfortunate that they can't be identified until the shit hits the fan.

Bearing in mind RROD affected 60% of consoles in the UK alone (I assume that 60% is those who returned them each time unlike me who watched it fuck up the second and third time then gave up and bought a PS3) an outage for 48 hours isn't the worse thing to happen.

Incidentally Sony quite often offer free films/games with consoles/handhelds. People who bought the original PSP got Spiderman in exchange for registering their PSP, while you could get Assasins Creed 2 free with the PSP go for registering with the PS store.

I guess that's a good point Cardie but if money was taken out of the equation then Live shits on PSN from a great height, i can't get used to the simple PSN player profiles, i miss gamer points too, trophies don't have the same effect.

I'd imagine Sony issued the '24 hours' statement expecting the BIOS clock to tick over to March the 1st at midnight, and hopefully the PS3 will get out of this sync loop.

As for Microsoft laughing at this, the exact same thing happened to their Zune a couple of years ago.

I'd imagine Sony issued the '24 hours' statement expecting the BIOS clock to tick over to March the 1st at midnight, and hopefully the PS3 will get out of this sync loop.

As for Microsoft laughing at this, the exact same thing happened to their Zune a couple of years ago.

If this were indeed true, I'd expect to start seeing updates from people in Asia and Australasia saying that service has been resumed.

I honestly think there is more to it than what is being relayed to users by Sony.