You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Babel and Walcott: The Failed Prodigies

WhiskeyJar

As much talent as these two footballers have, isnt down to the manager to nuture them into their true potentail despite their shotcomings in character?

Surely they still have the potential to become good maybe even world class footballers but at different clubs maybe with different managers.

It comes to a point where someone has to take the blame but in a sense there is nothing or no one to blame. Sometimes a player will never reach their true potentail at club for a multitude of reasons.

In the end though if there is enough desire, hunger and effort then their qualities will eventually shine through, something that hasnt happend for either player.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Walcott a couple of times when he was at Saints, because the missus is a Saints fan and I sometimes go there if we aren't playing. Impressions at the time were that he was lightning, had a nice knack of drifting into the channels, and a hard shot, but not much else.

To be honest, he's not really improved a great deal under Wenger and I wonder if he still feels he made the right decision going there for Arsene's magical youth development, when he would have actually got a lot more playing time with us in my opinion.

I think some players reach a certain level and just think they have made it and when the pressure to perform at the highest level arrives they are not mentally prepared for it. Just because you play for Liverpool doesn't mean you are good enough to play for Liverpool. You still have to go out there every week and prove you are good enough.

With Babel, personally I don't like players to be Djs and models or what not outside of football. David James was the same when he was younger, it always annoyed me.

I think some players reach a certain level and just think they have made it and when the pressure to perform at the highest level arrives they are not mentally prepared for it. Just because you play for Liverpool doesn't mean you are good enough to play for Liverpool. You still have to go out there every week and prove you are good enough.

With Babel, personally I don't like players to be Djs and models or what not outside of football. David James was the same when he was younger, it always annoyed me.

I've seen Torres in more ads and music videos this season than on the bloody pitch. It has nothing to do with that because his commitment on the pitch is 100% where as Babel couldn't be arsed when he does get on.

Walcott is 21, blighted by injury problems and struggling to fit into the modern day systems. As he matures he'll eventually find his natural role, probably upfront. Talk of him failing is nonsense. If he stays injury free he'll be top drawer, absolutely no question about that.

Babel suffers from the same positional issues but he's half the player and weak mentally, although he's hardly had a fair crack of the whip here.

Babel is half the player he was when he arrived, and no I dont think Rafa rates him highly but he obviously has a plan for him otherwise he would have let him go in January.

Walcott has had his injury problems but you can see that he has talenent.

Babel is wasted here. The fans dont want him and he dont wanna be here so it often worries me why he still is here.

Walcott will come good and would be more than happy to have him here.

I've seen Torres in more ads and music videos this season than on the bloody pitch. It has nothing to do with that because his commitment on the pitch is 100% where as Babel couldn't be arsed when he does get on.

Not being a fan of this thing you youngsters call 'popular music' I'm ignorant as to what Torres' involvement in these videos is. Can someone enlighten me?

And that's the problem. Instead of recovering from injury they are flying all around the world to raise their profile instead of concentrating on their football.

Read the rest of the post. I don't care what he does. As long as it doesn't negate his recovery, which I doubt it does, it's none of my business what he does off the pitch unless it reflects badly on the club's moral standards. Babel being a rapper or model or whatever has fuck all to do with his ability to keep the ball.

Not being a fan of this thing you youngsters call 'popular music' I'm ignorant as to what Torres' involvement in these videos is. Can someone enlighten me?

Just the one video actually Lurtzy. The Akon video for the World Cup. The rest of them are pretty old. Most of the ads I bet were recorded earlier too. Like I said it makes no difference to me what he's doing as long as it doesn't get in the way of his recovery.

I watched Walcott a couple of times when he was at Saints, because the missus is a Saints fan and I sometimes go there if we aren't playing. Impressions at the time were that he was lightning, had a nice knack of drifting into the channels, and a hard shot, but not much else.

To be honest, he's not really improved a great deal under Wenger and I wonder if he still feels he made the right decision going there for Arsene's magical youth development, when he would have actually got a lot more playing time with us in my opinion.

so we were in for him then?

Read the rest of the post. I don't care what he does. As long as it doesn't negate his recovery, which I doubt it does, it's none of my business what he does off the pitch unless it reflects badly on the club's moral standards. Babel being a rapper or model or whatever has fuck all to do with his ability to keep the ball.

All I'm saying is if a players mind is elsewhere it could effect his performance on the pitch. Obviously some players will be better at juggling football and their life outside the game but I can see someone as brainless as Babel having problems with this.

All I'm saying is if a players mind is elsewhere it could effect his performance on the pitch. Obviously some players will be better at juggling football and their life outside the game but I can see someone as brainless as Babel having problems with this.

Torres wont allow public stunts to get in the way of his football whereas a weak minded player will not only allow it to burden his football but also to get carried away by it aka Beckham.

I don't think either of them have half as much talent as we were led to believe.

They run fast...and...

If we compare like for like then I would say that Babel has one hell of a shot in that right foot of his while Walcott is faster of the two.

Technically I would say they are equal but when it comes to reading and predicting the play then I would say they both lack.

Torres wont allow public stunts to get in the way of his football whereas a weak minded player will not only allow it to burden his football but also to get carried away by it aka Beckham.

Fernando Torres turns down comedian offer for Pringles advert

The makers of Pringles crisps were so keen for injured footballer Fernando Torres to star in their new advert they even offered to provide a personal comedian to keep him happy.

The Liverpool striker was shown the full VIP treatment, including having a personal helicopter laid on to whisk him down to London for filming.

But Torres, 25, who has been out of action for three weeks with a hernia injury, refused to attend the shoot because he didn't want to ruin his chances of recovery.

The Spanish international didn't want to risk injuring himself again in the shoot, which stars other Premiership stars.

A source at Liverpool FC said: "Torres has turned down at least two sponsorship opportunities since he has been injured.

"He is very professional and puts the club first."

Fernando Torres turns down comedian offer for Pringles advert - mirror.co.uk