You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prem: Gerrard on Lucas | Setanta

Steven Gerrard has told the Liverpool supporters to stop criticising under-fire midfielder Lucas Leiva.

The Brazil international, 22, has been booed by his own fans this season as he has struggled to find his best form and recently admitted that ‘some people don't trust me yet’.

However, he has already received the full backing of boss Rafa Benitez, and Gerrard has now called on the Liverpool fans to get behind the player as he develops.

“The criticism he receives does get to me,” he said in the Daily Star Sunday.

“I think people forget he’s 22 years old. He’s not 27 or 28.

“I remember what I was like at that age and I look at where I am now.

“I know that I’m a one-million-percent better player now. I got better with experience.

“I made mistakes and learned and it has helped me become the player I am.

“Lucas is a good player and I know he’ll continue to get better.”

Gerrard has also called for critics to recognise the contribution of the rest of the squad after the team’s recent impressive run.

Gerrard and Fernando Torres have taken most of the plaudits after the impressive victories over Real Madrid, Manchester United and Aston Villa, but the club captain feels it has been a team effort.

"It's an absolute privilege to captain this football club at any time, but especially when the team is playing the way it is," he said.

"It makes my job an awful lot easier when you don't have to talk too much to players because they are just doing their jobs without that being needed.

"Confidence is really high right now and we're certainly enjoying playing together. We are playing without fear and without anxiety and I think you're seeing some superb football from us in the last couple of weeks.

"I'm playing with magnificent players. Torres and myself have had a lot of pats on the back of late, but it's important to acknowledge our teammates who have been fantastic.

"That's from the goalkeeper and the defence right through to the front.

"The two full backs have been magnificent lately, the centre backs have been the same. I could go right through the team and everyone is doing their job properly.

“Long may that continue and hopefully it will right up until the end of the season.

"If we keep playing the way we have been over the last three games then it's going to be an exciting finish."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gerrard really has matured into a true Captain Marvel. The guy is a fucking LEGEND.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas is fucking shite FACT

I don't think he's shite, just average. But regardless of whether he's shite or not booing him while he's playing is hardly going to help him is it. I hate it when cunts boo their own fucking players. What ever happened to YNWA, do our fans even still believe in it?

The booing isn't on at all and I think virtually everyone agreed with that when the matter was raised on a thread, but I don't agree that Lucas is 'just' a scapegoat, he's earned his reputation through giving more balls away than Nike's community outreach programme.

I feel sorry for Lucas. I don't rate him and have given him my fair share of groans, but it's not his fault he was signed for £6m with such high expectations. He isn't cut out for the fast pace of english football and never will be, but the criticism of him has been over the top.

I don't think it matters what he does, he'll always be a bit of a joke figure among fans as once the perception sets in people's minds it rarely changes.

Anyway, I hope he leaves here with a championship medal and is able to play some part. It's not much to ask to get behind everyone between now and the end of may. We can get back to the groaning in the summer...

I think it's only a small minority of so called fans that boo Lucas.. No player in the red shirt thats trying as clearly as he is should be booed... It doesn't help him or doesn't help us!

In saying that i don't think he's good enough and think we should sign barry as his replacement as he should be cheaper this summer with only 1 year left..

Lucas has had some dodgy games for us, but we've had two or three players in our team worse than him this season, and they don't get the slagging off he gets. I'm not sure he'll ever be a good player for us, but it's bang out of order to boo any player at the ground.