You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2001 Treble

S1 LFC

i've just watched the 2001 treble dvd. hadn't seen it for 3 or 4 years.it brought back some great memories...

emile heskey and michael owen were absolutely unplayable at times. emile looked a real world beater,smashing goals in,what went wrong the following season? (the dj celebration was shite though).

gerrard wasn't taking all the free kicks and corners,instead he was a massive threat in the box,scored a few headers. i wish he would go back to doing this.

he also needs to shave his head again!!

young michael,when he had his pace,was as good as torres is now.

gary mac ended the season like a 21 year old...he was scoring goals every 3 days in april and may.

jeff winter was a prick...nearly spoiled the gary mac derby by giving the dodgiest penalty ever,then proceded to tell everyone to "go away" when they questioned it.

happy times...lets hope we can have a run in like that this season.

Yes, it was a great season and i thoroughly enjoyed it at the time. Michael's millenium goals and gary mac's 300 yard trundler being particular faves.

But look a bit closer at the 3 trophy wins. We beat the brummies from a league below us 5-4 in a penalty shoot out to win the league cup. We absolutely mugged the gooners in the FA cup thanks mainly to a couple of fantastic fingertip saves from stephane henchoz. And we won the UEFA cup 5-4 with a golden goal against alaves (who?).

Now, i'm always the first to argue that they don't engrave any of that on a trophy, it just states: Winners 2001- Liverpool. But perhaps the answer to the question 'what went wrong the following season(s)?' was simply that unfortunately for ol' gerard, he used up 5 years of luck in one season. That and some truly horrific forays into the transfer market i might add.

Fuck it. I'm away to watch the DVD again!

Yes, it was a great season and i thoroughly enjoyed it at the time. Michael's millenium goals and gary mac's 300 yard trundler being particular faves.

But look a bit closer at the 3 trophy wins. We beat the brummies from a league below us 5-4 in a penalty shoot out to win the league cup. We absolutely mugged the gooners in the FA cup thanks mainly to a couple of fantastic fingertip saves from stephane henchoz. And we won the UEFA cup 5-4 with a golden goal against alaves (who?).

Now, i'm always the first to argue that they don't engrave any of that on a trophy, it just states: Winners 2001- Liverpool. But perhaps the answer to the question 'what went wrong the following season(s)?' was simply that unfortunately for ol' gerard, he used up 5 years of luck in one season. That and some truly horrific forays into the transfer market i might add.

Dont talk shit!

When we played birmingham we were in the middle of a busy schedule. Who were they playing?

I thought Owen scored two great goals in the FA Cup Final yet you seem to think we need two saves by henchoz!?

You need to check your facts about Alaves and who they beat on the way to the UEFA final that year.

Numpty.

The season after the treble was good, it was the season after it all went wrong

Nothing compares with the CL-winning season. Seeing how much we enjoyed that season (with only the FA Cup as a trophy really worth winning) is even more proof at how far we've come now.

If we won the same trophies we did in 2001 this season, then this forum would go in server overload at such a disappointing season.

We were shite compared to what we are now.

I love the treble dvd, ive watched it so many times. Brings back great memories and that was owen at his best. Even became european player of the year as a result. Before anyone slags us for playing poor opposition i think people have forgotten that we beat barca in the semi's to get to the final. Either way i don't care i loved it, it was amazing and i'll never forget it. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the uefa cup final and i lost my voice for awhile after that after screaming so much...amazing night and a amazing season.

Trophies for goalposts, Babbel nodding them in, group huddles and fresh pineapple juice in the dressing room at half time, Phlly ranting from the sidelines, Ged's big grins, Sammy's belly - Corrigan's ten bellies - marvellous, isn't it?

and that was owen at his best.

I'm not sure it was, although he was great.

I think Owen was best earlier on in his career.

The hatrick against Newcastle was when he was at his peak, in my opinion. He looked a world beater that day!

Dont talk shit!

When we played birmingham we were in the middle of a busy schedule. Who were they playing?

I thought Owen scored two great goals in the FA Cup Final yet you seem to think we need two saves by henchoz!?

You need to check your facts about Alaves and who they beat on the way to the UEFA final that year.

Numpty.

Numpty? Why do you feel the need to resort to abuse at what was essentially a light-hearted take on a fondly remembered season?

You keep battering your keyboard, and i'll keep going to the games son.

my goal of the season was babbels against the bitters

stood on the front post for their corner, the balls cleared up to fowler on their box he lays it off to a red shirt who turns out to be babbel, he had sprinted 80 yards past all other, he then bends it with the outside of his foot past the keeper

classic

Brilliant season. Owen, Heskey, Fowler, Litmanen - that was a hell of a quartet of strikers. And that Roma game was a turning point in our modern European history.

It was, at least in the minds of the fans, though it didn't feel like it against Basel a couple years later :biggrin:

Helped wash away the impotent years under Souness and Evans.