You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sat Nav - A Cautionary Tale.

Kopite

• 9 months later...

I'm using the back roads allot at the moment. you know the ones that locals know and use to get past the tourists quicker. Well we did a few years ago.

The other week an idiot was following his sat nav with a fuck off caravan on tow to go along this .... its a single track for a mile of road for before, over and after the bridge. Limited lay-bys, only 2 that could fit his car and his caravan in. Its hard enough to reverse over anyway, but when towing something? i don't think so.

_42534611_pontbrewit203.jpg

_42529045_pontbrewit2203.jpg

This weeks one has been the Rhyd ddu area, anyone know it? this used to be incredibly quiet i could quite often hit the speed limit. I've not hit over 45mph in the last week on it. Satnav's are to blame, they are showing people the shortest distance, not the most direct meaning they are pissing me off.

that is all.

Dem crazee Swedes.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Swedes miss Capri after GPS gaffe

Swedes miss Capri after GPS gaffe

The romantic holiday isle of Capri lies in the Gulf of Naples

A Swedish couple in search of the isle of Capri drove to Carpi, an industrial town in northern Italy, because they misspelt the name in their car's GPS.

Italian officials say the couple asked at Carpi's tourist office where they could find Capri's famous Blue Grotto.

The car's sat nav system had sent them 650km (400 miles) off course to Carpi.

"Capri is an island. They did not even wonder why they didn't cross any bridge or take any boat," said a bemused tourism official in Carpi.

Once they realised their mistake, the couple got back in their car and headed south, the official added.

Sat Navs can be reeallly shit. Personal experience of just how shit....

I was working down in Basildon and Benfleet down in Essex once. Having finished the day in Benfleet, I headed back to my hotel in Basildon with the aid of Tom Tom.

So I'm heading down this road and people are staring. I think nothing of it and then the road narrows and there's no more street lamps. Carried on a bit more and the road starts to turn into a track. In fairness, it was the beginning of December, 6:30 in the evening, no cloud and no moon - fucking pitch dark, and the headlights on my car were shite. But having heard the stories about satnav, I stopped.

I could see that further ahead, that the track was narrowing and longish grass was growing on both sides of the track. Got a powerful LED torch out my car and could see that a 100m on, the track eventually disappeared - just TALL grass.

Even further ahead, was the fucking A road I was trying to get onto. And TomTom as trying to take me down this track onto the A road.

What TomTom didn't fucken realise was that the road stopped 50 meters short of the A road (A130, I think).

Worst of all? The A road was about 30 foot over the fucking imaginary road it was taking me down ! I can imagine the next instruction - "Take off vertically and continue for 10 meters, and bear left".

Just glad I got suspicious of the fucking thing in time.

i think theres some sort of deep routed psychosis with sat navs a sort of multiple personality disorder reasoning below

normal journey "turn left one hundred yards, turn right at next exit"

fine and dandy but if so much as think about deviating from the route she turns into a raving lunatic "TURN AROUND NOW GO BACK THE OTHER WAY YOU HAVE GONE THE WRONG WAY TURN AROUND NOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW GO MY WAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!" i ended up having to blindfold my sat nav take it out to a remote area and put it out of its misery its in a better place now and i am at peace with the knowledge that true knowledge comes from the knowledge that i know nothing but i enjoy the journey ahead