You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2001 FA cup final

neko

was replayed on the telly yesterday, not long after the match ended. it made for interesting viewing and a study in contrasts to the current squad.

the team that day was as follows....

westerveld

babbel henchoz hyypia carragher

murphy hamann gerrard smicer

owen heskey

where to start ? marcus babbel. what an incredible performance. broke up everything that came his way from henry and others, and was a constant threat going forward. how much better would the current team be with a player like that ? man of the match for me (owen aside)

hyypia was looking lean and mean and made three goal line clearances - any of which might have sealed the game for arsenal. henchoz was lucky to escape without a hand ball and penalty on two occasions, but overall was solid, if unspectacular. our current central pairing(s) are certainly just as solid and reliable..... no problems there.

carragher at left back ? certainly didn't look out of place. much more adventurous going forward and didn't make any glaring mistakes. i'm not sure if he would be a regular option at right back now, but you can never question his versatility and commitment.

i would imagine the wide midfield pairing of murphy and smicer would have been met with the same howls of protest as kuyt and benayoun. neither contributed much in attack, although murphy was a definite threat at set pieces. when smicer was subbed for berger, the gulf in quality was obvious to see. the patrick berger of 2001 would be a welcome addition to the current squad.

hamann and gerrard took awhile to assert themselves, but didi was perfect in his defensive role, and gerrard was energetic as always. mascherano and the current gerrard would probably offer a bit more, but definitely we are in good shape.

up front, owen and heskey made a good pairing. it was interesting that when murphy was subbed for fowler, it was heskey who seamlessly made the transition to right midfield...... didn't look out of place to me.

owen was a constant threat, and his two late goals were stunning and sublime...... very much the same electricity of torres, i think. fowler was very selfish in possesion and could have sent owen in one on one on a couple of occasions....they didn't like each other much then, did they ?

overall, an enjoyable game to watch yesterday. maybe liverpool were a bit fortunate to win in the end, but i just thought it would be worth sharing in light of all the negative feelings surrounding the CL match.

My memory of that day is getting battered all game then robbing it in the last few minutes.Cue almighty session.

Pretty much how I remember it.

Watched it with a couple of Gooner friends and they were gloating all game, how we were getting battered, the handballs etc.

Boy how I laughed afterwards and all evening.

I was workin and missed the first 5 mins, so returned to an empty house to sadly watch the game on me own. Despite the heroics in Instanbul, ive never felt the sheer joy i did when Owen scored that second. All i remember is sinkin to my knees and cryin hysterically, if i could have died at that moment all would have been well with the world. Still dont know why but that was the best iv ever felt as a red. Getting goosebumps just talkin about it.

Maybe because as im only young it was the first FA cup id seen us win (in fact apart from the league cup it was the only thing id seen us win) or maybe it was sheer relief coz we took one mighty twattin and nicked it!

I was watching it in the Black Horse in West Kirby (shite venue, I know) as I was 17 and knew some of the staff there and could get served!

Shite game, don't remember much as I got pretty destroyed shortly after Owen's second. 89 minutes of getting battered/playing badly and then a crazy few minutes. How fucking good was Berger's ball to Owen by the way? Fucking brilliant stuff from Paddy.

Babbel was the best RB in the premiership that season. The guy was fucking amazing. The guy had amazing stamina and would be up and down the pitch for the full 90. I remember when we played birmingham in the cup final and we were in extra time, everyone was knackered apart from babbel and hamann who were still going for it and charging up and down the pitch. I was absolutely gutted when babbel was taken ill. I was certain that within 2 more years he would have been rated the best RB in the world. Him and Gary Mac must be the best free transfers ever for us.

This game always reminds me of "Have A Nice Day" by the Stereophonics, I think it was played in the credits of the game by BBC. What a great day to be a red though one of my favourite memories. I also have this photo framed on my bedroom wall which I'm sure you will all agree is a decent momento of the day no?

Great thread by the way neko.

fa_cup_pic.jpg

EDIT: That was eery, didn't see your last post neko! My photo must of been taken seconds after that one. Your right about the kit as well that's my favourite away kit ever.

What a great day that was. Went round a mate of my dad's to have a barbie and watch the game, started on the booze at midday in the sun, brilliant last ditch victory, completely and utterly pissed, headed down the pub, sang liverpool songs all night "Rush scored one, Rush scored two..." my uncle got kicked out of the pub for dancing on tables shouting "we won the fucking cup!" over and over again. Ace.