You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest PaddyBerger15
When people started using powerboats on Loch Ness it became too noisy and it emigrated to Atlantis.

This could have been a fascinating discussion, but I fear Colombo has cracked the case with the first reply.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Inspired by Paddy Berger's thread on Atlantis.

Anyways, what do you reckon about it? Does it exist? Is it an elaborate hoax? Does anybody care?

Lochnessmonster.jpg

Another fascinating subject, along with Atlantis, where is Lord Lucan and UFOlogy and one I could talk all day about....but the answer in short is that as much as I and I guess we would all love this to be true, there simply isn't a family of Plesiosaur's left over from the prehistoric age living in Loch Ness. Its a case of people seeing what they want to see, or misinterpreting what they actually have seen on the surface of the lake.

I don't think its an elaborate hoax. That picture you included Faustus certainly was an elaborate hoax, done for a specific reason, but I think that most of the 'sightings' have been from honest, well meaning people who just don't understand what they are witnessing.

Another fascinating subject, along with Atlantis, where is Lord Lucan and UFOlogy and one I could talk all day about....but the answer in short is that as much as I and I guess we would all love this to be true, there simply isn't a family of Plesiosaur's left over from the prehistoric age living in Loch Ness. Its a case of people seeing what they want to see, or misinterpreting what they actually have seen on the surface of the lake.

I don't think its an elaborate hoax. That picture you included Faustus certainly was an elaborate hoax, done for a specific reason, but I think that most of the 'sightings' have been from honest, well meaning people who just don't understand what they are witnessing.

What he said

Guest davelfc

Why on earth would anyone travel to Scotland otherwise? Surely a story started to get tourists to visit a quite boring lake in a cold country that offers little else.

Those in the know reckon that because the loch water is so dark, with very little sunlight penetrating through it, that there are relatively few fish there meaning that there isn't enough food for something the size of the Loch Ness Monster to survive. Or something.

Guest PaddyBerger15

Loch Ness is breathtaking in its scenic finery.

If I was a multi, multi Millionaire, I would buy Urqhuart Castle, do it up and live in it.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Those in the know reckon that because the loch water is so dark, with very little sunlight penetrating through it, that there are relatively few fish there meaning that there isn't enough food for something the size of the Loch Ness Monster to survive. Or something.

Aye, thats a pretty compelling argument against the existence of one or a family of 'monsters'. There simply isn't the food chain in there to sustain a large predator. The Loch is very dark and peaty, the sunlight penetration is insufficient for something that size to thrive, never mind support generations of them.

Most of the 'sightings' will have been Seals, migrating Sturgeon, Birds on the surface and underwater torrents causing effects that people don't understand but which could look like a large, humped 'monster' rolling around on the top of the Loch.

Aye, thats a pretty compelling argument against the existence of one or a family of 'monsters'. There simply isn't the food chain in there to sustain a large predator. The Loch is very dark and peaty, the sunlight penetration is insufficient for something that size to thrive, never mind support generations of them.

Most of the 'sightings' will have been Seals, migrating Sturgeon, Birds on the surface and underwater torrents causing effects that people don't understand but which could look like a large, humped 'monster' rolling around on the top of the Loch.

That's all fine and dandy, but nessie is majic and therefore can live there.

Guest PaddyBerger15
That's all fine and dandy, but nessie is majic and therefore can live there.

True. I'm not that arsed what Biologists say, because I saw the cartoon series as a kid and that sealed it for me.

Guest PaddyBerger15
The family Ness was right all along.

Is right. There were some seriously dysfunctional bastards in that family though.

Guest PaddyBerger15
They must exist.

I heard you've been known to frequent with a monster or two. Hehehe.

Aye, more than two I'd say.