You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2008 Six Nations starts this weekend.

Monkeywool

And after a year of abject misery from an English point of view we go into this tournament with renewed optimism thanks to the crazy ride which was the world cup. We have to go to France again, which, with the French being completely pissed off with us after we dumped them out of the world cup at home won't be easy at all.

England v Wales

Ireland v Italy

Scotland v France

Thems this weekend's fixtures. Teams are to be announced tomorrow. How will England be without Robinson? Will Vainikolo be the answer?

Will Wales be able to challenge with a new coaching structure?

Will Italy be able to build on last year's winning record and challenge for the title?

Will France just wipe out everyone as normal?

Finally will Ireland be able to wipe out their misery of not being able to go through the world cup group stages, despite being packed full of talent and go on to win this one?

It's all to play for and I am looking well forward to it!

Nb: If you refer to the game as egg chasing, or refer to it in any gay terms, or pollute the thread with anti rugby nonsense, I will call up Vainikolo to come and run you over or something.

Can't wait. This six nations could be awesome. All nations going up and down in recent years. Ireland have shit loads to prove as have the French. Italy are no push overs any more and hopefully the Welsh and Scots will front up.

It's going to be good to see what Ashton brings to the table after a cracking world cup - was it down to the older players? Is he a world class coach and motivator? We should find out Saturday.

Just gutted big Lawrence won't be there. A true legend of the game.

So the England and Welsh teams announced today then.

Interesting that Tait is dropped in favour of Balshaw and Vainikolo is on the bench after the impressive Sackey and Strettle are back after mumps and broken bones.

It's basically England v Ospreys, which should be interesting, if Wales can put their pack about a bit, Henson and Hook have the ability to open them up.

England:

15 Iain Balshaw (Gloucester),

14 Paul Sackey (Wasps),

13 Mike Tindall (Gloucester),

12 Toby Flood (Newcastle),

11 David Strettle (Harlequins),

10 Jonny Wilkinson (Newcastle),

9 Andy Gomarsall (Harlequins);

1 Andrew Sheridan (Sale),

2 Mark Regan (Bristol),

3 Phil Vickery (Wasps),

4 Simon Shaw (Wasps),

5 Steve Borthwick (Bath),

6 James Haskell (Wasps),

7 Lewis Moody (Leicester),

8 Luke Narraway (Gloucester).

Subs: Lee Mears (Bath), Matt Stevens (Bath), Ben Kay (Leicester), Tom Rees (Wasps), Richard Wigglesworth (Sale), Dan Cipriani (Wasps), Lesley Vainikolo (Gloucester).

Wales:

15 Lee Byrne (Ospreys);

14 Shane Williams (Ospreys),

13 Sonny Parker (Ospreys),

12 Gavin Henson (Ospreys),

11 Mark Jones (Scarlets);

10 James Hook (Ospreys),

9 Mike Phillips (Ospreys);

1 Duncan Jones (Ospreys),

2 Huw Bennett (Ospreys),

3 Adam Jones (Ospreys),

4 Ian Gough (Ospreys),

5 Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys),

6 Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys),

7 Martyn Williams (Blues),

8 Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Alix Popham (Scarlets), Gareth Cooper (Gloucester), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Blues).

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)

The Irish also announced. It seems they are not changing their side much, despite being so shite in the world cup. Mind you, it is Italy they are dealing with at Croke park, so if any set of players have something to prove and a chance to do it, it will be them.

Ireland:

15 G Dempsey;

14 A Trimble,

13 B O'Driscoll,

12 G D'Arcy,

11 G Murphy;

10 R O'Gara,

9 E Reddan;

1 M Horan,

2 R Best,

3 J Hayes,

4 D O'Callaghan,

5 M O'Kelly,

6 S Easterby,

7 D Wallace,

8 D Leamy.

Replacements: B Jackman, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, J Heaslip, P Stringer, P Wallace, R Kearney.

How i love this time of year - legitimate reasons to be shit faced all weekend plus we're going to twat the welsh

I know sod all about rugby, but it's always a good excuse to go the pub. plus any chance that that smarmy gavin henson bloke could get battered is as good a reason to watch as any I reckon.

So the England and Welsh teams announced today then.

Interesting that Tait is dropped in favour of Balshaw and Vainikolo is on the bench after the impressive Sackey and Strettle are back after mumps and broken bones.

It's basically England v Ospreys, which should be interesting, if Wales can put their pack about a bit, Henson and Hook have the ability to open them up.

England:

15 Iain Balshaw (Gloucester),

14 Paul Sackey (Wasps),

13 Mike Tindall (Gloucester),

12 Toby Flood (Newcastle),

11 David Strettle (Harlequins),

10 Jonny Wilkinson (Newcastle),

9 Andy Gomarsall (Harlequins);

1 Andrew Sheridan (Sale),

2 Mark Regan (Bristol),

3 Phil Vickery (Wasps),

4 Simon Shaw (Wasps),

5 Steve Borthwick (Bath),

6 James Haskell (Wasps),

7 Lewis Moody (Leicester),

8 Luke Narraway (Gloucester).

Subs: Lee Mears (Bath), Matt Stevens (Bath), Ben Kay (Leicester), Tom Rees (Wasps), Richard Wigglesworth (Sale), Dan Cipriani (Wasps), Lesley Vainikolo (Gloucester).

Wales:

15 Lee Byrne (Ospreys);

14 Shane Williams (Ospreys),

13 Sonny Parker (Ospreys),

12 Gavin Henson (Ospreys),

11 Mark Jones (Scarlets);

10 James Hook (Ospreys),

9 Mike Phillips (Ospreys);

1 Duncan Jones (Ospreys),

2 Huw Bennett (Ospreys),

3 Adam Jones (Ospreys),

4 Ian Gough (Ospreys),

5 Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys),

6 Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys),

7 Martyn Williams (Blues),

8 Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Alix Popham (Scarlets), Gareth Cooper (Gloucester), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Blues).

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)

Welsh pack isn't really strong enough at hooker and in the second row. If they play out of their skins they might have a chance but otherwise it's a comfortable win via penalties and short range tries for England I'm afraid.

I think France will win the tournament as a whole, with England coming 2nd. I don't think Ireland will be as strong as they have in recent years but they should still be good enough to finish above the others. I fancy Wales for 4th, Scotland 5th and Italy in last place.

England have a good young team and hopefully they will build on the World Cup and come out of the Six Nations a better team.

I was disappointed that Matthew Tait was left out of the 22, he impressed me during the World Cup and I thought he at least deserved a place on the bench. I'm looking forward to seeing Toby Flood at centre, he could become a class player given a run in the team. As for Vainokolo, he's a beast but I'm not sure about his defensive qualitites, especially if he's peppered with kicks. He's sure to be targetted if he plays at any stage and his kicking out of hand could let him down as well.