You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

12 Years A Slave.

Great cast, but the "slavery epic" has been done before, many times, and very often far better. Django, Mississippi Burning, The Color Purple and (for those old enough to remember) the truly epic Roots all spring to mind.

Very worthy, enjoyable, but seen it all before.

7 / 10

• Upvote 1

12 Years a Slave

Called by one professional review 'The best film ever'. It certainly is not. It's a good film, it's stylishly shot, it's got nuanced characters and it keeps you interested even though the title kind of gives away the plot. I enjoyed it, but to be honest I wouldn't be in a rush to see it again. I have no idea why it is receiving 5 stars on Rotten Tomatoes and sites like that.

6.5/10

Sole Survivor

Think American's do Bravo20 in Afghan and Marky Mark is Andy McNab and you won't go too far wrong. It's basically a glorified shoot 'em up, but as it is based on true events, it is a little more hard hitting. Again, I wouldn't be in a rush to watch it any time soon, and again the title kind of gives away the storyline to a massive extent. Another warm film that can't decide whether to show the true horror and futility of war, or whether to martyr it's victims.

I'm gonna go 6/10

Oh and I watched Man on Fire yesterday too. What a fucking film that is. The performances of Denzil Washington and Dakota Fanning are just amazing and there is such a good chemistry between them. I think it's possibly in my top ten films of all time & that bunch of quilts on Rotten Tomatoes give it 2.5 stars! Knobs!

9/10

• Upvote 2

12 Years A Slave.

Great cast, but the "slavery epic" has been done before, many times, and very often far better. Django, Mississippi Burning, The Color Purple and (for those old enough to remember) the truly epic Roots all spring to mind.

Very worthy, enjoyable, but seen it all before.

7 / 10

Errr what?

• Upvote 1

Kick Ass 2.  7/10.

It was always going to be a big ask for it to live up to the first film. Less laughs, but still enjoyable. 

I do think they missed a trick by not letting Col. Stars & Stripes dog be part of the final face off.

Oh, and Lindy Booth in her Night Bitch costume - I think I'm in love.

Watched a few over the past week or so

Toy Story - pleasant and funny, nothing special though - 7.5/10

The Hunger Games - watered down, masses-friendly Battle Royale, I din't totally hate it though - 5.5/10

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (remake) - couldn't get into it.  I'm not saying it was shit but I didn't get it - 4/10

Waxwork - decent wee horror comedy from late 80s. Some interesting ideas - 8/10