You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest run of songs in a club ever...

Chris

Went out in Leeds again last night to The Cockpit and about 1:30am when I was properly sozzled I think I experienced the best run of 6 songs in my entire life in any club anywhere... not that they were necessarily my favourite songs ever, but it just ruled.

1) Time Bomb by Rancid

2) All My Best Friends Are Metalheads by Less Than Jake

3) Fight for your right to Party by Beastie Boys

4) Dude Looks Like A Lady by Aerosmith

5) Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n' Roses

6) The Immigrant Song by Led Zep

It was totally badass and now I have a sore neck.

Incidentally, I was happy enough just to get in there after being surrounded by the human filth that are the average pub/club goers in Leeds city centre. Rude, ignorant, aggressive cocksuckers.

Went out in Leeds again last night to The Cockpit and about 1:30am when I was properly sozzled I think I experienced the best run of 6 songs in my entire life in any club anywhere... not that they were necessarily my favourite songs ever, but it just ruled.

1) Time Bomb by Rancid

2) All My Best Friends Are Metalheads by Less Than Jake

3) Fight for your right to Party by Beastie Boys

4) Dude Looks Like A Lady by Aerosmith

5) Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n' Roses

6) The Immigrant Song by Led Zep

It was totally badass and now I have a sore neck.

Incidentally, I was happy enough just to get in there after being surrounded by the human filth that are the average pub/club goers in Leeds city centre. Rude, ignorant, aggressive cocksuckers.

Hmm, yeah, I know...awful people. Them scousers, too...just workshy thieving twats. Mancs...dirty gun-toting fuckers. Don't even get me started on the Irish.

Nowhere near as good as this one from Le Bateau a few weeks ago:

1) Rebel Rebel by David Bowie

2) Transmission by Joy Division

3) Mersey Paradise by Stone Roses

4) Time For Heroes by The Libertines

5) This Charming Man by The Smiths

6) Perfect Day by Lou Reed

Nowhere near as good as this one from Le Bateau a few weeks ago:

1) Rebel Rebel by David Bowie

2) Transmission by Joy Division

3) Mersey Paradise by Stone Roses

4) Time For Heroes by The Libertines

5) This Charming Man by The Smiths

6) Perfect Day by Lou Reed

Was that a Friday night or a Saturday night? I go most Saturdays and the DJ has been doing my head right in lately with his choices.

One persons take on going to a nightclub

Clubs are despicable. Cramped, overpriced furnaces with sticky walls and the latest idiot theme tunes thumping through the humid air so loud you can't hold a conversation, just bellow inanities at megaphone-level. And since the smoking ban, the masking aroma of cigarette smoke has been replaced by the overbearing stench of crotch sweat and hair wax.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2147663,00.html

Heebies is just like a Yate's on a Saturday night only they play Amy Winehouse.

Its full of birds who think they are dead 'boho' cos they dress like Posh and all the lads are muscle heads who love the tunes just cos they listen to the Kooks in their car. And if thats not enough, all the biffs out of the local band scene rock about in there.

When I used to go, Heebie-Jeebies was a jazz/funk/soul club. Is it still like that now?

No that shut down cos it didnt do any business only for it to open in its current guise.

I dont blame the fella who runs it, its a gold mine money wise at the minute. Upstairs and the down stairs bit always chocker block.

I like the very top bar but you see idiots and people you'd rather not in any bar in town. Normally a very good atmosphere in HJ. On Friday I went into one of the toilets on the top floor because I had come across a few presents. Couldn't believe how many lads were waiting to use the cubicle, those who couldn't be arsed were just doing it in front of the mirror. Not good.

No that shut down cos it didnt do any business only for it to open in its current guise.

I dont blame the fella who runs it, its a gold mine money wise at the minute. Upstairs and the down stairs bit always chocker block.

What sort of music is it these days?

I don't think I've ever been happier than when "The Choice Is Yours" by Black Sheep was dropped by a DJ in some London style-bar grief-hole.

But then he followed it up with "We Had To Tear This Motherfucker Up" by Ice Cube and "Who's Gonna Take The Weight" by Gangstarr.

Tragically, the evening then turned into some kind of South London MC competition. Still, three peerless tunes on the bounce.

When I was in there I heard, Lily Allen and Winehouse but remixed as if that makes it acceptable.

They also have a DJ who plays decent Soul and Mowtowny stuff. Depends whether your upstairs or down.

Id guess most of the people who go of a weekend end up in Society.

In the club downstairs it's mostly soul and all 60's stuff. In the bar upstairs it still plays some 60's but it's more rockier and commercial. I've not heard Amy Winehouse in there to be honest.

"psycho killer" by Talking Heads is a particular favourite.

When I was in there I heard, Lily Allen and Winehouse but remixed as if that makes it acceptable.

They also have a DJ who plays decent Soul and Mowtowny stuff. Depends whether your upstairs or down.

Id guess most of the people who go of a weekend end up in Society.

Very doubtful :no

I fucking love that feeling when you wake up in the morning with a sore neck, it's the proof that you had a fucking great time the night before. A pretty reasonable run of songs there, Chris, but South in Manchester could put it to shame three or four times a night with it's runs of excellence. A sample might run as such:

Sympathy for the devil - Rolling Stones

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Billy Jean - Jacko

Pounding - Doves

Love will tear us apart - Joy Division

Step on - Mondays.

It is the single greatest club I've ever been to. It rules so hard.